Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Prem Fixtures

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Watford have just missed an absolute sitter there to take the lead.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss

Giggs 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

2-1 United

Ryan Giggs punishes a terrible defensive error.
    Just a minute after Watford miss a sitter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Get in there - Giggsy scores on his 600th start.

United lucky not to have conceded minutes earlier though.

Spurs 0-1 Everton

A Calum Davenport OG

Park is on for Ole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bolton peno saved.

Mike.

spurs 0-2 Everton

Andrew Johnson with the goal

Kilbane sent off in the 1st half also.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Come on Everton!

• Advertisement

Charlton 1-0 Bolton

D. Bent penalty.
    Hreidarsson sent off after 28 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

BBc guy is back on form.

1618: Did you know that Reading are the first team to start with the letter R to play in the top-flight in England?
    1534: GOAL Watford 1-1 Manchester United
    Ashley Young and Damien Francis combine to score this time. Young goes like the clappers down the right leaving Mkael Silvestre for dead and Francis turns in his low cross.
    1541: GOAL Fulham 1-0 Sheffield United
    Jimmy Bullard scores his second goal of the season and it is a wonderfully flighted free-kick. The less said about the celebration the better. The school report would read: "Must do better".
    1608: They have had the best part of 15 minutes to repair the net at The Valley but only get around to it now. No rush lads. Finally with that out of the way the net result is we can finally see some second-half football in SE7.

:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/5285134.stm

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I love it. I used to enjoy the eurosport ones as well on European nights. I'd love that job.

Saha just missed a great chance to seal it for United.

another excellent one
    1642: It is like a scene out of Casualty at White Hart Lane after Joleon Lescott and Michael Dawson collide. There's claret all over the place and Lescott is handed a super-size towle to soak up the blood before being substituted.

Back OT. Saha, has just missed some chance to finish of this match.

Charlton 2 0 Bolton Darren Bent.

Mike.

• Advertisement

1647: Reading have a chance to snatch a draw at Wigan but Chris Kirkland, who likes the idea of becoming a fireman when he quits the game, saves well from Leroy Lita.

:eek:

kdjac

Man Utd just about hold on for the points. Thankfully. With less than a week to go in the transfer window, we really need at least 2 more decent players brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Aquos76 wrote:
    Man Utd just about hold on for the points. Thankfully. With less than a week to go in the transfer window, we really need at least 2 more decent players brought in.
    I'll be happy if we get one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just about done enough to win but 3 outta 3 is as good as it gets with a goal difference of +8. the defence looked shaky, however, considering that we were without neville, vidic and heinze, who along with rio is the 1st choice back 4, suppose we cant cant complain. no game now for 2 weeks, which means that neville and heinze will be back, spurs will be a tough enough game however and we will still be without rooney and scholes, but both should be bursting for the arsenal game. that will be some 8 days at old trafford, spurs, celtic and arsenal, 3 full houses, almost 1/4 million will attend those 3 games at OT (around 228,000). anybody know anything about this Kristofer Haested lad who is attracting alot of interest lately. todays shows we need another signing.

man of match - fletcher

Just watched the interview with Adrian Boothroyd. The man is deluded.

"The reason the top teams are at the top are because people expect them to be"

Interviewer: "Some people will say that you played quite well today"
    AB: "Well then those people don't know what they're talking about do they"

What the hell does this guy expect?

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:

What the hell does this guy expect?

His team narrowly lost to Utd (based on the sitters they missed) so he motivating his team. Makes sense tbh

kdjac

You'd have to of seeing the interview to understand.

Citeh 1- 0 Arsenal, Walcott coming on.

Mike.

Oh dear! Arsenal only 8 points off the pace.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

How did Richie Dunne play today? A clean sheet against Henry and co. can only be a good thing with 7 days until the big match.

Listening to the radio commentary - they gave him a big thumbs up.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

So poor starts to the season for the 3 big London clubs, and Man U off to a flyer for a change. Ncastle still with a100% record though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Uriah Rennie 1 - 0 Aresnal

How this man referees top flight football is a joke. The only reason his is there id say is to prevent people saying why there arent black referees in the premiership. If they are not good enough be them white, black green, orange, red or indigo they should not be there!

NO doubt this wont be the only time fans vent their anger at him.

Arsenal should have had the match wrapped up long before the peno. They just dont seem to have any confidence in front of goal. Hoyte is out of his depth. How long is clichy due back?

Henry for **** sake get a hold of your troops and get on with the game.
    I think with him as captain Arsenal will never win the league altough they would be a good cup side.

Anyway maybe Wenger will realise he needs to bring in some new experienced players that have reached puperty!
    Cole, Reyes on the way out. Bergkamp and Pires out and only Rosicky in. Last year the squad was weak. This season ite even worse. Sure loads of potential there but thats all it is POTENTIAL!

Looks like a scrap for 4th again and a good fa/euro cup run :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

First time I got to watch united from start to finish this season. We look our old selves. Clearly the better team today but through sloppy play and an overall lack of leadership to drive the team on we let watford back in and cause us some real worry.

We desperately need Scholes, Heinze and Rooney back asap. Couple that with another midfield signing. Carrick was very quiet, I fullly expect him to play a big part for us this year but its clear he will not be breaking down opposing attacks. We need a holding midfield badly.

Silvestre......... How da funk is this guy still getting a game? He is causing chaos in the back line. And he has imo given away two penalties in the past two games.

As for Watford, they may cause teams trouble this year. However I cant help but feel they are missing one or two quality players that can really turn a match for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

giles needs to be taken out back and shot

"egger" plays in defence now for liverpool

and liverpool arent good enough :s the rte panel need to just be fired, just play the highlights and fire the monkeys

• Advertisement

a week into the season and im sick of the rte coverage already!! houghton is a good co commentator and the only pundit they have is dunphy, the rest are simply terrible!they just jump on the bandwagon with what ever everyone else says, jim beglin really annoyed me today with his useless comments, was fair tempted to listen to ron jones and lou macari on today fm,

if only Michael o Muiraheartiagh or Jim Carney could do the commentary for the soccer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What an outstanding performance by Manchester City in a week when the spotlight has been on the club for all the wrong reasons. Restricted Arsenal to a couple of chances in the first half and absolutely nothing in the second.

Joey Barton was a clear man of the match, bossing the midfield ahead of both Fabregas and Gilberto. Our own Richard Dunne was outstanding at the back. Easily Ireland's best defender and, on form, one of the best in the Premiership. Trevor Sinclair showed he still has plenty to offer, Dickov ran his heart out and the younger lads like Richards and Jordan at full back showed they can more than cope at the highest level.

Well done to the lads and in particular to Stuart Pearce for putting the smile back on our faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Everton rise to 2nd, now if we can dig in and hold here for another 35 games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Another good win for United, happy to see us have an 5 point gap with Arsenal already, and hopefully Chelsea can be hit again today, let's pray :)

Fletcher really doing well this season, let's hope he can continue it.

Xavi6 wrote:
    What an outstanding performance by Manchester City in a week when the spotlight has been on the club for all the wrong reasons. Restricted Arsenal to a couple of chances in the first half and absolutely nothing in the second.

Joey Barton was a clear man of the match, bossing the midfield ahead of both Fabregas and Gilberto. Our own Richard Dunne was outstanding at the back. Easily Ireland's best defender and, on form, one of the best in the Premiership. Trevor Sinclair showed he still has plenty to offer, Dickov ran his heart out and the younger lads like Richards and Jordan at full back showed they can more than cope at the highest level.

Well done to the lads and in particular to Stuart Pearce for putting the smile back on our faces.
    City had 46% of possession, he clearly wasn't bossing the midfield. Dunne was the best player there yesterday, not Barton.

Henry was so poor, he shouldn't play if he isn't fit. He barely even jogged all game. Van Persie can't buy a goal lately, nothing will go in for him. Wenger needs to get a hold of Hleb and tell him to stop cutting inside all the fricking time.

Dire finishing and some pretty horrific defending from Arsenal, as well as the usual over-playing it. At this rate Walcott will be getting a LOT more playing time. The only positive I can see from yesterday was Fabregas, I thought he was excellent. He's still growing and clearly getting stronger which is encouraging.

Oh, and Uriah Rennie is a clown, but we knew that already.

City had 46% of possession, he clearly wasn't bossing the midfield.

How much possession do you get for winning a tackle? Everytime Gilberto or Fabregas got the ball he was biting at their heals. The last fifteen minutes saw City win the ball back and just hoof it clear in the expected 'anywhere will do' tactic. Hence Arsenal having more possession (and doing absolutely nothing with it).

As for the referee? Even if Rennie wasn't there they still didn't deserve anything based on the performance. Henry was terrible and clearly not match fit, Van Persie lost the head early on to get booked and never recovered, and both Eboue and Hoyte had their defensive frailties exploited on numerous occassions.

Xavi6 wrote:
    How much possession do you get for winning a tackle? Everytime Gilberto or Fabregas got the ball he was biting at their heals. The last fifteen minutes saw City win the ball back and just hoof it clear in the expected 'anywhere will do' tactic. Hence Arsenal having more possession (and doing absolutely nothing with it).
    Well if he was bossing the midfield by winning tackles, then presumeably City would have had more possession... :p City had less of the ball all afternoon, not just in the last 15 minutes.
    Again, Arsenal were left shaking their heads when Kolo Touré nodded against the bar from Fabregas's corner. The Gunners still looked uneasy at the back early in the second half as Barton squared only for Dickov to send his shot too close to Lehmann.

The more familiar pattern of City being pushed back resumed, though, with Van Persie driving a yard wide. Chances continued to arrive for Arsenal, whose exasperation was summed up by two hopelessly wayward Henry free-kicks that took his tally of unsuccessful goal attempts to eight. That said, Van Persie should have equalised with a header he powered wide when Fabregas's corner found him inside the six-yard area.
    Sounds like absolutely nothing alright. Arsenal should have easily beaten City yesterday, they hit the woodwork twice and missed a hatful of easy chances (though City had a few too). City defended well in the second half, but if Arsenal's finishing wasn't so poor but they would have been playing for damage control at that stage.
    As for the referee? Even if Rennie wasn't there they still didn't deserve anything based on the performance. Henry was terrible and clearly not match fit, Van Persie lost the head early on to get booked and never recovered, and both Eboue and Hoyte had their defensive frailties exploited on numerous occassions.
    Haha the old 'deserves' chest-nut, entirely dependant on the result. Had Rennie not been there yesterday City probably wouldn't have won and the gutsy defending self-congratulation would be transformed into 'we've got nothing in attack' and Arsenal would be getting praise for not giving up. City scored a controversial penalty against the run of play and parked the bus. Who deserves what is irrelevant.

If you read my previous post again you will see that my comment about Arsenal doing nothing with their possession refers to the final fifteen minutes when they were dominating the game. Van Persie had a header just wide but other than that Weaver had a fairly care free final quarter of an hour.

I find it amusing how bitter the big guns get when they make a slip up against one of us mid table teams and fail to give credit where it's due. We all know Arsenal are a far better team in terms of quality and ability so that makes City's victory even better, no matter how they did it.

Xavi6 wrote:
    If you read my previous post again you will see that my comment about Arsenal doing nothing with their possession refers to the final fifteen minutes when they were dominating the game. Van Persie had a header just wide but other than that Weaver had a fairly care free final quarter of an hour.
    And if you read your earlier post again, you'll see that you said that Arsenal had absolutely no chances in the second half.
    I find it amusing how bitter the big guns get when they make a slip up against one of us mid table teams and fail to give credit where it's due. We all know Arsenal are a far better team in terms of quality and ability so that makes City's victory even better, no matter how they did it.
    I'm not sure if this is a reference to me as a supporter or Wenger or the players, but if it is to me, well I'm sorry but I've no great interest in discussing Man City - I prefer to focus on Arsenal as they are my main interest, and as I've intimated, they just weren't good enough yesterday. Something needs to change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Something needs to change.

Reyes and Cole are unsettling the team IMO. Get rid of them.

And some shooting practice may not be too harmfull either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Martins Starts for Newcastle. I wonder how quickly he will settle into the premiership?

1-0 Villa Luke Moore :(

2-0 Villa :( Angel.

Newcastle have all the possesion, just not making it count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Villa Villa Villa Villa!

I'm following this in work on yahoo matchcast.

says newcastle have 65% possession.

5 attempts on goal all off target. Villa have had 2 on target and are two nil up, thats what i call making your chances count.
    G'wan the Villa.

Ballack starts for Chelsea, Shev as lone striker with Cech in goal.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Martins off injured!!! Looked a nothing challenge, off on a stretcher though :(

No luck at all for Newcastle, this is not going to be our season, I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Owen injured last season. Owen injured in pre-season. Ameobi injured on the opening day of the season. Martins injured on his debut. The club is fcuking cursed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

mike65 wrote:
    Ballack starts for Chelsea, Shev as lone striker with Cech in goal.

Mike.
    Kalou is playing up front too, no?!

Looks like Chelsea are playing their first choice midfield - a wingless 4-man midfield with 2 DMs and 2 AMs. It'll probably work better when they get in Ashley Cole making runs on the outside left.

PREM: HT Blackburn 0-0 Chelsea

SofaKing wrote:
    Kalou is playing up front too, no?!

Looks like Chelsea are playing their first choice midfield - a wingless 4-man midfield with 2 DMs and 2 AMs. It'll probably work better when they get in Ashley Cole making runs on the outside left.
    Certainly looks that way on my paper, my housemate is none too impressed by it thus far. Can't be arsed watching it myself, can't imagine anyone who isn't a Blackburn or Chelsea fan who would want to put themselves through 90 minutes of that tbh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement