Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to rug up a horse?

Options
  • 25-08-2006 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me some advice on when to start rugging up my horse (he's my first!)? He's kept at livery atm and while everyone there has been helpful and has given me advice, so far its all been contradictory. I was hoping a few posts here might give me a more balanced view of what to do!

He's a 5yr old ISH who's living out at the present but will be coming in during the winter. I have a nice new light-weight rug ready to go. I don't want to over heat him but on the last couple of rainy days he's been looking a bit miserable but is no way cold.

Any help would be appreciated.... Even if its just to confirm some the advice I've already got.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`d say leave him be at present, the weather hasn`t been too bad at all. What kind of condition is he in?, horses are a lot hardier than you think. Is he harm, like armpit and base of the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Hi there

I would second that generally you would rug up after the winter coat has come and definitely after you clipped the horse. Although if it is a native horse you don't have to rug unless you have clipped. Just basically feel the ears see if they are warm or cold they are a good indication as to the true temperature. If you notice that the horse is loosing condition while still on the same feed then he might also be too cold and has to use its reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could throw a lightweight on him now if he's really miserable. This will also prevent his winter coat growing very thick. Its not something I do though. The rug goes on mine when they're clipped and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My TB is outside 24/7. She is fine and wont be rugged up until it gets really cold.

Advertisement