Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What to look for in a HD TV???

• 25-08-2006 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right section for this.

I was wondering what I should be looking for when buying a HD TV. I came across a tv with the following spec:

Huge 40" Samsung LCD panel with anti-reflective coating
    Fully HD Ready LCD TV with HDMI interface - no loss of picture or sound
    1366 × 768 pixel resolution
    Includes 2 HDMI ports
    Contrast ratio 1200:1
    Brightness: 500cd/m2
    HDTV (480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p) with HDCP decoding
    Digital audio amplifiers with 2 × 15W speakers
    Nicam stereo
    Teletext
    99 programme memory
    3D comb filter
    Digital noise reduction
    Child lock
    Sleep timer
    Headphone socket
    Remote control - batteries included
    FREE tilting wall bracket (±15°)
    Dimensions: 1013 × 310 × 735mm (with stand) or 1010 × 125 × 690mm (without stand)
    Weight: 25kg (with stand) or 21.3kg (without stand)
    Scart lead and RF lead included
    Free 3 year warranty typically worth €299.00

Is this a good HDTV??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Pretty much yeah.
    Where is this from?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Aldi
    see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

It needs to be pointed out that that unit is not a Samsung , its a Tevion , there is a world of difference between a Samsung TV and a Tevion.

And before anyone mentions it , it may well use a samsung Module from the factory ( as do Sony ) but there is a huge amount of electronics to be added to this to make a TV. All of them critical to the quality of the final product , such as scalers , interface electronics etc.

There have been similar posts on this issue before , just so as ye know before parting with your cash lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

So whats the difference between 1080i * 720p and 1366 * 768 and which is the best to go for?

mathias wrote:
    It needs to be pointed out that that unit is not a Samsung , its a Tevion , there is a world of difference between a Samsung TV and a Tevion.

And before anyone mentions it , it may well use a samsung Module from the factory ( as do Sony ) but there is a huge amount of electronics to be added to this to make a TV. All of them critical to the quality of the final product , such as scalers , interface electronics etc.

There have been similar posts on this issue before , just so as ye know before parting with your cash lads :)

That's what I was wondering, I never heard of a samsung LCD yet with 2 HDMI inputs.
    py2006 wrote:
    So whats the difference between 1080i * 720p and 1366 * 768 and which is the best to go for?

1366x 768 is the native resolution of the LCD. Quite capable of showing a 720p (progressive) picture.

1080i (interlaced) again is another resolution of which this LCD cannot display natively but can downgrade to its native resolution.

Interlaced is where every second line is scanned, but in LCDs it needs a deinterlacer. This is why LCDs don't flicker.
    Progressive is where the image is displayed line after line. All LCDs and plasmas are progressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

Sparky-s wrote:
    That's what I was wondering, I never heard of a samsung LCD yet with 2 HDMI inputs.

The Samsung M7 Series now has 2 HDMI ports!!

1366x 768 is the native resolution of the LCD. Quite capable of showing a 720p (progressive) picture.
    QUOTE]

Is 1080i better than 720P? From what I read no it's not, but I have nothing to back me up on this. As Sparky said it displays every second line at incredible rates, so my understanding is if you pause the TV you will in fact only see 540 lines. But with 720P you will always get 720, its the newer more expensive technology. I have also read that if you are watching slow moving pictures, perhaps Golf, 1080i might be better than 720P, but as soon as things quicken up Progressive is the better option. I gues it also depends on what you are watching, e.g. Sky broadcast in 1080i I think, so you would think that getting a 1080i screen you would see an improvement, but again, the feedback seems to be that nobody can see a difference.

As for the ALDI TV, I see it says its a Samsung screen, and that's obvious cause it looks exactly like the older Samsung screens. I also see it mentions LG, so it could be that they are running the electronics, but I dont know this, and that's the main ingrediant IMO to good LCD's. A bit like comparing video cards in PC's to a degree. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I wonder if it would be a good idea if someone would post what to look out for when buying a tv such as minimum specs what each spec means etc. and maybe a mod could sticky it. Id do it myself but I dont think I know enough about it. Any takers ???

I'd do it, but I'm off out tonight. :)

YoYo, I would think 1080p would be better over all.

Interlaced was only really intended to save bandwidth, I would say a 1080p data feed would be some size compared to a 1080i feed.

Pausing a 1080i picture would result in you seeing the old picture every odd line.

But seeing as most 1080i material is de-interlaced onto a screen, you wouldn't see it.

Actually wikipedia has some good info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Interlace.jpg

Advertisement