Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy

Options
  • 25-08-2006 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi,

My sister was offered and accepted a place on this course in the first round of the CAO. Thing is, she never thought she'd get close to the required points and had her heart set on occupational therapy in Trinity instead and as a consequence doesn't know that much about the course.
    How many hours a week can she expect? How much practical experience does she get in hospitals, etc? Are there many jobs out there?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

DaJaffa's on holidays at the moment, she should be back soon though. She'll have all the relevant information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

well if you need any info on OT im a final year there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

As Blush said I was away but I'm back now...

Well I'm just finished first Physio and I think it's a great course (thou it was my first choice, heart set on it for years etc etc

In first year physio is about 20 hours a week, a little under. In the first semester it's mostly doing the basic science really, anatomy (which involves looking at dead bodies btw), physiology, cem, physics, healthcare informatics ( which is essestially learning word, powerpoint, execl...). it's just under 20 a week. Depending on when your practicals are you might have 12 one week 18 the next or it might be even... lectures are very skippable imo in this semester (not suggesting it, just like no big deal if u miss them cause they're booky subjects).

A lot of ppl have trouble with the physics but a bit of work + u can survive, the other subjects are just a case of learning stuff off really.

Before Christmas we're in with the meds and radios a lot so there isn't a big class bond, you do so much with the radios that you really don't know whos physio + whos radio tbh

NOW semester 2 is a different kettle of fish. Was about 15 hours a week, mostly just physios, lots of practicals. Massage class 3/4 hours a week, practical anatomy (ie practising on each other, moving limbs). You do a first aid course and a manual hanldling course cause in the 2nd semester mid-term there's a one-week placement. Anyway the massage classes are a real ice-breaker + u get to know your class really well.

*last year was the first year the course of the modular system so things will be slightly different this year*

There's 1000 hours of placement in the course, mostly in 3rd + 4th year so there's lots of that

Jobs wise it's good but not brill at the mo. They recently started courses in UL + RCSI so there's more graduates but not more jobs (personally I reckon this'll change b4 your sis grads anyway) so it can be kinda tough to get a job, but there's always some going. Loads of ppl go away to Oz/NZ 4 a year. There's demand internationally for physios. Generally if you go away for a bit, get some experience and come back you should be able to get a job.

K am sleepy from holiday. I'll post again in a less zombie-esque state with better details. If you've any Qs post + I'll anwer them anyways (U can pm me but I'm crap at checking them)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

That's really helpful, thanks for all the info!
    dajaffa wrote:
    As Blush said I was away but I'm back now...

Well I'm just finished first Physio and I think it's a great course (thou it was my first choice, heart set on it for years etc etc

In first year physio is about 20 hours a week, a little under. In the first semester it's mostly doing the basic science really, anatomy (which involves looking at dead bodies btw), physiology, cem, physics, healthcare informatics ( which is essestially learning word, powerpoint, execl...). it's just under 20 a week. Depending on when your practicals are you might have 12 one week 18 the next or it might be even... lectures are very skippable imo in this semester (not suggesting it, just like no big deal if u miss them cause they're booky subjects).

A lot of ppl have trouble with the physics but a bit of work + u can survive, the other subjects are just a case of learning stuff off really.

Before Christmas we're in with the meds and radios a lot so there isn't a big class bond, you do so much with the radios that you really don't know whos physio + whos radio tbh

NOW semester 2 is a different kettle of fish. Was about 15 hours a week, mostly just physios, lots of practicals. Massage class 3/4 hours a week, practical anatomy (ie practising on each other, moving limbs). You do a first aid course and a manual hanldling course cause in the 2nd semester mid-term there's a one-week placement. Anyway the massage classes are a real ice-breaker + u get to know your class really well.

*last year was the first year the course of the modular system so things will be slightly different this year*

There's 1000 hours of placement in the course, mostly in 3rd + 4th year so there's lots of that

Jobs wise it's good but not brill at the mo. They recently started courses in UL + RCSI so there's more graduates but not more jobs (personally I reckon this'll change b4 your sis grads anyway) so it can be kinda tough to get a job, but there's always some going. Loads of ppl go away to Oz/NZ 4 a year. There's demand internationally for physios. Generally if you go away for a bit, get some experience and come back you should be able to get a job.

K am sleepy from holiday. I'll post again in a less zombie-esque state with better details. If you've any Qs post + I'll anwer them anyways (U can pm me but I'm crap at checking them)

Advertisement