Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Message In A Dream

• 25-08-2006 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

:cool: do we get messages in dreams, from god or loved ones gone before us?:cool: in the bible does it say god talked to joseph in his dreams :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My interpretation of dreaming is very ...logical. When you experience things during the day, they get stored in short term memory. For those things to be committed to long term memory, your body compares them to experiences past, and archives them that way. The comparisson produces dreams, which can be logicially explained by seeing what even during the day triggered it.

I don't believe in invisible people in the sky influencing my dreams, nor do I believe in people in the afterlife influencing dreams either. This is the 21st century :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

ned78 wrote:
    My interpretation of dreaming is very ...logical. When you experience things during the day, they get stored in short term memory. For those things to be committed to long term memory, your body compares them to experiences past, and archives them that way. The comparisson produces dreams, which can be logicially explained by seeing what even during the day triggered it.

I don't believe in invisible people in the sky influencing my dreams, nor do I believe in people in the afterlife influencing dreams either. This is the 21st century :D

Last night i dreamt i was pregnant!! I can seen no logical explanation for that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Last night i dreamt i was pregnant!! I can seen no logical explanation for that :D

Did you see a child during the day on TV or in Public?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭djeddy

:cool: i might get the answers in my dreams :cool: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:cool: i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

ned78 wrote:
    Did you see a child during the day on TV or in Public?
    hmmm...you got me there!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Me thinks this crosses over to the paranormal? Never have experienced any messages in dreams. Certainly not ones that foretold of anything that actually happened later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

ned78 wrote:

Yup, this is the conclusion I came to. Every night I have a dream, there is something I experience in it along with something from a long time ago or something else that happened that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

My dad has gotten a few messages in his dreams,

for example he was sick a few years ago and he didnt know why. Then one night he had a strange dream(i cant remmember the exact details) but basically there was a load of foreigners standing in his garden, and one of them had a sign with the latin word for iron written on it. The next day he went to the doctors and asked for an iron test, the doctor was reluctant because low iron levels are very rare in men but my dad insisted, Afew days later he got an urgent phone call from the GP, his iron leverls were actually alarmingly low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Pretty cool, never experienced anything similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Dreams mean somethin about your life you wouldnt usually recognise

but they wont give you messages like the lotto numbers or sumthin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

does anyone else have nightmares nearly every night?

:mad: often on i have nightmares,where i cant stop the car im driveing,

other times when i just about doze off, i get electric fence type shocks, whi ch sound as real as the real thing, so i dont be long in wakeing up :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

abetarrush wrote:
    Dreams mean somethin about your life you wouldnt usually recognise
    I'd agree with that, but only sometimes. Other times they can be 'just dreams'.

I'd also agree with ned when he said that dreams are the result of the memories and thoughts being processed, categorised and stored.

I think these two things can work together. For instance, perhaps :|'s dad once read or heard somewhere about iron deficiency but the information wasn't important at the time, so it got stored somewhere at the back of the mind and 'forgotten about'. It's not until going to bed one night, maybe years later, wondering what his symptoms pertain to that these memories get unearthed by the subconscious, and displayed (or at least remembered the next morning) in a typically surreal dream like way. It would be easy to overlook these messages.

To me that would be the easiest and most 'logical' way of explaining such things.

Personally I think there's also something to be said for a more spiritual or paranormal side to it - messages from the distant past or (geographically) distant present. Much in the same way as this would be possible using meditation or certain types of hallucinogens. Easier for some, lots of hard work for others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

smk135 wrote:
    does anyone else have nightmares nearly every night?
    Yes, not about something I like either...
    Why, what do you have nightmares about?
    Is it something that happened in your life like mine? or?

Advertisement