Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs, duties, tax -- what charges are added onto an imported gun?

• 25-08-2006 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm browsing and trying to find a gun or 2 to buy to help me to get into airsoft, and I'm a little scared/reluctant to buy anything because I'm afraid that the price that the website shows me is not gonna be the price I end up paying!

eg. I was looking to buy this "Commando Pack": http://www.gizmos-uk.com/G36C%20Commando%20Package.html @ £83

But that site delivers to Ireland for free if I make an order greater than £100, so I thought I'd get this as a sidearm: http://www.gizmos-uk.com/ASG%20Beretta%20M92.html @ £30

So now it says I qualify for free shipping!

However, I don't know much about customs or tax or anything like that, so I was wondering if someone would be able to give me a run-down of the extra charges that I might have to pay for this order (from Britain), and maybe someone could explain them too, for everyone's benefit (ie. do you pay by the weight of the product? does it vary with country of origin? etc)

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

you dont have to pay duty on things inside the EU only the stuff from outside
    What i like about gizmos is that there is no hassel with customs and the vat is all included cause they are in the eu. Your screwed if you purchase stuff to total under €100 cause the shipping is not free alright.

quoted from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054979914

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Yep only outside EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

COOL! :D Thanks fellas

Perhaps it'd help everyone though, if some knowledgeable person knew about how import tax, duties, customs, etc., works for imports from other parts of the world (as America and Asia export alot of guns), and was able to summarise it for us.

But that may be wishful thinking :p

Thanks anyway

This product is liable to Customs Duty at 2.7% VAT at 21% plus a post office handling fee of €5 as follows
    ^^

B00M you get a letter? If so how do you go about paying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

Some stuff gets through customs unoticed though. I ordered from Asia and didnt have to pay any customs or excise.

ill have to make sure i go to church tomorrow night then and pray mine goes through lol

Yes I got a letter unfortunatley. You can pay by Cheque/Postal Order/Bank Draft. If you dont pay within 10 days of the notice they are sent back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

B00MSTICK wrote:
    Yes I got a letter unfortunatley. You can pay by Cheque/Postal Order/Bank Draft. If you dont pay within 10 days of the notice they are sent back.

So once you pay they post it on to you? Can they not just hold it at your local post office and have you pick it up, it would be alot easier and faster.

It would also be easier if you could pay online aswell but you cant. If you live near Oak Road, Knockmitten, Dublin 12 im sure you could pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054979914

You ordered from Gizmo's?! Are you insane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

In fairness, this Gizmos problem was with 1 person only, and he did actually get a full refund so its not as if they are con men. Im sure the majority of people who have bought from them (doesn't include me) are happy and had no problems.

In fairness I ordered before you posted anything. Im sure if I wanted a CA 36C I would have no problem because they're in stock. I dont see how the poster in the ASI thread could go for 3 months without the pistol. I've given them until the 8th of September.

Upto now the communication has been excellent. They rang to say the gun was out of stock and said which guns were available for immeadiate shipping. They responded to all emails same day. If it turns out that I get then gun in the next 14 days then I can be happy. I'll advise people to make sure the gun/item is deffo in stock before ordering or be prepared to wait.

Not buying from somewhere just because 1 person had a bad expiereince is stupid. So say they do screw me over whats the worst that can happen? I get my money back.

After 3 months. I bet you'll get an email saying the gun you ordered is actually out of stock, or there is a shipping delay or or or...he isnt the only person Iv heard have problems with them.

Got a phone call from dhl this morning telling me my package from redwolfairsoft.com(HK) will be delivered tommorow (ordered last thursday) BUT need to pay €38 duty when it arrives payed €136 for a Tokyo Marui G18C AEP so just over a quater of the price ontop for duty €174 intotal, would have been cheaper to buy from uk firesupport are about €171 delivered. But still lesson learned :P

Good shipping in fairness, waited a month for my ehobby order.

Got a phone call from dhl this morning telling me my package from redwolfairsoft.com(HK) will be delivered tommorow (ordered last thursday) BUT need to pay €38 duty when it arrives payed €136 for a Tokyo Marui G18C AEP so just over a quater of the price ontop for duty €174 intotal, would have been cheaper to buy from uk firesupport are about €171 delivered. But still lesson learned :P
    You got an electric pistol? Tell me what its like, never had the oppertunity to use one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bambamconscious

stealth tax wr574j don't worry me mate gazz can do ya a job!

Nooooo i "some how" missed the phone call for delivery, even tho there was some1 in all day so had to ring them and re-arrange delivery for tommorow :(..
    test it out this weekend and post up pics and my opinion.

P.S off topic i actualy made 100 post :p after 3yrs :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Nooooo i "some how" missed the phone call for delivery, even tho there was some1 in all day so had to ring them and re-arrange delivery for tommorow :(..
    test it out this weekend and post up pics and my opinion.

P.S off topic i actualy made 100 post :p after 3yrs :/

What gun did you get? Yay your from Ros, what part? Same as me!

• Advertisement

im getting the Tokyo Marui G18C AEP (Fixed Slide) im about 7km away from castlerea o.o

Edit: after looking at the DUTY/VAT invoice again and just noticed

CUSTUMS IMOPORT DUTY :: 4.7%
    CUSTUMS IMOPORT VAT :: 21%
    "% SURCHARGE

Advertisement