Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anathema

• 25-08-2006 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

top alternative rock band from liverpool, best album judgement, give 'em a go, cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i love eternity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

best album is a fine day to exit, and tbh theyre more metal than indie, i mean they started off as a doom metal outfit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Agreed. Moved to Rock/Metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

They supported HIM in the Ambassador in April. I didn't like them, just something about them, I understand why people do like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I really liked Pentecost III and most of their other doom output, but after Alternative 4 I just lost interest completely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I love all their stuff except for A Fine Day To Exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I love pretty much everything by them..

I've seen them a good few times live & they are amazing. Just wish they'd get their arses in gear & come back over. They were supposed to be playing Mysterious Wounds but then something came up & they had to back out! Saw Danny Cavanagh play an acoustic set in the Sugar Club a few years ago - really great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭haunted-room

They were great till duncan patterson left. Seranades and Eternity are awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Anyone know when their new album is due out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I liked them when they were a doom band. Not so much now though since they changed their sound. Not at all impressive when I saw them support HIM.

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote:
    I liked them when they were a doom band. Not so much now though since they changed their sound. Not at all impressive when I saw them support HIM.

Heard a new track fairly recently and it was terrible, what happened!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

There were too many line-up changes within the band. The sound grew less doom, more alt-rock and then they were dropped by their record company.

Nightwish wrote:
    There were too many line-up changes within the band. The sound grew less doom, more alt-rock and then they were dropped by their record company.

I know, the "what happened" wasnt really a question:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

I heard a few good things about this band over the years and then a few months ago I thought "I'll get some of their stuff...they're supposed to be good."
    I bought "A Fine Day to Exit"... I'm assuming that I just bought the wrong album to get started on. It's fine if you like to watch jelly setting.

I heard a few good things about this band over the years and then a few months ago I thought "I'll get some of their stuff...they're supposed to be good."
    I bought "A Fine Day to Exit"... I'm assuming that I just bought the wrong album to get started on. It's fine if you like to watch jelly setting.

yeah you bought the wrong one alright!

a fine day to exit is a great album, yeah its more alt-rock and chilled out but come on, not everything has to be POUNDING DOUBLE BASS DRUMS AND BLEEEEEEEEAAAAAARGH VOCALS CHUGGA CHUGGA!!!!!!!!!!!

a fine day to exit is a great album, yeah its more alt-rock and chilled out but come on, not everything has to be POUNDING DOUBLE BASS DRUMS AND BLEEEEEEEEAAAAAARGH VOCALS CHUGGA CHUGGA!!!!!!!!!!!

And thats exactly what doom metal is not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Didnt they play in Charlies years ago

:rolleyes:

Yeah... ok...

Personally, I love their later albums aswell. Eternity is just a masterpiece in my books, but A Fine Day is still a piss poor album.

Yeah... ok...

Personally, I love their later albums aswell. Eternity is just a masterpiece in my books, but A Fine Day is still a piss poor album.
    yeah :rolleyes: great :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    rolleyes etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Sgt. Politeness. Yes. Point taken. Not everything has to sound like a band throwing their instruments down the stairs, but I was expecting something a little but harder than what I found on "A Fine Day to Exit". Still though, I'm gonna go and check out some of their earlier stuff based on what yourself and NelliesWellies (class name btw) said...

I bought Antimatter's - Planetary Confinement and Danny Cavanagh's - A place to be, the other day on the net, hopefully will be here soon. Has anyone heard either?
    I have Antimatter - Light's Out already. Really melodic chilled music, great to relax to.

Oral Slang wrote:
    I bought Antimatter's - Planetary Confinement and Danny Cavanagh's - A place to be, the other day on the net, hopefully will be here soon. Has anyone heard either?
    I have Antimatter - Light's Out already. Really melodic chilled music, great to relax to.

Havnt heard those yet. Lights out is fantastic though. Great night-time listening

Havnt heard those yet. Lights out is fantastic though. Great night-time listening

Yeah I know I love it, so am hoping Planetary Confinement will be more of the same.. Danny Kavanagh's album is a tribute to Nick Drake. I don't have any of Nick Drake, but heard other people rave about him, so am expecting good things!

yeah :rolleyes: great :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    rolleyes etc

You can't rolleyes a rolleyes, it's a double negative.

Advertisement