Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me use google earth

• 25-08-2006 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

When i open google earth i get the screen shot i attached. But i cant seem to search for a place, im just trying to start off within Ireland even. I cant find places, how di i find drogheda town for example. All i seem to get is dublin because dublin is shown on the ireland map, but even when i click that it just brings up travel info rather than actually zooming in or anything. Appreciate any tips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try the location into Local Search and hit Enter. Like I put in my hometown, Oldcastle,Ireland and it will bring you to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

hmmmm, its still wont go to a place i type in, saying no search found or something to that effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Double click in the general direction of Drogheda - it should zoom in. You can stop the zoom by clicking and double click again more accurately if needed.

Ok, i figured out i have to zoom right in before i can find a place it seems. They have drogheda down as being in Meath instead of Louth, are there many mistakes like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm not sure how often the maps are updated, I just typed in Drogheda, Ireland and it went there right away and in the Where box, it had Current View in there.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, i seem to be getting somewhere now. :) Its class.
    I was just typing in drogheda, it works when i do as you did and type drogheda, ireland.

Anyway of improving the clarity? i thought ypu could see the main streets of villages, etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can see much better detail in the areas of Ireland that have been photographed. To do good aerial photography, you need a cloudless day. Obviously this is a problem in Ireland, so much of the country is covered by satellite imagery, like your picture of Collon.
    The detail on the areas covered by aerial photos is much better.

How do i know what areas are covered by ariel maps?
    When i type in sydney, australia the detail is class, you can see the trains and everything. Do ye know of any landmarks that can be seen in good details, pyrmaids, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Nuttzy wrote:
    How do i know what areas are covered by ariel maps?
    When i type in sydney, australia the detail is class, you can see the trains and everything. Do ye know of any landmarks that can be seen in good details, pyrmaids, etc?
    Only certain areas are covered in high resolution at the moment. These areas can be seen as squares or shapes that are a different shade than the other areas (there's a good few in the North West of France, Spain, all over the US, but they're everywhere!).

There's lots of landmarks covered in high res, the best thing to do is just to zoom in to one's you know and see if they're done or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement