Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest cup of coffee in Waterford

• 25-08-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭

Which cafe serves the stingiest cup of coffee? I think it has to be any of them that serve capuccinno in those little Bewley's cups, the ones with the coffee berry/flower pictures on them. I just had a capuccino (E2.20) in The Upper Deck in Ard Keen and not only was it in one of those little cups, the coffee was more than a centimeter from the top of the cup. When I complained the girl at the checkout said, with no interest at all, something to the effect of: 'the machine measures it'. They only do the one size. A decent capuccino should be hot, with a robust flavour, in a wide cup and with lots of froth. Does anyone know where ALL these requirements can be guaranteed? :) The food in Upper Deck is very good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

looksee wrote:
    Which cafe serves the stingiest cup of coffee? I think it has to be any of them that serve capuccinno in those little Bewley's cups, the ones with the coffee berry/flower pictures on them. I just had a capuccino (E2.20) in The Upper Deck in Ard Keen and not only was it in one of those little cups, the coffee was more than a centimeter from the top of the cup. When I complained the girl at the checkout said, with no interest at all, something to the effect of: 'the machine measures it'. They only do the one size. A decent capuccino should be hot, with a robust flavour, in a wide cup and with lots of froth. Does anyone know where ALL these requirements can be guaranteed? :) The food in Upper Deck is very good.

This stuff should be on a website. When I get back to Waterford it will be. ;)

I don't understand why places have to be stingey. It doesn't make them any more money. People usually only buy one coffee/capuccino/latte, etc. in a sitting. Why not give them a nice big cup so they'll leave happy?

The only places in the centre of Waterford I would rate are Geoffs, Haricots and whatever Bia is called this week. Don't know the Dunmore Rd. for coffee/booze/anything. ;)

One of the big problems in Waterford is that businesses don't last long enough to be be seen as good or reliable. Either they are opened by someone with bugger all money, and they have to close within 3 months, or they are opening by a pub or nightclub owner, in which case they are expensively done up **** holes, and disappear as soon as said owner has a new whim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Techically a proper italian capuccino is probably somewhat smaller than what you generally get here in Ireland. Amercan ones are truly absurdly large. As long as the full amount of coffee is going in there I would not be complaining.

EDIT: Just noticed your quote of 'the machine measures it.' Fair enough, it's not a capuccino. In my experience the availability of proper capuccino in this country outside Dublin and Cork is not too good. (Dons abestos cloak.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Firstly, sorry I seem to have two threads going on the same subject, could someone sort it please?:D:D (Do two grin smilies add up to ingratiating grin? I was signed in but got a 'you're not signed in' message when I tried to submit, and somehow the message went in twice).

I would be the first to admit that I don't know what an authentic Italian capucchino would be, but I have had a few nice hiberno-italian versions and 'I know what I like' ;)

blorg wrote:
    Techically a proper italian capuccino is probably somewhat smaller than what you generally get here in Ireland. Amercan ones are truly absurdly large. As long as the full amount of coffee is going in there I would not be complaining.

EDIT: Just noticed your quote of 'the machine measures it.' Fair enough, it's not a capuccino. In my experience the availability of proper capuccino in this country outside Dublin and Cork is not too good. (Dons abestos cloak.)

I wouldn't say coffees (or whatever you call them as a group. :) ) are any worse in Waterford. There's an awful lot of Ireland outside of Dublin and Cork that isin't the back arse of nowhere you know. :) I doubt the capuccinos are all that bad in Limerick either. :)

Having said that, the irish capuccino seems to be a thing unto itself, which has evolved over the past 10 years. I have had so many different things that have claimed to be a capuccino that I'm not even sure what it is and how close it is to an Italian one. Lattes seem to be more consistant everywhere.

In any case, things often undergo some sort of change when they travel.

If people are used to one size of a capuccino though, then it is understandable that they get pissed off when they get something half the size. The main thing is that customers are satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There ain't many places to go for a 'proper' coffee in Waterford...I wouldn't put 'machine' based coffee down on the list. Proper bean coffee all the way. The Book Centre would have nice coffee if they used a bloody thermometer (sp?) so they didn't overheat the milk...

Haven't tasted Haricots, I eat in there for lunch, but don't drink coffee with my lunch :o Must give it a try...

Stingiest = Hotels generally...

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote:
    There ain't many places to go for a 'proper' coffee in Waterford...I wouldn't put 'machine' based coffee down on the list. Proper bean coffee all the way. The Book Centre would have nice coffee if they used a bloody thermometer (sp?) so they didn't overheat the milk...

Haven't tasted Haricots, I eat in there for lunch, but don't drink coffee with my lunch :o Must give it a try...

Stingiest = Hotels generally...

But surely you need a machine to ground down the beans, no? Or do you mean that they buy it pre-ground?

To be honest, I haven't looked to hard at the way these places make their coffee, but it's nice enough. I don't think anyone is using instant anymore anyway. :) (Jars of Maxwell House behind the counter. :D )

Most of the newer places in town should have the right equipment, etc. For example, The Kazbar, The Stand, or The Bank. Personally, I think the coffee in Geoffs is nice, although I haven't ordered any capuccinos off them, just coffee coffee. :)

What about the Eats Me's (George's Court & City Square)? Or Brunch (or whatever it's called now) in George's Court? The Bistro on Patrick St. (if it's still there) looks like it would serve good coffee. Brannocks in city square? Kylemore? (Not that I'm much of a fan of the last two in general.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I don't drink coffee but the coffe shop out at superquinns do fairly decent sized cappocinos mam always goes there

Buying pre-ground is all good (As long as it's not cheapo ****e....yes I'm a coffee snob), I'm ranting about 'instant' coffee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

I'm with blorg on this after working on a proper Cimbali machine for the best part of a year, I don't understand how some people can glug down these giant mugs of piping hot milk, all the milk tends to make it rather weak to as they use the same two shots of coffee. A decent cappuccino should be shorter wider cup than most places use so you get a decent cap of steamed milk (the tall takeaway paper cups are the worst :mad: ), it doesn't help that they usually boil the milk without a thermometer. I suppose they could always offer the option I guess, they use the same amount of coffee in both (in most places roughly two 6/7g shots) so it'd just be the cost of the extra milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Does anybody know where to get ones hands on espresso roast beans in Waterford? I've tried Chapmans, who don't do an espresso roast, and even their darkest roast produced bitter undrinkable drek after going through an espresso machine. I thought their beans were a bit stale as well.

At the moment I'm having to stock up when I go to Dublin or Cork, which isn't ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

merlante wrote:
    I wouldn't say coffees (or whatever you call them as a group. :) ) are any worse in Waterford. There's an awful lot of Ireland outside of Dublin and Cork that isin't the back arse of nowhere you know. :) I doubt the capuccinos are all that bad in Limerick either. :)
    No, I'm sorry about that, and I'm sure Waterford and Limerick are capable of producing a decent cappucino. Although it is perfectly possible to get bad cappucino in Dublin as well you know, only a few places seem capable of getting it right.

I had a very bad cappucino experience in Athlone a few years ago which left me scarred and bitter. Or rather not bitter enough, I don't think they used instant in fairness but made it with percolated coffee, so a big cup of watery coffee to which they added a dollop of milk. Horrendous.
    merlante wrote:
    Having said that, the irish capuccino seems to be a thing unto itself ... In any case, things often undergo some sort of change when they travel. ... If people are used to one size of a capuccino though, then it is understandable that they get pissed off when they get something half the size. The main thing is that customers are satisfied.
    Sure, and that is why there are so many places serving up shíte to people who don't know any better. Doesn't mean there isn't room in the market for people who want to do it properly. It's like Goodfellas pizza vs the stuff they serve in Naples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MPK

Highly recommend a place called Lattetude in Michael Street, Waterford.
    We spent a couple of long weekends with friends in Waterford this summer, who brought us their for lunch. Run by an american guy, both the real coffee , panini's and service were excellent. A rare find outside of the metropolis.;)

MPK wrote:
    We spent a couple of long weekends with friends in Waterford this summer, who brought us their for lunch. Run by an american guy, both the real coffee , panini's and service were excellent. A rare find outside of the metropolis.;)

I never liked the look of that place for some reason, just never looked very comfortable on the inside. Still, that says nothing about their coffee. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Off topic but anyone else annoyed by people who say they need a cup of coffee in the morning to get them through the day but it's just instant muck with 3 or 4 spoons of sugar in it? It's not the coffee you need it's the sugar.

MPK wrote:

Canadian afaik :p

It's nice enough in there, but I can never get comfortable in there, ever.

Been going to the place in Granary for the last few days, there's a pretty nice coffee in there. Staff are nice too, and if it's a nice day, the courtyard is pretty nice. Food ain't toop bad either.

Fajitas! wrote:
    Canadian afaik :p

It's nice enough in there, but I can never get comfortable in there, ever.

Been going to the place in Granary for the last few days, there's a pretty nice coffee in there. Staff are nice too, and if it's a nice day, the courtyard is pretty nice. Food ain't toop bad either.

Lattetude doesn't look at all comfortable, just like its predecessor.

Never tried the place in the Granary. I had a feeling it might be like most museum cafes having bad, overpriced food and being uncomfortable. Glad to know that isin't the case.

JPA wrote:
    Off topic but anyone else annoyed by people who say they need a cup of coffee in the morning to get them through the day but it's just instant muck with 3 or 4 spoons of sugar in it? It's not the coffee you need it's the sugar.

People who say they need anything to get through the day have some sort of mental disability if you ask me. :) Unless it's a diabetic and the something is insulin, etc. Then I'd lave 'em off. ;)

merlante wrote:
    Lattetude doesn't look at all comfortable, just like its predecessor.

Never tried the place in the Granary. I had a feeling it might be like most museum cafes having bad, overpriced food and being uncomfortable. Glad to know that isin't the case.

Chairs in Lattetude are either too high, too awkard or in a breeze. Wonder if they do take away coffee, like proper 10Oz cups?

Granary is the opposite of what I was expecting. Nice seats, airy, decent prices (Think a mocha is 2.30? or there abouts) Soup is lovely as are the lunches and salad, but portions are a tad small.

The also have "the best hot chocolate in Waterford" advertised... haven't indulged though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

Oscars on the Dunmore road does a great cup of coffee. Scones are nice too!

Advertisement