Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP > XP Pro upgrade

• 25-08-2006 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Got my hands on an updrade XP pro disc. I need XP pro to connect to my uni' network in October.
    However, my Dell Insipiron 1300 didn't come with an XP home CD. When I try installing the upgrade (by inserting the CD after booting, and clicking on the install upgrade bit in the autorun) it's telling me that the version I have is newer than the upgrade.
    All I need is the security facilities that will satisfy the university, can I just install these additional features?
    Any solution, other than installing XP pro over XP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

That copy's legitimacy is questionable, no? If so, you won't be able to update it without hassle = hassle for sys/net-admins of your Uni. = trouble for you.
    Alternative solution? Ask the tech. department of the uni. as only they know what they'll be satisfied with. Perhaps a Free, Linux distro. install would be acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't think theres a way of doing so, formatting and starting with a clean install of XP Pro is the only way afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's SP2 that makes the disc think it's a "newer" version of the OS. Boot from the CD and install (May cause data loss). Or, try removing SP2, reboot, install upgrade. However, the above still applies if it is an illegal copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

The copy is, in fact, legit. Large orange package with fancy holograms on CD, serial, booklets...
    It seems I can't remove SP2 - the PC came with OS installed and SP2 was on it already. I'll contact the IS department, but I certainly do not want to have to format - that would be absolutely ridiculous.
    I'd love to go with linux, but all my web design apps are for windows and I don't fancy learning a new OS quite yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Legit ? - don't forget the rules for OEM preclude it being installed on anyother hardware than that it was shipped with. Also you can't install the same non-oem copy on two different machines at the same time.

Re the SP2 problem
    How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP installation folderThis article describes how to integrate Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) files into the Windows XP installation folder. You can use the /integrate switch or the Update.exe utility to perform this task. These tools help you run an in-place upgrade to Windows XP SP2 if the original Windows Setup CD is an earlier version of Windows XP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900871/

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for that, solved the problem! I also had to remove styleXP, fix boot.ini and uninstall daemon tools.

Regarding the legitimacy - the XP Pro upgrade doesn't say anywhere "not to be sold separately" - it's retail, installed for the first time on my machine.
    The story was a fellow I did some work for bought a PC advertised with XP pro. It arrived with XP home, made no difference to him but he kicked up and got the upgrade. Had no need for it, I bought it off him.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cianclarke wrote:
    Had no need for it, I bought it off him.
    fair enough :)

IIRC the upgrade license is bound by the terms of the XP home edition it upgraded , so if that was Home OEM then the XP Pro is also OEM - I really hate that sort of licensing stuff :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

True it's a bit crap, but to be honest I'm not too pushed.. I've made the effort to go 100% legit, if they're going to nitpick...
    Thanks again

Advertisement