Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus allows Core duo chips to be multiplier unlocked..

Options
  • 25-08-2006 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Asus P5b board with new bios allows some Core 2 chips to be unlocked down. Read about it at http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2822

Hopefully Abit will do something like this with their AB9 Pro board.. and remedy some of the RAM problems they are having

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

looks good and i may delve into that it was the board i was thinkin about anyway and the 6700

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Psycopat wrote:
    looks good and i may delve into that it was the board i was thinkin about anyway and the 6700

PM me when your selling the Opteron, I might be interested depending on price:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

First, we should note that certain Gigabyte P965 boards also allow downward unlocks with the latest BIOS releases. ASUS joins them in offering this feature, and they have broken new ground with the 0507 BIOS for the P5B Deluxe. The ability to specify multipliers - even if it's only downward unlocked - is so significant that every other manufacturer will have to follow suit or lose market share to the two motherboard giants.
    That to me suggests it's nothing really manufacturer specific but just a matter of implementing something in the bios. Fingers crossed that all Core2Duo boards get this option so choosing one over the other doesn't just come down to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This has been floating around now for a while, attempts to vreate bios's with unlocked multis. It was thought for a long time that the multiplyer was locked on the chip itself, or certain lanes cut off be a lazer on the chips. Then 1 or 3 venice's were found to have unlocked multi's(botched job). Seems some clever bastard has figured out that Intel has no hardware lock on the multi.

Question is, if they get the multi to unlock upwards what is to stop dodgy ebay dealers and the likes, to simply sell pcs with upward clocked chips as better parts then they are to the unsuspecting public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

does it work? i just got one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Apparently from what i've read it can be unlocked on all 965 mobo's & its up to the mobo manufacturer to give the option in the bios. Asus and Intel 975's also give it. It can only be changed downwards.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115715&highlight=unlocked+multi
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110224&highlight=unlocked+multi

Advertisement