Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Lines

Options
  • 25-08-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭

Some months ago some eircom engineers carried out work on the phone lines
    on the road leading to my house and my brothers house. This involved
    putting the lines underground. Immediately following this the internet
    connection speeds on our lines dropped from 46 – 48 kbps to 28 – 30 kbps.
    At the time the line to my brothers house was checked by an Eircom
    technician but no fault was found. We both checked with our Internet
    Service Providers and no problem was found with our settings, and trying
    different ISPs was of no benefit.

In the last few days I spoke with a former Eircom technician who said it
    sounds to him as if we are now sharing one phone line, or effectively we
    have half a line each leading to connecting at half the usual speed. We
    would both be interested in getting broadband (if it ever becomes available
    here) but he said that it would be impossible for us to get broadband when
    we share a line. We are both very disappointed with the situation and very
    unhappy with Eircoms service in this matter. I have written to Eircom, but
    given my past experiences with them do not expect an answer. Can anyone
    tell me if this is a regular occurence with eircom? What is the legal
    position, ie are they obliged to supply one line per house or can they
    share lines in this way?

Many thanks.
    Mossie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Your not sharing lines inf you both have different numbers as when your line goes to the junction box on the road it is then connected to a multicore cable which will run to the nearest exchange. You cant have a line shared otherwise yous would have the same number or yous would be able to listen into eachothers calls.
    I have been talking to a few people as i work in the tech. industry and have heard increasing rumours of telecoms compnaies trying to "decrease" the quality of dialup and ISDN to try and make customers move onto broadband, how true this is i dont know but its going round!

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

It sounds like your line has been pairgained. This allows for one copper pair to the exchange to provide separate service to a number of houses. Pairgained lines rarely do better than around 28K and are used in ireland as a cheaper alterntave to running new copper lines in areas where there is a shortage of lines to go around
    Pairgained lines cannot carry ADSL (or ISDN) so if you try to order ADSL on this line it will fail.

if one was to order ISDN then they would have to remove the pairgain. If one was really sneaky one might try ordering IDSN and once your dialup speeds increase try to cancel same. Dunno if you would get away with it though

.brendan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

as neither of you "Requested" a new line and as eircom put you on a pairgain because of a request by a third party for a line you are entitled to have them removed or else to remove one line and share BB between ye on the other (no longer needs a pairgain) line.

email the CEOs office phil.nolan@eircom.ie and demand the pairgain be removed from each of your lines as you never requested a pairgain or made a request of eircom requiring you be pairgained (each send the same email) and formally complain about this , also ask for a refund on the extra online time caused by this deliberate slowdown.

if this is not sorted out in 10 days

contact info@comreg.ie and explain that you were pairgained with no consultation and that you want both houses back where they were 'months' ago please so you can both order broadband

also note to comreg that eircom, by dropping your line below 28.8k, have removed "Functional Internet Access" from each of your lines you are legally entitled to "Functional Internet Access" defined as minimum 28.8k as comreg will confirm

ask eircom and comreg for a partial refund on your line rental for this loss of "Functional Internet Access" , say 50% rebate since eircom did it or €12 a month and ongoing until fixed

should do it

send on all correspondance with phils office to Comreg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yup.

When I downgraded from ISDN way back (I knew my line could handle DSL) they didn't rewire the house properly so it showed me as a dud. They wouldn't send anyone to fix it either regardless of my knowlege of the problem.

Esat got me out of that Jam. Ordered DSL and when the line wouldn't work they sent an engineer. A alot of "tut tut" and head shalking later he redid the lines and said it was a sloppy job.

Go wireless if you can mate, cheaper and not usually as restrictive as Eircom's policy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Many thanks for the help and suggestions. I will get on it straight away.

Mossie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are going on the assumption that you have been pairgained nobody here can confirm that so be careful in what you write to Eircom and Comreg you may be making baseless allegations. I would ask Eircom to investigate the deterioration in your dial up speed following on repairs that they carried out - no need to make unsupportable allegations at this stage.

dub45 wrote:
    You are going on the assumption that you have been pairgained nobody here can confirm that so be careful in what you write to Eircom and Comreg you may be making baseless allegations. I would ask Eircom to investigate the deterioration in your dial up speed following on repairs that they carried out - no need to make unsupportable allegations at this stage.

One thing to ascertain fairly accurately is to measure your line voltage, if it's well below 48V (say 30V DC or less) with no attached devices or active calls it's pretty safe to assume that you are on a pairgain.
    Last time a looked Aldi had a nice cheap (& reasonably accurate) volt meter for sale.

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

I was on a pairgain. Line was always failing for DSL.
    Luckily I was friendly with the local eircom engineer as we are both involved in Amateur Radio. He swapped me onto a single line to the exchange. Two weeks later I had broadband.
    My dialup went from 28k up to 49k after the changeover.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

bminish wrote:
    It sounds like your line has been pairgained. This allows for one copper pair to the exchange to provide separate service to a number of houses. Pairgained lines rarely do better than around 28K and are used in ireland as a cheaper alterntave to running new copper lines in areas where there is a shortage of lines to go around
    Pairgained lines cannot carry ADSL (or ISDN) so if you try to order ADSL on this line it will fail.

if one was to order ISDN then they would have to remove the pairgain. If one was really sneaky one might try ordering IDSN and once your dialup speeds increase try to cancel same. Dunno if you would get away with it though

.brendan
    Bminish it sounds to me that your are referring to a carrier line, dutch technology, where eircom were able to serve up to 50 subscribers over a few pairs of copper. But, it is now Eircoms policy not to "set up" and more carrier lines. They are in the process of taking them down to allow the high dsl frequencies to travel further from the nearest enabled exchange. Also another fact, Eircom do not guarantee internet access. Ask any rep or technican this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom have always insisted to me that the line only has to handle voice, not fax or modem at all! It took 4 years nearly to get them to come and physically check line here rather than automated exchange test. The line had degraded from 33k down to 19k with frequent drops and mostly failled connect attempts (each billed at 3m call as Eircom's ISP server would answer then hangup due to bad line) Partially one legged at box 100m away from house. They pulled in a new cable. Then the line was 42k.

• Advertisement

They are in the process of taking them down to allow the high dsl frequencies to travel further from the nearest enabled exchange. Also another fact, Eircom do not guarantee internet access. Ask any rep or technican this.

The are not taking them down around here, It's possible that they may not be installing new pairgains but they certainly have no qualms about moving existing customers onto pairgained lines when they need to free up a copper pair for an ISDN order.

.brendan

Eircom do not guarantee internet access. Ask any rep or technican this.

every household is entitled to Functional Internet Access of 28.8k minimum on an analogue line, this is called the USO obligation , U means Universal

They must guarantee that.

Just a follow up on this. I wrote to Eircom 5 times, no reply. One letter to the Examiner and I had eircom all over me. Techs calling, phone calls from press office etc. New line installed and improved dial up. Promise of broadband early next year. In the meantime I've got amocom wireless which does the job.
    Mossie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

mossie wrote:
    Just a follow up on this. I wrote to Eircom 5 times, no reply. One letter to the Examiner and I had eircom all over me. Techs calling, phone calls from press office etc. New line installed and improved dial up.

Good work. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Can you give the rest of us the address you wrote to for the examiner please?
    Im having an absolute nightmare with eircom and they refuse to address the issue.

Its not your line dcully, its the more pertinent fact that they do not have enough backhaul capacity for ALL their customers in north munster , I am sure the examiner would be most interested in that :p

lol im willing tio ytry anything at this stage :)

If I was you I would start a thread on eircom slowness in or via Limerick, wait for contributions from other victims, and then email the editor with your letter and a link to the thread :D

I would say it affects all of Clare/Limerick/Tipp/Laois but you need to gather a bit more info first to make sure . Cork was in tatters earlier this year for a while.

Yeah i made a few threads RE: Limerick a while back but got little feedback,anyways sorry to origional poster for hijacking their thread.

Sorry, wasn't here for a while. I wrote to letters@examiner.ie .

• Advertisement
Advertisement