Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Sam gone mad?

• 25-08-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭

Anelka for 8m?

does anyone else think this was a bit much? I mean he never did much at City or 'Pool. Nor did he do much at Real or in Turkey. Great for the gunners but a while ago now

Waste of money IMO. Bolton fans shouldnt be overally happy with this signing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

A fantastic player when he's bothered, world class I would say. But those days are so few and far between that he's not worth the hassle.

He's a bit of a loony really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

big sam has the nack of getting a great season or 2 out of all so rans and thats what anelka is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ray Clarke (Celtic chief scout) must have been scouting him as every single foreign player Celtic are linked with Bolton come along with their interest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Anelka is a bit of a joke now. Every few seasons he changes clubs, at first it was the Real Madrids and Liverpools of the world that were after him, now it's Man City, Bolton, Fenerbache and the like... in what's meant to be the prime of his career! I expect him to leave Bolton in a year or two for maybe Wigan or Fulham. It's not like he's been unlucky with injuries or anything. He's just greedy and lazy. Wasted talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To be honest 8 million for player who has won a few Premier leagues, the spanish league and champions league, on top of being top scorer in the english and frence leaues more than once is a bit of a steal!

Anekla is far from an Also ran, he is just a "used to care" he still has all the pace and skill he used to have, he just needs the right enviroment, and he is younger than most.

• Advertisement

That's 8 million EUROS btw, so a good deal for Bolton so long as he doesn't run away in a sulk, again.

Edit: whoops, wrong again. I blame the Daily Mail. 8m sterling according to Soccernet. Bolton were robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

His goal scoring record for Man City surprised me, 89 Apps 38 Goals now thats a good ratio in the Premier League and surely worth €8 million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I remember a certain Joe Kinnear goin out and spending 8 mil on John Hartson many years back. Wimbledon went down not too long after that (fair enough Joe did get ill for a time and it went down hill after that), but could we see a similer fate for Bolton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

irish1 wrote:
    His goal scoring record for Man City surprised me, 89 Apps 38 Goals now thats a good ratio in the Premier League and surely worth €8 million?

Yes he had fairly decent goalscoring record at Man City but at Fenerbache he scored 16 goals in 55 apps which is hardly earthshattering for a striker in a top Turkish team in a poorer standard league than the EPL. When Anelka bothers his hole playing football and not thinking about $$$$$ he's outstanding but that happens all too rarely, I'm rarely one to criticise Big Sam over his transfer policy but 8 million for Anelka is frankly a shocking waste of money for a club that has all too little of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I can never understand why people use stats from other leagues to rate players for the premier league.

I mean going by your logic Forlan should be wanted by every club in the league yet when he was playing the PL he couldn't cut it. Anelka has proven himself in the PL, what he has done in other leagues doesn't mean anything imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

376 games 122 goals. So one in three, would have been much higher if he only stayed at one club.

It may be mad esp as Bolton play one up but if he hits his stride.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If Forlan had of went to Spain 1st then PL he would be a different player, SA and EU are hard for players to adapt to.

Anelka had issues with his brothers dictating his moves, if they running this one wouldnt surprise me if its only a season.

Quick trivia how much has he cost clubs in his career?.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nearly as much as Robbie Keane!

Mike.

Something crazy, nearly £60m I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaCL wrote:
    Quick trivia how much has he cost clubs in his career?.
    £51.5m According to this:
    http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=10409

Actually they don't have a fee for his move to PSG. I've just googled and they apparantly paid £22m for him. :eek:

"They are already a reported £110m in debt although they have recouped £22m from the sale of Nicolas Anelka to Paris St Germain."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/848836.stm

So over £70m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

irish1 wrote:
    I can never understand why people use stats from other leagues to rate players for the premier league.

If he hasn't been cutting it in Turkey during the past 2 years he'll struggle to do it in EPL no matter what he has done in the past. Stats have to come into play when a manager of small club with little recourses spends 8 mil on a questionable footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As a Man City fan I'd gladly have him back over Cole, Dickov, Corradi and whoever else we have up front (except Samaras). The guy oozes class when he's at the top of his game. He all the attributes of a world class striker and was great for us. If he plays to his capabilities it's 8 million very well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Will always get goals especially in the English leagues can see him doing well for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

irish1 wrote:

To add to that, the season he left he had the best assist rate for a striker up till January (when he left).

He is a world class playuer when he bothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He is a great player in the Premiership, I think it's fair to say he hasn't done it outside the Prem.

No doubt in a year and a bit he'll be on the hunt for another move when his brother decides it's time for a cash injection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Are his brothers still acting as his agents these days? Oh, how they screwed his career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Trilla wrote:
    I mean he never did much at City or 'Pool. Nor did he do much at Real or in Turkey.

His City record is actually better than his Arsenal record:
    [B]Man City:[/B]
    2003 - 2004      32 games     17 goals
    2002 - 2003      38 games     15 goals

[B]Arsenal:[/B]
    1998 - 1999      35 games     17 goals
    1997 - 1998      26 games      6 goals
    1996 - 1997       4 games      0 goals

Seaneh wrote:
    on top of being top scorer in the english and frence leaues more than once is a bit of a steal!

He was never top scorer in England or France, not even once. He scored a total of 11 league goals for PSG in 4 seasons with them (2 before Arsenal and 2 afterwards).

Advertisement