Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky phone line

Options
  • 25-08-2006 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Just a quick question I am hoping somebody else has figured out.

I am getting sky+ because I have heard so many bad things about the NTL service. I will need to keep it connected to a phone line.

Only thing is I live in a 2 bed in the Park with the kitchen and eircom connection at the front.... tv is at the back of the house - as far as humanly possible away from it...

Has anybody had to run a wire through walls and doors to get around this or is there another way??? (dont think there is but just hoping)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mjc ire wrote:
    Just a quick question I am hoping somebody else has figured out.

I am getting sky+ because I have heard so many bad things about the NTL service. I will need to keep it connected to a phone line.

Only thing is I live in a 2 bed in the Park with the kitchen and eircom connection at the front.... tv is at the back of the house - as far as humanly possible away from it...

Has anybody had to run a wire through walls and doors to get around this or is there another way??? (dont think there is but just hoping)

Check the living room for a covered up phone point, the sparkys probably ran the wire up through to the living room but didn't bother putting a socket on it.

Is it essential that the Sky+ is hooked up to a phone line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Yes, all Sky boxes in the house now need a phone line connected all the time.

Use a wireless phoneline sender - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97658&doy=26m8&C=SEO&U=strat15

Yes, all Sky boxes in the house now need a phone line connected all the time.

Use a wireless phoneline sender - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97658&doy=26m8&C=SEO&U=strat15

I thought that was only for the interactive stuff though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CD_GD

We were told that there is a wire in the tv point that is for connecting to sky. We are in a three bed end terrace and I assume they have done this in all houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Sky check the phone line is connected on a regular basis now (to ensure you havent sold or moved a box)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if it's just a regular box you were going for (i know it isn't but) you can get sky to do a NPL install (No Phone Line) it costs extra for the install but they won't check the box to see if it's connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

With the sky+ box the phoneline must be connected at all times. If not they'll call you initially and remind you. Then a letter, then a withdrawal of service.

But that's only for the first year. After that you can do what you like.

Enjoy the Sky+, we'd be lost without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjc ire

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Eoin.... there is a hole in the wall beside where I want to put the tele covered by a small square plate... never knew what it was but maybe that is the phone line... I will ask one of the builders what it is and hopefully it is a phone line

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

Moving into the park in a few weeks 2 bed apartment. Will i be able to put up and dish and get sky? or will have to stick with crappy NTL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

mjc ire wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

Eoin.... there is a hole in the wall beside where I want to put the tele covered by a small square plate... never knew what it was but maybe that is the phone line... I will ask one of the builders what it is and hopefully it is a phone line

Cheers!!
    Im in a three bed semi and there is a white box with a small round hole in it on the side of the fireplace. Is this a phone line do you think?

• Advertisement

foxy06 wrote:
    Im in a three bed semi and there is a white box with a small round hole in it on the side of the fireplace. Is this a phone line do you think?

I'd say that's something to do with the gas fire. I'd have said it could be your cable TV connection point, but I presume that's all up and running by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjc ire

foxy06 wrote:

I have the exact same small white box with the round hole about 3 foot away from the spot with the small plate square on the wall.

I will ask the builders later on today if nobody else knows what they are for... I think the house should have come with instructions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

yeah ive the cable up and running already so id say its nothing to do with that, must be the gas fire cos I cant think of anything else that it might be.

Right about the instructions though...I only stopped my attic overflow from leaking last week...my dad spent nearly an hour up there, came down and said he hadn't a clue how to fix it........and it hasnt leaked since!! Don't know what he did.

Advertisement