Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drought?

Options
  • 25-08-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

is it just me, or is nothing interesting coming out at the moment?

the last game I remember any excitement for was the new mario brothers. and now its out. But nothing has followed?

its really bloody quiet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its the standard summer drought before the rush of games coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

And here was me thinking this was about beer. I enjoyed HL2: Ep one. but apart from that and my occasional WoW levelling I haven't really seen anything that interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

summer is always a bit dodgy. flick through the "official" magazines during summer and you find more "hilarious" jokey pages rather then reviews, because nothing is released.

on top of that, we're on the final leg before the launch of two new consoles and on the lead up to a whole new graphical toolset (dx10), so games are sparse anyway as devs wait for the new formats to get released.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Topic name made me think of draughts or is it drafts or do I just call it checkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yup summers generally crap for games and world cup summers are doubly bad but were coming out of that now, Madden this week and a rake of games next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Having not had a decent computer for a few months has made it quite boring for me, but come monday/tuesday (when i get my new parts), i get to try prey, titans quest, ep1, oblivion, graw etc... which is good enough for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckon the quiet summer was the pretext for us all to have saved enough funds to pay for the PS3 and Wii, not to mention the new wave of titles for the 360, as a result I have saved precisely nothing, won;t be getting a PS3 and will have to raid the credit union for the Wii, Dead Rising, Test Drive Unlimited, Global Defence Force, Wii Sports (please be a pack in title, please!), and Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins.
    And still have enough money to feed the wife and child,
    Its not easy you know, she still hasn't found my new PSP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I was going to post a thread like this a while ago, but, well, I didn't....*cough*.... anyway...

If it was not for my 360 and impending Wii purchase, I think the only game I would be looking forward to would be HL:EP2. Thankfully the 360 is set to launch a full scale assault on my wallet over the next few months. It's a shame it's been SO quiet for so long, even before summer only EP1 and Oblivion were probably worth talking about, although at least it leaves me with a clear mind to wait until next year to bump up the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

I've held buying any games this summer and got back into soe old classic cant beat a few days lost in civilisation 2 test of time or age of empires 2 plus leaving my 360 on hold for Halo 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Yeah but look at coming soon!

Company of Heroes looks awesome. Crysis. Battlefield 2142 could be good. Fear: extraction point. Star Trek: Legacy.

While we are in a slump now, Company of heroes will tide me by, then World of warcraft while I'm bored, the odd demo, and then all the aforementioned. It aint all bad. Months of drought always follow with a few weeks of flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dead Rising in two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dead Rising in two weeks!

Indeed, I was going to post this!

Dead Rising: Dawn of the Dead + games = gamegasm!

11 days, and yes I'm counting them, I'm that sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

koneko wrote:
    Indeed, I was going to post this!

Dead Rising: Dawn of the Dead + games = gamegasm!

11 days, and yes I'm counting them, I'm that sad.

just wait to play it. the font, and save system will force you to throw objects around the place. BUT YOU WONT BE ABLE TO STOP

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Summer is always bad. September/October are looking pretty good though:

Company of Heroes.... I play the Demo level at least twice a day. Its awesome.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

Neverwinter Nights 2

Then theres the usual flood of games in November/December. Ahhh good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Meh. Have a HDTV so font won't be a problem. And the save system, know all about it, doesn't bother me, and I think some people are making too big a deal of it. But I'll see, I have a HD and mem unit anyway.

koneko wrote:
    Meh. Have a HDTV so font won't be a problem. And the save system, know all about it, doesn't bother me, and I think some people are making too big a deal of it. But I'll see, I have a HD and mem unit anyway.

Exactly, I didn't think the font affected HD (RE: real :p) gamers. I have read as much as I can about the save problems and although I am optimistic about it, I will reserve judgement until next Friday.
    throw objects around the place.

Isn't that the whole idea? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

have to say, i bought prey on a whim on saturday, didnt get any reviews or anythin, just wanted something to play, and its really quite brilliant. Recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Bit of a drought alright, i took this opportunity to pick up some old classics I never got around to though (mostly on the PS2 - Frequency, Parappa The Rappa 2, Amplitude, Gitaroo Man, Rez) - should keep me going for quite a while.

Saints Row out this friday, but probably won't get it immediately - looks good though. Then Dead Rising the following week, looks good, again will probably wait a while.

The DS really has had a quiet summer. Would've been nice if they could've pushed forward Elite Beat Agents or Final Fantasy III. There'll be a glut of games out in Oct/Nov, especially with the Wii release etc, they need to spread the love a little better.

Mind you, I still haven't completed Castlevania or Trauma Center on the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yeah not many new games out at the moment plus my PC is in need of burning so I can't really play any top level games. As a result I have been playing Vice City alot, and it has made me anticipate GTA 4,.... if it is being made that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

have to say, i bought prey on a whim on saturday, didnt get any reviews or anythin, just wanted something to play, and its really quite brilliant. Recommend it.

Its pretty good alright, a lot better than the demo led me to believe.
    Glad I went against my instinct and bought it anyway :p

• Advertisement

tba wrote:
    it has made me anticipate GTA 4,.... if it is being made that is?
    Mid October '07 for PS3 and 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

so 2008 for the PC then..

Advertisement