Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

wow just reading this whole thread im really surprised...
    I keep forgetting ye guys are in Ireland.
    Im living in Germany at the moment for the last 4 months and i dont think i have seen one spider in my apartment yet....Location wise i would have expected a lot more...
    Kinda crazy... although i did notice a lot bigger spiders back in Ireland over the last few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Dug this thread up on a google search after encoutnering one HUGE spider in me gaff last night.
    The missus freaks if she sees one, totally. I'm not fond of them myself but will go close enough to squish em or hoover em up, but I think they're big enough to crawl back out of the hoover to be honest.
    Thing I'm wondering is, do these http://www.cbssportsstore.com/sm-lentek-pest-control-600--pi-2642441.html

sorts of plug-in devices actually work? I'd do anything to keep the varmints out and avoid a screaming missues and the inevitable having to make contact with em to kill them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I have a lot of those spiders (from the OP) coming in at this time of year about 1 every two days, I know it's not the same one as they get the one way trip out of here. One day I hopped out of the bath grabbed a towel took it off and one of them was sitting on my side looking up at me.

As for spiders in Ireland in general I remember growing up in fields and hedges as playgrounds and there were not so many houses and apartments, saw a lot of big muthas around then and some freaky huge webs. Many varietys and sizes.

Often walked face first into big webs when running through high grasses. And caught many beauties and put them into matchboxes which were left on counters to scare the ****e out of unsuspecthing smokers.

I guess the countryside is declining in some areas and these creatures are making their homes in our homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

yeah, definitely noticed an increase in size in the last few years...effects of chernobyl have finally made it here.. :) we have a couple of cats, so we don't have that many in the house....just the ones that have the sense not to come down to ground level...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ExMeath

I used to work in Dunnes and one day this massive brown hairy spider came out of a box of bananas from the fruit and veg section. The bugger was huge, he went under a shelf and when we tried to get him out the fecker jumped out at us, that was enough for me and i ran away like the little girl i was. Eventually the security guy walked it out the front door, who knows what happened to it and really i don't care.

er.... box of bananas? You mean from one of those countries where they have the really big and dangerous spiddies??? :eek: The correct thing to do was to trap it in a glass jar with a lid and call an expert from Dublin zoo. It could have been something nasty...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ExMeath

and I still remember the day I thought I saw a piece of thread hanging from the washbasin plughole so I pulled it... :eek: I swear I heard a scream as I tugged...

...and found it was the leg of a spiddie... I'm still waiting for the King of the Spiders to come after me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I picked up bananas once in a supermarket & something big & black moved in the bunch so I dropped it! my brother was soooooo annoyed - I was told I should have bunged it into a bag it could have been a cool tarantula!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Damn! I will pick my bananas with a grab arm in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

I always refer to these spiders as wolf spiders...I've known these to exist in Ireland since I can remember. I had an obsession with spiders when I was younger and the crab spider along with this house spider (wolf!!) are common. Sometimes you do get massive ones...and if your as mad as me to pick them up and study them in your hand you will notice that they have the biggest fangs ever!! They are massive!! But luckly the wolf spider is not known to bite humans all htat often, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DrFunkenstein

Aye, i know the ones, they dont build webs so me ma says, Those spideys do bite humans if ye piss em off. I had one in my hand throwin it out the door when it sunk its knashers into the end of my finger.. lucky I got some nasty callouses from playin bass, had to shake a couplea times to get him off.. lil bastard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Another wankbag attacked me tday!

damn global warmin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

ExMeath wrote:
    er.... box of bananas? You mean from one of those countries where they have the really big and dangerous spiddies??? :eek: The correct thing to do was to trap it in a glass jar with a lid and call an expert from Dublin zoo. It could have been something nasty...
    Yah a woman my mom knows once bought a bunch of bananas and when she got home, she found a NEST of spiders in it!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

She brought it into someone she knew in one of the UL labs and they looked at it, and it was a nest of banana spiders - and I think they can kill you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Squirmy Wormy

Check this out - those bastids DO bite. Or they try anyways...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7ZztvBfBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Is it just me or are the spiders over here getting bigger and bigger and BIGGER????:eek:
    Was about to go into bed one of the nights last week and got to the door of my room and noticed the hugest spider I've ever seen (spiders on the telly don't count) dashing around on my bed, I just froze in horror and stared. It was so big that when it crawled off the bed onto the floor I could hear it walking on the wooden floor. Ran into the room to get my pillow and my phone and there was another one casually hanging around on my Hot water bottle that I keep beside my bed. I ran like the wind and havent looked back since, have slept in my boyfriends house since and do not intend to go back into my room until I have seen evidence that they are dead.

Anyone else getting these giant feckers, or is my house located on Nuclear waste or something???????

:p

Have seen a few large ones here - they freak me out but not as much as they used since I stroked the back of a tarantula (I intend to hold it soon!)

Eugh, Id rather chop my own arm off than touch a tarantula :eek:
    On the plus side we have located both spiders and giving them a rather noble death, caught in a glass and flushed down the toilet. Im just hoping they havent had babies anywhere in my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kailimh

ewww, shivers down my back reading that:o
    I introduce spiders to the hoover, best way to get rid of them, there's no way I would touch them :rolleyes: My cat used to eat them, that was handy as well but she stopped doing that, probably noticed herself that this is quite nasty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Duff

I killed one of these mofos last night, it was easily th size of my hand!! It swiflty met mr. shoe though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Kailimh wrote:
    ewww, shivers down my back reading that:o
    I introduce spiders to the hoover, best way to get rid of them, there's no way I would touch them :rolleyes: My cat used to eat them, that was handy as well but she stopped doing that, probably noticed herself that this is quite nasty :D
    I remember my grandfather, God rest his soul, scared the bejasus out of my mam (his daughter-in-law) after she hoovered up a spider by saying "you shouldn't have done that, it's going to lay it's eggs in the vaccum and they'll crawl out in a few days". she was terrified for days.

Last night I sawa a fairly massive spider, nearly the same size as the one which was in my bathroom a few weeks ago (the pic is in another thread) and decided to pick it up and confront this retarded fear. I was a little frightened, but once it stared walking on my hand I was fine, it was like I just realised "oh wait, this isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be". so I think I'm back to the stage I was at when I was a wee lad: not afraid of them atall. I'll have to wait for another to poke it's head up to be completly sure though

• Advertisement

The Bollox wrote:
    Last night I sawa a fairly massive spider, nearly the same size as the one which was in my bathroom a few weeks ago (the pic is in another thread) and decided to pick it up and confront this retarded fear. I was a little frightened, but once it stared walking on my hand I was fine, it was like I just realised "oh wait, this isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be". so I think I'm back to the stage I was at when I was a wee lad: not afraid of them atall. I'll have to wait for another to poke it's head up to be completly sure though

If I picked up a spider voluntarily or otherwise I would soil myself on the spot. Don't know why, I've never had a traumatic experience with a spider, I just dont like the way they hide under stuff and come dashing out when you least expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

yeah, there seems to be massive ones on the loose a lot at the moment, i nearly died other nite came into kitchen n seen a massive one :eek: sent the cat in to deal with it :D dont mind those real thin lookin ones, but as for them black ones, aghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey guys

Was out havin a smoke and seemed to notice a couple of very big spiders around...think they are living under the decking or something.

Could they be males looking for mates or something??...alwyas thought females were bigger...anyway got a few photos

Sorry guys...didnt see this thread when starting the other with pics.

I hate the things...still remember the time it all started. was about 4 or 5...and was playing in my grannys coal shed...well,as I stood at the back of the shed,I saw the largest spider Iv ever seen skulk across the doorway...I just froze on the spot. Terror just gripped me and to this day Iv been terrified of them

sorry guys....didnt see the other big spider thread:o

Threads Merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

the spider in your 2nd and 3rd pics looks about the same size as the one I picked up

Those feckers in the pics are like the ones that were running around my house. Eugh they're repulsive, I hate them. There was a big brown one out in the back garden today when I was hanging out the washing, showed it to the cat and she took care of it, didnt want it skulking into the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

:eek: Here's the thing I found in my kitchen at dusk the other evening. He ran very fast after the flash went off but I squashed him in a corner. Horrible things!!

I think this one must be the big brother of kaiser's guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

There's a big spider that has made himself a little village on my recycling bin :( Never thought i'd be afraid to recycle
    Glad i'm not in Texas http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/30/spider.web.ap/

Advertisement