Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Indeed - those big things were running around our place last year and the year before. Haven't seen any this year yet; was wondering when they'd come out.

They are actually pretty huge, and you can hear them running across things.

The biggest one I've seen was in Cyprus. I was sitting inside, and I noticed this thing flash by the sliding doors. Next minute this absolutely MASSIVE black and red thing legged it in. Then it ran OVER (as in, it didnt fall between) a magazine rack, up the wall and onto the roof in a few seconds.

I've found the best way to kill them is with a standard inside brush. Wide angeled; and it kills them straight away. Its like throwing a nail-bed at them :D

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

In bed reading a book last night just after midnight I heard rustling. It sounded like a mouse and I wondered how the hell could it be a mouse because we have two cats. :confused: I gingerly went to investigate and found another of those huge spiders (like I posted earlier) scurrying into a paper shopping bag I'd left in a corner of the room! :eek:

I think it may have been the first one come back even bigger to haunt me and keep me awake..... :(

Does anyone know if those electronic pest control things that you plug in would be effective at keeping monster-spiders away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

One of those huge spiders lives in a web outside the bedroom window, and im the morning time he goes scurrying around his web and the cat goes mad at the window trying to get it!

I think its the weather that they have come inside, as its unusually colder than normal this summer id say they trying to find warmth in houses. Found one or two of them in the bath this summer and the cat sorted them :D

Roll on the autumn when they will be no more and die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

-Leelo- wrote:
    Is it just me or are the spiders over here getting bigger and bigger and BIGGER????:eek:
    Was about to go into bed one of the nights last week and got to the door of my room and noticed the hugest spider I've ever seen (spiders on the telly don't count) dashing around on my bed, I just froze in horror and stared. It was so big that when it crawled off the bed onto the floor I could hear it walking on the wooden floor. Ran into the room to get my pillow and my phone and there was another one casually hanging around on my Hot water bottle that I keep beside my bed. I ran like the wind and havent looked back since, have slept in my boyfriends house since and do not intend to go back into my room until I have seen evidence that they are dead.

Anyone else getting these giant feckers, or is my house located on Nuclear waste or something???????

:p

Yes its that time of year again, It seems to depend on how easily they can access your room, I never get any in my bedroom. But, I get loads in the living room at this time of year, I expect to catch at least 10 big ones between now and the end of September, this is when they come out from under the floor to mate, so they run around like lunatics, usually at around 5 or 6 in the evening. I got a monster last weekend, in my sink. I just put them outside using an empty water bottle with the top cut off. I now have a cat, who likes to eat them, so that is also handy.

My Cat just wolfs them down, they must have plenty of protein in them. My Cat is strange though, instead of bringing be a present of a mouse or bird, she brought me a t-bone steak (raw), I have no idea where she got it from, and i am afraid to ask the neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Just had another huge black spider in the kitchen, he came out of a shoe that the cat was at!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

wish there was a mouse around to eat em all!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

doesnt sound big if it fits in a shoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

its all due to climate change its gettin hotter a and insects are breeding in huge numbers which means the spiders are eating them and growing bigger and bigger. u think irishs spiders are bad you should see my pet tarantula collection my biggest is the size of a small dinner plate with 1 inch fangs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

its all due to climate change its gettin hotter a and insects are breeding in huge numbers which means the spiders are eating them and growing bigger and bigger. u think irishs spiders are bad you should see my pet tarantula collection my biggest is the size of a small dinner plate with 1 inch fangs!

I hope you muzzle him when you are out for a walk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It was having a crap in the bog I think, it was that big. Soon as it finished, put down the paper and flushed, I hit it with me shoe........... toerag threw it back at me.

It's not too bad when you leave them alone. It's when you go to sleep and they walk over yer faaaaaaace that's the problem......... Sleep well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

~Thalia~ wrote:
    I hope you muzzle him when you are out for a walk :D
    haha muzzle? i cant even open the full lid of the tank (hes an aggresive fecker! ) haha to make matters worse he has fairly potent venom (it cant kill you ) but the area where it bites ya will swell out and you will go thru severe pain and vomiting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katieliken

I hear spiders are not native to Ireland.....but they're alive and crawling in my bedroom.

Last night, one of these (same as pictured) ran across my bed duvet....then after neighbor's dog woke me at 5am....saw 2 more. We've lived here for 6 months now, this is the first I've seen them, but 3 in one night. I'm not usually afraid of spiders, but recently I've come up with mystery bites on my forearms.

Now I've seen these little buggers, I'm actually afraid of them, and can't seem to get a full night's sleep. Any pointers? I'm all in favour of live and let live, but I'm out to rid my house of these wee crawlers. Help, please? Thanks, Katie

Just came across this ....

by the way i have caught 4 so far in my house. My dog also chases them and eats them .

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1283113,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yeah its been a pretty good summer for spiders, probably cos its been such a good summer for moths.

I had a feeling this topic was gonna be bumped. I evicted a massive spider from my brothers room a few days ago. He was in the bin, I HEARD him before I saw him. Fecker was that big that he was making russling noises in my brothers bin I sh1t you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 XxSparklexX

please please can some one tell me how to prevent them 4om comin in.....besides the odvious of closin windows, r how to get rid of them like is there one of those ultra sound things like 4 mice. i nearly **** my self when one big brown hairy mutha ****a crawled up to me when i was doin my hair, mabye he wanted a new style too, christ knows he had enough hair 4 dredlocks!
    ad 2 get my dad 2 kill him an i think even he was brickin it, and hes fearless (well in my eyes!), convinced i heard a strangled squeel as the brush squished his 1.5 inch belly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Check this out - those bastids DO bite. Or they try anyways...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7ZztvBfBQ
    OMG nearly pissed myself laughing at that ;) Its already on his finger before he knows its there. Then he tries to act cool ;) What a fast fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

citreonella does work, i treid it last year

tomorrow i am going to wash out the nap sack sprayer, half fill it with water and a full bottle of citreonella and spray the entire outside of the house, then hoover any that come inside

will let ya know how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Heres one i pictured yesterday in a public bathroom, pic doesn't do him justice as he was coming up the sink, the fecker was actually looking at me and i think he even winked at me...:D.

Spider.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

actually dre that links makes sense...I have a garden spider at the back of my shed that is massive...He has a prime spot...makes a new web everyday....and is so well placed hes gonna be a fat fecker in no time.Ill try and get a pic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I have a family of giant spider living in my sitting room and they freak me out. I tried catching them with my trusty spider catcher but they are so big they just escape the fibres of the catcher land on the floor and scarper back to their web and i can't get at them. There are four of them and i hope this doesn't mean baby spiders are on the way. I'll take a pic. when i get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OMG...I just found an even bigger spider in my kitchen this evening. The dog used to eat anything that moved on the floor..but it seems that even she would eat this one...had to zap the fellah with Detol kitchen cleaner...couldnt find hairspray quick enough(I know Im a sadist).....

But Im just curious...what type of spiders are thos big huge black lads...thier not garden spiders...theyre usually black and yellow,or something...what could they be??Really would be interesting to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Plissken1 wrote:
    My Cat is strange though, instead of bringing be a present of a mouse or bird, she brought me a t-bone steak (raw), I have no idea where she got it from, and i am afraid to ask the neighbors.

LOL

My cat did the same thing - he was hungry, I went to the fridge and pulled out a tin of food and put some in a saucer - he sniffs it, realises it's not his favourite brand, so trots off in a huff and a meow more like a chirp.

Comes back 10 mintues later over the garden wall with a roasted chicken-leg in his mouth :eek:

As for spiders, yeah, have seen more and more of them recently - I try and trap them and release them outside but the dang cat torments them until they're dead (before I get a chance to save them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 giasc

I'm glad I came on to Boards as was starting to freak out. Have had three massive spiders over the past week and can't help thinking it's the same one coming back over and over. Now I feel a lot better knowing that there out they're lurking in a lot of houses.
    I even have a dedicated Tuberware lunch box now.
    Someone previously mentioned spraying citronella mixed with water around the outside of the house to prevent the pests from seeking sanctuary inside??
    i'm going to try that tomorrow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I've just killed 2 in the space of an hour!!! Can hear them running over paper. I had a terrible time with them last summer, I think they've only come out recently as its getting warmer? My cat just ignores them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Just stick a drinking glass over them ! And slide a card underneath - then you can throw it outside.

Spiders eat flies --> spiders = good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

Have none of you ever read Charlotte's Web?! :p

You shouldn't kill them just because they freak you out, unless they're poisonous (and they're not, in the sunny Emerald Isle) they haven't done anything to you, its not their fault they look freaky! Would you kill an ugly person because you can't stand to look at them?!
    -Leelo- wrote:
    caught in a glass and flushed down the toilet.

If you're going to catch it in a glass, you might as well set it free outside, that's what I do with them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 www.sphynx.ie

cherrycool wrote:
    Have none of you ever read Charlotte's Web?! :p

You shouldn't kill them just because they freak you out, unless they're poisonous (and they're not, in the sunny Emerald Isle) they haven't done anything to you, its not their fault they look freaky! Would you kill an ugly person because you can't stand to look at them?!

I'm agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Turned on the shower yesterday morning and this MASSIVE one came OUT the plughole! :eek:

Man they freak me out! I NEVER kill them though. I got the fecker in a glass and left him there till the other half came home and could set him free.

Always remember my grandmother saying "if you want to live and thrive then let the spider run alive". As much as I hate them I HATE flies more not they are TOTALLY pointless bastards :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

OH JESUSSSSSS!!!!! It's ALWAYS September they come..

Its dark outside.... I was washing something at the sink and on the outside of the window on the wall, this MONSTEROUS thing caught my eye.....I am severely arachniphobic.....I have goosebumps all over....I think it was trying to come in so I chucked a mug of scalding water at it to wash it off the window...I wont sleep tonight now.....

He was BIGGER than any of your photos, big THICK black legs...like an anorexic tarantula!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

the common house spider does bite, if they manage to get their fangs in they can cause an irritation or even a lump that's itchy but no adverse effects unless you have an allergic reaction like wasp or bee stings there venom isn't very potent. I noticed in another post someone saying they have strong venom but the fangs aren't long enough to effect humans , that is a myth associated with the daddy longs spider supposedly because they can kill and eat red back spiders lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

i catch them in a "bug catcher" - cover and slide trap door. Then let them out up the road and around the corner. These guys can see you coming. They are not one of God's creations. They are evil personified..or perhaps spiderfied would be more appropriate.

Advertisement