Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I love spiders can't understand why people are so afraid of them, I had two when I was a kid they were huge, they fit in the palm of my hand from tip of my finger to my wrist, my Mother called them Arkle and Ronnie, and I'm convinced if you kill one it will rain, they were just common house /garden spiders. What has been posted here with the tarantulas being the exception you anit seen nothing yet there just baby's I have one young one in my bath room at the minute I'll catch him and grow him and post him so you's can really see how big they really grow, have to hide him though my kid literaly passes out when he sees them and the other go's in to panic mod, not sure were they got the fear from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love spiders can't understand why people are so afraid of them, I had two when I was a kid they were huge, they fit in the palm of my hand from tip of my finger to my wrist, my Mother called them Arkle and Ronnie, and I'm convinced if you kill one it will rain, they were just common house /garden spiders. What has been posted here with the tarantulas being the exception you anit seen nothing yet there just baby's I have one young one in my bath room at the minute I'll catch him and grow him and post him so you's can really see how big they really grow, have to hide him though my kid literaly passes out when he sees them and the other go's in to panic mod, not sure were they got the fear from.
    :eek::eek::eek: OH MY GOD, getting the creeps just thinking about you catching and feeding a spider. *shivers* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

cheers dre as in dray,
    you can make out a kind of christ on the cross type image on its back...
    either that or two acrobats, ones holding the up the other which is doing upside down splits.
    and I'm convinced if you kill one it will rain,

many australians would beg to differ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

...my kid literaly passes out when he sees them and the other go's in to panic mod, not sure were they got the fear from.

no doubt from the spiders

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

OMG I'm so glad I read this thread, I was convinced they only came after me! lol

Was sitting at the computer desk a few weeks ago when I heard this scuttling sound(my room's carpet btw), thought it was a mouse and forgot about it. Happened a few more times and next thing this MONSTER of a spider came running out at me from nowhere :eek: and I screamed and it turned and ran under my wardrobe.
    So called the mother up who loves spiders and got her to look for it. She couldn't see it and was poking around with a biro when it suddenly made a run for it and scared the life out of me. I screamed again and it ran away again and my poor mother fell over from the fright I gave her! It's funny now but not at the time. My heart nearly stopped
    Anyway I had a few more of them come in for the next week or two and they always appeared right next to my bed.
    I used to be really terrified of them but since I've had to catch a few of them myself I've sorta been ok :cool:. Still hate them though!

• Advertisement

Spiders are more afraid of you than you are of them, imagine if A GIANT stood over you with a news paper poor little things I hate fly's so they deal with them for me and leave a beautiful web, until it gets dusty, I can't remember were it was a while back but I walked right in to a web, it felt like that twine your granny always tie things up with I got a fright thinking a spider the size of a great Dane would come running out at me, I couldn't find the spider but if that web was anything to go by it was a really big one.

Can't find this fellow in the bath room have to wait till he makes an appearance.

There's a guy called jungle something or other and I went to a party were he brought his I think 12ft snake beautiful and an aray of other insects, spiders, scorpions and a giant centipede I was fine with handling everything in clue ding his beautiful parrot and rabbit and iguana as I was left sitting with all three at the end of the day but the centipede was the one feared I can't stand all those legs but I let him put it on my wrist and what do you know it felt like a Velcro bracelet and I didn't have a problem with it as everyone else headed for the hills, it's the small one's that freak me out, must find his card, (just had an idea) If I hired him would an body be interested in coming to see him for a small donation to Ash, that would be a great way to meet more of you's now that I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

THE SPIDERS ARE MERGING?!??!?!?! :eek: oh dear god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can't remember where I found this (might even have been here - in which case.... ooops, soory) but you guys might enjoy it....

http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Cool my kids will love this and the cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Not reading this thread for obvious reasons after seeing one or two posts:)

Our local SuperValu has HUGE artificial hairy spiders draped over shelves; they are so realistic that we are not going in there until after Hallowe'en..

Mice are no problem; each has his own dislikes.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Cocolola wrote: »
    ..... She couldn't see it and was poking around with a biro when ...
    quote]

The anticipation! Very entertaining thread, LMAO here in work. Brightened up my day considerably... especially the guy who had his shoes thrown back at him by one in the bathroom :D

My own girlfriend let a shriek out of her the other night when she saw a nice big house spider in the sink. She immediately went for the taps but I rescued him in the nick of time and put him outside. He was probably eaten by the cat or puppy as he legged it for shelter but hey I did the right thing. After seeing him running up my forearm she didn't come near me for the night! If I had my way I'd plant a few spiders around the house strategically (not to scare the living sh!t out of my girlfriend :)) but to deal with flies. I hate hate hate hate hate flies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

found one 2 nites ago - biggest mother I've ever had the misfortune to see - it was high on a wall so I couldn't use my bugcatcher (no f***in way I was getting up on a stool and going face to face with it)..

So reluctantly I used a broom handle to put it out of MY misery. Feel bad but I am putting it down to self mental preservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

The spider pictured looks common enough to me, spiders never bothered me, don't get all the fuss. Years ago someone sees a big spider and its just that, now everyone wants to tie it into global warming , seriously peeps, relax its all a natural cycle. Just find yourself a good scientist and ask him/her. Spiders are part of the eco system, you don't want a country overrun with flies do you?

Me I love em, from the big hairy goliaths to the money spider. all welcome in my home.

MCOS wrote: »
    Cocolola wrote: »
    ..... She couldn't see it and was poking around with a biro when ...
    quote]

If I had my way I'd plant a few spiders around the house strategically (not to scare the living sh!t out of my girlfriend :)) but to deal with flies. I hate hate hate hate hate flies

ROLF ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

i know its not a big big spider but anyone seen anything like this:

48704A0FCCBA4B0E99BE7E4FE3B8A467-500.jpg

6EA64AFE214A465B86EA0A7C8779C45A-500.jpg

if un-named i dub thee punkrockapillar!

Yeah I seen lots of them when I lived in Roscomommon

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Parkowen

My son does not like spiders - and today he saw one in the kitchen. He looked for some implement to kill it with and the closest thing to hand was a creme brulee torch and so the poor spider was cremated instantly.

Unfortunately my son suffers from panic and anxiety attacks and had read somewhere that any venomous spiders in Ireland while they may be able to poison you in some fashion, they are unable to pierce the skin and get the venom into your bloodstream. He is now worried that he may have inhaled the dehydrated venom which this spider could have had.

I am well aware there is no chance of it having any effect on him - but anyone who knows more about spiders may be able to back me up and help me allay his fears. I know this may seem a little strange but its just his anxiety driving his fear.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Parkowen wrote: »
    My son does not like spiders - and today he saw one in the kitchen. He looked for some implement to kill it with and the closest thing to hand was a creme brulee torch and so the poor spider was cremated instantly.

Unfortunately my son suffers from panic and anxiety attacks and had read somewhere that any venomous spiders in Ireland while they may be able to poison you in some fashion, they are unable to pierce the skin and get the venom into your bloodstream. He is now worried that he may have inhaled the dehydrated venom which this spider could have had.

I am well aware there is no chance of it having any effect on him - but anyone who knows more about spiders may be able to back me up and help me allay his fears. I know this may seem a little strange but its just his anxiety driving his fear.

Thanks!

Not possible. You could swallow the thing and not get hurt.

Take this from an Australian, the only way a spider could kill you in Ireland is if it ran you down with a car.

We have the biggest, meanest poisonous spiders on the planet back in Oz and noone has died from one since 1984 and that person was very young.

I personally have been bitten twice by black house spiders in Australia and I barely even got sick, and those things are bigger and nastier than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Parkowen

Thanks - that all helped - sometimes kids never listen to their parents and need to hear things from others!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

seriously guys, I am freaking out here. I hate spiders and am soooo afraid of them). Are these pics real? Are you saying those monsters can get into my house?
    Jesus, does anyone know any spray or anything to stope them from getting into a house? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

While on holiday in S. Africa I woke up in the morning to find this thing on the pillow beside my head. That's a pint glass.

I'm ok with spiders most of the time but this was crazy. Himself took it outside and left it under the glass until we were leaving later that day cos we knew it'd find a way to get us otherwise. *grin* he literally lifted the glass and ran to the bus!

The house (here in Ireland) is full of big spiders at the moment - it's great for the cats though - they're 4 months and 6 months and get great sport out of spider-hunting.

xxKate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gingy Fly

kitten_bar wrote: »
    While on holiday in S. Africa I woke up in the morning to find this thing on the pillow beside my head. That's a pint glass.

I'm ok with spiders most of the time but this was crazy. Himself took it outside and left it under the glass until we were leaving later that day cos we knew it'd find a way to get us otherwise. *grin* he literally lifted the glass and ran to the bus!

The house (here in Ireland) is full of big spiders at the moment - it's great for the cats though - they're 4 months and 6 months and get great sport out of spider-hunting.

xxKate

Nice Spidy, that is a Huntsman Spider, unsure which species but nice indeed.

Cheers

Gingy Fly wrote: »
    Nice Spidy, that is a Huntsman Spider, unsure which species but nice indeed.

Cheers

Ah the huntsman. Most common of the freaky hand sized spiders.

woofie87 wrote: »
    seriously guys, I am freaking out here. I hate spiders and am soooo afraid of them). Are these pics real? Are you saying those monsters can get into my house?
    Jesus, does anyone know any spray or anything to stope them from getting into a house? :eek:

flamethrower.jpg

Sorry guys don't know were my spider went. Was looking forward to a new pet.The dogs tend to get them before I do so I'll have to wait for a new one to move in to grow one for you's.

At Halloween I put lots of small plastic spiders in a bowl of sweets for the kids, it's great fun to see kids run a mile from my door and saves a fortune on candy, and if their not afraid I give them out the bowl with a dead rat half stuck in jelly and covered in eatable fake blood, I love freaking kids out at Halloween, you find loads of stuff to play around with in arts and crafts stores. This year I'm going to try to get the one that works by remote control and make it move on a plate of sweets when they reach for it.

Hehe:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

why of why did i click onto this thread at half 2 in the morning when im in bed:(,,,anyone remember that film with the tarantulas invested in the house???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

please ****ing tell me these spiders like that ****ing one with massive legs are not in ireland...**** SAKE..WHY DID I READ THIS ****ING THREAD..I HATE SPIDERS. I GET THE FEELING ONE OF THEM IS CRAWLING AROUND MY BED NOW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

please ****ing tell me these spiders like that ****ing one with massive legs are not in ireland...**** SAKE..WHY DID I READ THIS ****ING THREAD..I HATE SPIDERS. I GET THE FEELING ONE OF THEM IS CRAWLING AROUND MY BED NOW.

same you just get this tingle feelin on ur legs and hair..well dats what im feeling now...ahhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

WHY ARE THEY SO BIG? I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY THIS SIZE BUT HAVE SEEN THE ODD WHOPPER ONE IN MY ATTIC....HOW CAN I STOP THEIR ONSLAUGHT?

Advertisement