Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

WHY ARE THEY SO BIG? I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY THIS SIZE BUT HAVE SEEN THE ODD WHOPPER ONE IN MY ATTIC....HOW CAN I STOP THEIR ONSLAUGHT?

Because they sneak up on you in the middle of the night and drink your warm blood while you sleep, ever give the back of your neck a good scratch in the morning and wonder why you feel so drained even though you slept like a bug in a rug all night.:D

Just kidding spiders can't drink humane blood they'd chock on our blood cells the poor things.

Hehe:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

jesus...so really there is massive house spiders in ireland who could have had babies in my house and now they could be becoming huge?

IMAGINE SEEING SOMETHING LIKE THIS AT NIGHT TIME..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

My dog sorts them in my house... she kills them but she doesn't eat them so I don't mind hoovering up "the remains"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

tt0047573

I know it's not spiders but this scared the bejesus out of me as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

its the year of the big ones, seen loads of them around the bushes at work bigger then i remember last year, also appering later seems they came out when the weather started going downhill... well more downhill.

But the webs do look great covered in dew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Bond-007 wrote: »

When we first moved to Ireland we rented a old farmhouse in the kitchen was a web with a BIRD in it! I did not want to meet that SPIDER!

LOL.

I'm ashamed to say it but I'm a man in my thirties and I'm afraid of spiders :o - got bitten on the underside of my wrist when I was a young child and never forgot it. People often say you cant get bitten but I did. The thoughts of that Kong spider that caught the bird will keep me awake for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

What creeps me out the most about these fecking G.H.S. giant house spiders, is that they just walk around (making noise I might add) instead of just hanging about in webs and celing corners and stuff like normal spiders!

As much as I don't like spidies, there are a few who live in the corners of my roof and never seem to move. I can ignore them.

But these G.H.S. just seemto walk everywhere and I don't like it! Why do they do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Anyone with a spider problem might take a look at this recent news report from the BBC -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7573530.stm

Some of the spiders pictured look similar to the photos of one's posted here.

One in particular is scary! If a spider like that sat on his hind legs and attempted to jump at me I'd feckin' emigrate to somewhere very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

I just read this news piece Realtine... I think I have a picture from last week of the one that bites!! It was in my living room the other morning and I took a pic so my other half would believe me when I said it was 'that big' (two arms stretched out as far apart as possible) it REALLY looked like that 'aggressive' new one to the UK they were talking about... I'll check my camera this evening when I get home and post it. Yuck. I was never afraid of sipers until now!! Gulp.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xxmarymoxx

any one have any idea wat this species is sorry the pic is so big but so was the spider he went to bite my brother wen he tried to pic im up
    spider_0051.JPG

anyone on this thread or on this forum that can help identify
    a really strange spider i found check this thread please!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055469061

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I had one of these giants - Tegenaria I think, behind a wardrobe in the house I rent. At first I thought it was plastic, and the landlord was playing a cruel trick. I have one of the most fantastic inventions ever - a spidercatcher consisting of a little perspex box with a sliding door, at the end of a blissfully long handle! But this one didn't fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to squish his legs in - and the box is 3 inches long, so that officially makes him a monster. I couldn't set him free in my garden, I walked way down the road and chucked him into a field.
    Anyway, what I would love to know is - how the hell did he get that big, what was he eating? Because there are no flies in my house, and the window in that room hasn't been opened for ages. Was it wandering around the house, living off crumbs? Could it have been eating the cats food? Most importantly, do they live in groups???
    And house spiders definitely can bite, I have been a horrified victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

We always had these house spiders in our gaff when we were growing up. They inherited the name of "George" for some reason, e.g. " There is a big fvckin George in the shower, Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!" etc etc
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joconfin

i went to ireland last year with my family and we stayed in a old cottage and it was full of them monsters! every night we would go to bed when we woke up there were loads more it was a night mere! one night we slept with the lights on! it put me off going again. they are brown and cream strip colour and massive we dont have them in england! what are they called?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

tck wrote: »
    Interesting fact, The venom in a common household spider is more poisonous than a Black Widow's or a Brown Recluse, but they cannot bite humans because their jaws won't open wide enough.

Thats total bull crap.
    It is an urban legend and it is not the house spider that the legend is spun
    about ( pardon the pun ) but the Gnat/ Daddy long legs.
    Anyway it is not true.

Apparently they can give you a nasty nip, a bit like a bee sting but not
    dangerous. I don`t know if this is true as I have never been bitten.
    Normally I just pick them up and release them into the garden.
    The wife and kids nearly have a heart attack as I walk by them and
    pretend to throw the Spider at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickser2009

Despite its bad reputation, the Black Widow is generally not considered the deadliest spider in the world, even though its bite can make you ill and does call for medical attention. It’s hard to identify harmless spiders that look like Black Widows unless one is a spider expert, or an arachnologist.
    The Guinness Book of World Records considers the Brazilian wandering spider to be the world’s deadliest spider. This is based on the spider’s venom being able to kill a certain number of mice. For a human, a bite from a Brazilian spider, or any spider for that matter, is not likely to kill instantly. Only 7% of the cases of bites from the Brazilian Wandering Spider require antivenin. Additionally, of 7000 reported bites from the Brazilian wandering spider, only a few deaths have been recorded, less than 1% of those bitten.
    The statement that the Funnel Web Spider is the deadliest spider also requires some consideration. While one child died within 15 minutes of having received a Funnel Web Spider bite, adult fatalities when the adult was not treated took two to three days to occur. Again, death rate for bites from these spiders are under 1%. Only about 10% of people who receive a bite from a Funnel Web Spider require antivenin, though all should see a doctor.
    The Brown Recluse is yet another candidate for deadliest spider. It is said to cause a bite that results in skin necrosis, infection and possible amputation. It is also said to be frequently found in California, when in fact, only 10 specimens of Brown Recluse have ever been collected there. It is certainly possible that a Brown Recluse or two makes it to California via people moving from the Midwest, but California is not the spider’s natural habitat. Again, the Brown Recluse tends to be the victim of bad press, and though bites from the Brown Recluse do need medical care, they seldom result in people’s limbs being amputated, and they occur with much less frequency than is often purported.

Just thought i would share that with any Spider lovers out there! Generally spiders won't bite you unless you aggrevate them or disturb their usual habitat and they don't live under your toilet seat or pillow, but if you're in Australia, especially the North East Coast, then you should check under your pillow every night before hitting the hay!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

There are no Spiders in Ireland that can kill you, in fact there I think the only species that can actually bite through a Humans skin is the Woodlouse Spider and even he is not dangerous.

I agree with the last poster in that the most venomous Spider in the world
    is the Brazillian Wandering Spider but I think he is more dangerous than he/she makes out.
    The funnel Web Spider of Australia is lethal to Primates but is harmless to
    cats and dogs.

At the end of the day, if it were not for Spiders we would all be dead long ago.
    Everything they do ( apart from the odd bite ) is beneficial to Mankind and they should never be harmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

but if you're in Australia, especially the North East Coast, then you should check under your pillow every night before hitting the hay!

Oh dear lord......Im going to a wedding in Cairns in 2weeks and my "loving" boyfriend who lived in OZ for 5years assured me theres nothing to worry about. Words will be had when he comes home from work today!!!! And I proabably won't sleep until now and when i come home from OZ :(

LBD wrote: »
    Oh dear lord......Im going to a wedding in Cairns in 2weeks and my "loving" boyfriend who lived in OZ for 5years assured me theres nothing to worry about. Words will be had when he comes home from work today!!!! And I proabably won't sleep until now and when i come home from OZ :(

LOL - dont sleep - seriously:

I saw one on youtube where the huntsmand spider grabbed, with its two front legs, the end of a broom handle that a person was poking at it :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

LOL - dont sleep - seriously:

F%$* my life........maybe I'll just get too hammered to notice LOL.....thanks for the video though, just what I needed ;)

LBD wrote: »
    F%$* my life........maybe I'll just get too hammered to notice LOL.....thanks for the video though, just what I needed ;)

oh no you`ll need your full wits about you....one false move

That man is clearly mentally challenged.....I am contemplating renting a bee keepers suit or something similar for my stay in Cairns/Brisbane....possibly something made of reinfoced steel???? I'm off to research it now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There are no Spiders in Ireland that can kill you, in fact there I think the only species that can actually bite through a Humans skin is the Woodlouse Spider and even he is not dangerous.

There are plenty of spiders that can bite through a humans skin here, including the daddy long legs but more obviously the common house spider. They are just not dangerous and at most will leave and itchy bump.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Whats the most common way of dealing with unwanted big spiders. For me I try to squash them but finding it more difficult. There is a guy in my bathroom and while he is not the biggest I have ever seen he was the 'smartest' and hardest to get to. He would stay under the door shimmying right and left as you opened and closed it. He was way too fast to spamp on. My only option in the end was to spray a bit of expanded foam into the hole when he ran back into it and hope it ****ed him and his family up. I am pro spiders, anything is better than flys but not overly fond of them in and around the house where I can see them. Is there a spray or anything you can use to drive them out or at least keep them out of sight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Saruman wrote: »
    There are plenty of spiders that can bite through a humans skin here, including the daddy long legs but more obviously the common house spider. They are just not dangerous and at most will leave and itchy bump.

ill think all has changed now we do have deadly spiders here.

1243234846-spider-185_182566a.jpg

Irish college graduates are heading abroad in their thousands but it’s not all one-way traffic. Potentially deadly spiders are finding their way to Ireland in plants, fruit and machinery.
    Doctors at the Mater hospital in Dublin have just reported the case of a 21-year-old woman who was admitted to A&E twice in 2007 after a suspected spider bite. They believe she was bitten on the wrist by a venomous spider that had hitched a ride from Australia in the luggage of a visitor.
    The doctors who treated the woman have published the case report to alert other healthcare workers to the symptoms caused by bites from venomous spiders.
    Fergal Cummins, a consultant in emergency medicine, said: “We are very keen to highlight things as soon as they become obvious in case a trend develops. Those of use who had seen [spider bites] before [in Australia] were pretty convinced immediately.”
    Venomous spiders are making their way to Ireland mainly in plants and fruit, particularly bunches of grapes. Black widow spiders, whose bite can be lethal, have come into Ireland on fruit imported from America. Other poisonous spiders have hitched lifts on machinery.
    Last year a hunstman spider, which looks like a flattened tarantula and can leap several feet in the air, stowed a ride on a rally car imported from the Australian outback into Northern Ireland.
    The woman treated at the Mater was an Australian living and working in Ireland. She had visitors from her homeland staying with her, and shortly after their arrival, she was sitting on the ground near their luggage when she felt a searing pain on her right wrist. Doctors believe it was an Australian white-tailed spider but cannot say definitively because it wasn’t caught.
    Six weeks later she was admitted to A&E again with flu-like symptoms. Danielle Ni Chroinin, another doctor who was working in A&E in the Mater, said: “Her wrist and arm were quite sore and she had difficulty moving the hand, and it had tingling in it.”
    Cummins said: “We want people to be aware that with global migration, people visiting from overseas might be smuggling things in their luggage.”
    Archie Murchie of the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute in Belfast, said: “With increased trade in general, we are getting a lot of produce
    coming in from abroad, and it is coming in quicker and more refrigerated so it is likely there will be more invasive species coming in. They are surprisingly hardy. If they are in a chilled environment they will survive longer.
    “For every species that is introduced accidentally there is only about one in a thousand that will become a problem.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you are going to copy and paste an article, can you post the link to the article please?

It is certainly possible we have some deadly spiders here now but our climate does not agree with them so they should only be short lived and unless they get lucky and find somewhere they can survive they will be oddities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

TomTom wrote: »
    ...Is there a spray or anything you can use to drive them out or at least keep them out of sight?

Hairspray + a lighter works well

but do not use on net curtains. they cant handle that kind of heat WHATSOEVER :o

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    If you are going to copy and paste an article, can you post the link to the article please?

It is certainly possible we have some deadly spiders here now but our climate does not agree with them so they should only be short lived and unless they get lucky and find somewhere they can survive they will be oddities.
    Sorry i thought i posted the link also.here it is.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6301907.ece

Advertisement