Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Am I the only one that gets itchy crawly sensations all over me as I read this??:o
    I have an extreme fear of wasps, boss asked me to empty the bin outside the shop last year, I said ya no bother, went outside, opened the lid and at least 6 wasps flew out into my face, I ran screaming back in and was practically in tears with extreme shakes, havent emptied the bins since:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

scargill wrote: »
    From the Irish Times:
    "Australian 'monster' not so deadly"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0825/breaking61.htm

Thanks!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

Can't remember whose auto biography I read it in, but the writer grew up with his parents owning & running a pub in the schticks (back in the 70s).

As a child he used to collect empty matchboxes from the bar, fill them with as many big spiders as he could find & then leave them randomly around the pub for people to pick up..

Can you imagine the fright you would get upon opening a box of matches & loads of spiders running out of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

2Poc wrote: »
    Can't remember whose auto biography I read it in, but the writer grew up with his parents owning & running a pub in the schticks (back in the 70s).

As a child he used to collect empty matchboxes from the bar, fill them with as many big spiders as he could find & then leave them randomly around the pub for people to pick up..

Can you imagine the fright you would get upon opening a box of matches & loads of spiders running out of it :D

Genius!lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I think there was a spider on me. I opened the door of the garden shed and walked through a bit of a web. I thought I felt something on my neck but I looked down and I didn't see anything. Then I was in the house and I thought I felt something on my neck again but saw nothing. I was a bit freaked out so I took off my tshirt and shook it out. Again I saw nothing, so I thought I had imagined it. I put the same tshirt back on and got into the car. I had been driving for about 2 mins and I felt something on my back. I'm terrified of spiders so I was freaking out. I was at a stop sign, so I managed to grap the 'thing' and squash it the one hand. I drove back home and pulled off my tshirt as soon as I got into the hall. There was no spider-body, but there was a big greeny-brown stain. I will never wear that tshirt again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

2Poc wrote: »

Love it!!
    Last night (did not have a camera to hand) I walked in to my en-suite and on a shelf above my eye level (can not see what is on said shelf) I saw these two large spider legs so I figured it was a big one. I stood up on the toilet and yes the fecker was massive. Just a very large house spider.

I had to kill him or my wife would freak out. I would say he was two inches in length including his legs but at a normal shape. If his legs were stretched out flat then he would have been a lot bigger. Probably about as big as they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 troy1

I've seen a few of these too recently. Really big ones. Didn't know we had spiders so big in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭notso-quiet1

woke up to a male crawling down my arm the other night, my god they are discusting, ended waking up my fam and dad wasnt to impressed that he had to move the bed and go spider hunting, got him in the end tho haha:D

also came face to face with another huge one (think female) on the wall, turned around to face the wall and it was less than a foot away from my face:(. they come around every year, and every year they just seem to get bigger and bigger. it is funny watching the female up high on the roof, and males coming along to try and impress her. seen a fair few fights between males too.

over all they are fine, at a very large distance and outside but once they break in and i find them within stomping level they havnt a hope:)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

There was a big black spider id say the size of my hand sitting on the wall in my bedroom the other day. Like a man i stayed the other side of the room trying to shoot him with a pellet gun but he was dodging the bullets matrix style.

My girlfriend later came in picked him up and let him go in the garden . I'm terrified he's gonna come back to get revenge on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Have had one or two of the really big guys in my house.

But by far the worst experience of spiders was in South Africa.

We were staying in a camp on safari and the first night we couldn't sleep with the noise from the overhead fan. Switched it off and went back to bed... then it started...*thump*.... *splat!*.... spider after spider falling from our thatched roof onto our pillows :P

The spiders there are bloody huge! Sounded like golf balls falling onto the bed. Still makes me shiver thinking about it now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

J.Ball wrote: »
    My girlfriend later came in picked him up and let him go in the garden . I'm terrified he's gonna come back to get revenge on me.

And like a man, you let your GF sort it out;)

Yes, it probably will come back in to get you. Indoor spiders always come back indoors.

Please don't stamp on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

I just killed a huge brown spider there a minute ago :eek:

I just spotted it crawling along the floor, my dad spotted it earlier on running under the couch

I squished it with a ruler. I do feel a bit guilty after killing him but it was either him or me, i couldn't risk him getting away he was running like Usain Bolt under my desk :(

If i knew for certain i could of caught him i'd of just put him outside but i couldn't risk it :o

Oh and theres too many of them Daddy long legs roaming about i ******* hate them things i know they can't harm me but their legs are too long and i don't want them hitting off me..:o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I fcuking HATE spiders I've posted on a couple of other threads about the big massive ones but last night I went to wash my hands in the bathroom and there was a horrible looking thing plonked in between the taps. He looked like a crane fly without wings with 2 parts to his body. Does anyone know what their called? When I started screaming he got up on his back legs:eek: It was freaky looking. Anyhow he was carefully put out the window by someone. I hate the fcukers but wouldn't kill one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I'm looking around my room now, pretty conscious of my surroundings after reading this thread. :eek: Cant believe there are spiders that big around! Fair dont wanna see one in my house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

:D:D:eek:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24540399-5009760,00.html

You know you want to look but be warned its big;)

ambman wrote: »

That can't be real:eek: If it is the poor birdy

Oh HMOG!! :eek: If they ever come to this country i'm getting a rocket out of this world. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

ziggy23 wrote: »
    That can't be real:eek: If it is the poor birdy

Its real ok. Would fancy walking out the front door in the morning straight into his web:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ballivor cobber

Think it might be wood louse spider but am not sure. Found inside our house in Sept in Meath

Its real ok. Would fancy walking out the front door in the morning straight into his web:eek:

Had some lovely spider-related nightmares last night thanks to this thread:(
    Oh well I just had to look didn't I :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Did you really? Any dreams of spiders means you gain money or material wealth, if it was a nightmare it means the opposite. Just a theory. :)

KittyKat wrote: »
    Did you really? Any dreams of spiders means you gain money or material wealth, if it was a nightmare it means the opposite. Just a theory. :)

:D if only that were true I'd be a millionaire but no I'm on the dole:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭NotSoDumbBlonde

Trotter wrote: »
    Here's the lad now.. just before he got a puck of hello magazine.

image022eu2.jpg

Why did I click on this thread knowing that I am a big old typical arachnphobic - curiosity bla bla!? Anyway, that's not my point - a DaddyLongLegs landed on my FACE about 5 minutes ago (how he made it from the kitchen to the BR is beyond me) but I swear, I have never jumped out of bed as quickly. My laptop fell, I woke my OH and probably all neighbours. Yes, i thought it was one of the above b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Icaruswing

Keep finding these feckers in my appartment {2nd floor}, they're huge. I generally don't mind spiders but anything over 1" freaks me out. However watching them fight is funny, as long as they don't land on me in bed :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Think it might be wood louse spider but am not sure. Found inside our house in Sept in Meath

I believe it's the extra long front legged pant brownifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

we have had huge issues with HUGE spiders around where we live, i was a pirsoner in my own home for a day cos there was a HUGEMONGOUS one above the front door frame, not even the hoover with the big long nozzle could remove it!! Anyways my brave lickle kitty loves finding them and then playing with them til they die, he has even attempted to eat a few! So my advice to anyone with these GET A CAT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Icaruswing

9518_1106121340341_1446022605_30264892_7413415_n.jpg

My latest visitor, {pic posted in actual size to demonstate size of spider, pic taken from about a half a foot away - a foot away} >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

For the past few nights I've had to remove about 3 spiders in the size shown above from my room. Seriously what the fock like. Time to look for a new place to live :( The place was spider free for the last 2-3 months too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Lamposts wrote: »
    For the past few nights I've had to remove about 3 spiders in the size shown above from my room. Seriously what the fock like. Time to look for a new place to live :( The place was spider free for the last 2-3 months too.

They come into the house this time of year they are sometimes called harvest spiders - tis getting cold & they want to come into the warmth & breed. They are harmless & will catch & eat other bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ron leinad

I currently have a nice sized spider in a large jar the kids love him I fed him this evening with a daddy longlegs and a small fly any idea how long before he will need feeding again and do they need water?

Advertisement