Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding dodgy areas

Options
  • 26-08-2006 3:41am

Been looking for accommodation in Dublin forever....I wanted a place in Rathmines, Rathgar etc but couldn't find a thing available for students and didn't want to leave it too late. I was trying to avoid somewhere dodgy but ALL of Dublin seems dodgy these days. Saw a few places in Dublin 1 (Gardiner St) and though 'no way'. Anyway, I found a place off New Street South I think it is, near St Pats Cathedral. My friend lived there last year it seemed a bit dodgy, but I went to see the place via a few different routes and it seemed grand (couldn't go at night tho) and that said, my friend never had a problem.

Now I'm worried its a dangerous area to get to. I heard Cuffe St is dodge and the Coombe, and so is the top of Dame St, Thomas St area which is the quickest route. Are these places only dodgy at night? I went down all of them by day and while they looked a bit rough (council flats etc) I didn't feel threatened or see any scumbags (maybe they're all on holidays in Lanzarote?) Another way is via Georges St, which looked OK? Does anyone know a safe route to take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

For the disgrace of an area that it is Christchurch (St Pats area essentially) is a very high rent price. Honestly, I know a few blow ins and one or two have been robbed. One Dutch girl I know living there said that while the heroin dealing struck her at thwe start, its so common she barely notices any more, thats how bad it is Im a Blanch head whop is currently homeless and living in hostels and on couches in the south inner city, I pass thru Christchurch on the 39 every morbning, the side of the civic offices is like something out of a Notorious BIG tune, pure open air dealing. If you want to see what Christchurch is like beforehand, watch the 2 HBO dramas The Wire and The Corner. They are both about the police fight against open air heroin and crack markets in the city of Baltimore, Maryland. If you replace the young black teenagers selling crack on the corners with young Irish lads bedecked in sovereigns and chains selling heroin, yiv effectively got Christchurch, the place is an open air un impeded drug market. It is unbelieveable how much they get away with.

Gardiner Street is fairlyu dodgy, though it seems well patrolled by cops and Ive never seen trouble there. Thomas Street, never been but ive heard its another open air drug market. As for Georges Street, my mate lives near Griffith College, thats a grand area, its mainly students or Pakistani immigrants (must be at least 60% muslim, theyre not mugging or anything at least) but you bypass some fairly dodgy places walking to his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Everywhere in the city centre can be dodgy - I lived on Gardiner street (beside hill 16 pub) a few years ago and had no problems, although ppl say its a "dodgy" area.
    I wouldnt live in Thomas street or near christ church. Georges street is ok. Why not try the north side- drumcondra/glasnevin is full of students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I live on Aungier St and the most you would deal with is homeless alco's, harmless enough but still you couldnt trust them as I found out one eve when one of them threw a glass in my direction.... Agree with Christchurch dodgy as ****, any of the places mentioned gardner st, thomas st also dodgy. Francis St also. Another street that comes to mind is Cork St (2 killings in as many weeks). In fact a lot of the streets in behind francis st moving towards guinness are none too desirable... But the winner has to be summerhill, I actually felt a bit scared walking down it... during the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

The Liffey Boardwalk seems to be another dealer paradise these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

voxpop wrote:
    Everywhere in the city centre can be dodgy - I lived on Gardiner street (beside hill 16 pub) a few years ago and had no problems, although ppl say its a "dodgy" area.

That's were it all kicked off last night between Bohs and Rovers fans!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

New Street is not the worst place to live... it has it's share of problems but no more than any other area in the inner city.

A real plus is that you live near Fallons!!! Great pint there!!!

• I've already paid the rent so I'm there for at least September and it would be a real hassle to move out :mad:
    I was looking in Drumcondra but didn't see anywhere for rent, same with Ranelagh and Rathmines. Saw places in Rathfarnham but didn't want to live that far out in case I missed the last bus and couldn't walk. Seems ridiculous that basically everywhere else is considered dodgy. I rang up somewhere in Fairview and she told me the street was grand but to get there you had to walk down a dodgy street.

My mate lived very near to where I'll be last year and never had a single problem but she's very very naive and oblivious to drug dealing and the like. Would I have problems with my personal safety around there? What is the best route to take? If I have to avoid Thomas St and the Coombe, I am a bit stumped TBH. I used to go via Aungier St, then on past St Pats cathedral, cross Patrick St and then up a bit of the Coombe which I'm now told to avoid. I didn't used to like going there at night and she told me I was being silly and that it was grand. I had never heard it was THAT dodgy though which is why I assumed she was right. I only knew to avoid around Christchurch Cathedral. So is there a safe route to take? I don't mind if it takes a bit longer if it's a better idea. Is it safe at night or would I have to take a taxi? How much would it be (New St Sth area)? What about buses and nightlinks? Hope someone can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I lived right by New Street and NEVER had a problem.

I love living in this area (currently on James St) and dread the day I have kids and the pressure starts to live 100 miles from Dublin. You will have to drag me kicking and screaming from Dublin 8.

Living in the south inner city is great- and once you take the usual precautions you would anywhere, its also safe. The whole of town is your local! I have often walked home from town, but when the heels are on and I get a taxi it's only about €6. New street would probably be less.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my friends live in a lovely apartment on cook street, its a dodgy area and the girl did have her car broken into once(she foolishly left bags on the seats). its not that bad an area, theres a methadone clinic nearby that draws the trouble but really its not the worst, and i'm fairly sketchy when it comes to that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Jude Yellow Succotash: i used to work out around that area, on francis st., and a mate of mine lives on francis st. now. its a bit dodge, but you follow the simple rule of when you're walking around dublin (or any city) on your own, keep an eye and an ear out along the street.

Try not to pass down by the methadone clinic if you can manage it though - used have to do runs from francis st. to the civic offices and continuously got shouted at/threatened etc. when they realised I didnt want to by anything.

• Advertisement

• Where abouts is the methodone clinic? I don't think I actually have to go down Francis St, I think I walk a bit up the Coombe and turn left. Is that where Chartbusters is? That's where I'd go onto the Coombe, from Bull Alley St next to the cathedral.

How bad is Cuffe St? I went that way once and once I passed that and Camden Row it was a long street of small houses, didn't seem dodgy but it was daytime. What about the Montague St/Camden St/Wexford St area? Or The Cuffe and then Kevin St, past DIT? Seems like the further down south you go the better....when I viewed the flat I went from Rathmines/Harolds Cross up Clanbrassil St and it seemed grand, I didn't realise it was so close to the cathedral. I'll be around Malpas St BTW. My friend was on O'Carolan Rd, a bit further back. I'm obsessed about the dodginess now, after reading it was a sketchy area. I probably would be perfectly happy if I hadn't read it, still better safe than sorry. The plus side is I now know Dublin 8 like the back of my hand if I'm ever a taxi driver :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's impossible to avoid dodgy area's in Dublin city centre, north or south. :) It shouldn't put you off living there though. What do you expect to happen?

• It's impossible to avoid dodgy area's in Dublin city centre, north or south

Yep, realised that early on in my flathunting mission! I'm not snobby or anything, the look of the place doesn't bother me but I'm worried about getting mugged, hassled and so on. I'm female and of Mediterranean appearance. Basically I don't care as long as any trouble doesn't involve me or stop me living my life. I don't want to go to my dance class in the evening and worry about walking home and that. Still I know loads of people who live in really dodgy areas and have been fine. Some of my friends live on Pearse St and never had a problem and I used to teach a girl on Talbot St, and never had issues there either. The one time I have had major hassle with scumbags was in Rathmines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

There is no methadone clinic on Cook Street. The closest one around there is on Castle Street, near Burdocks.

There is a homeless service on Cook Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Come on, stop worrying. Most of these places are nowhere near as dangerous as you think, not even Cork Street/Coombe area. There are dealers and freaks but mostly they're harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

My girlfriend lives up near Christchurch, and walks home alone a lot. She's never had any problems. One thing I've noticed though is potential bag snatchings. Girls going up to other girls looking for change, or a light, and then going for the handbag. But you just have to have your wits about you. Like your mum always said, 'don't talk to strangers'.

I live up at the Parnell St/Gardiner St area, and I've rarely seen anything kick off in the 2 years I've lived here. I've walked from My girlfriend's up at Christchurch, back up to my place many times, and have been fine. Just be wary of your surroundings. You're bound to feel aprehensive in a strange place..

K.

Advertisement