Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Artificial Insemination

• 26-08-2006 9:43am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is for a friend of mine.. She is still a virgin and is 32, she knows in her heart she will never meet a man and even if she did the thought of sex terrifies her... She is a wonderful person and loves children, she has someone else's baby/kids with her every time I see her, she lives for children and has become extremely anxious at the sound of her biological clock ticking... Her family think she is being ridiculous but myself and my mother have decided to try to help her find a place that will facilitate her in her quest to become a mother alone.. So my question is... Are there places in Ireland that will do this for her in light of the fact that she is a single woman?? Or even in the UK??

Or has anyone else gone through this and what were your experiences.... This girl is totally pc illiterate so I have volunteered to do all the ground work on the net for her... Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

How do you know she will never meet a man? That imo is a ridiculous thing to say! Also 32 is not that old, so i doubt her biological clock is anywhere near ticking out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

SaxoDuff wrote:
    How do you know she will never meet a man? That imo is a ridiculous thing to say! Also 32 is not that old, so i doubt her biological clock is anywhere near ticking out!

agreed :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

SaxoDuff wrote:

We suspect she might be gay but she hasn't actually said it... Anyway the question was weather anyone knew of a place that did the procedure, but thanks for your useful comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd be more interested in getting her help for the fact that shes terrified of sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

xzanti wrote:
    I have volunteered to do all the ground work on the net for her...

You mean we have been volunteered to do the ground work. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

If the thought of sex terrifies her then the thought of childbirth should really freak her out.

The Sims clinic was in the news recently over the woman who wanted to use frozen embryos that were fertilised with her ex husbands sperm and from what I've heard they're the biggest clinic in Ireland.

I'd imagine the well woman centres would be able to provide her with a full list of who offers what in assisted reproduction in Ireland and possibly the UK also.

I don't know how the attitude to helping a single woman conceiving as opposed to a couple differs but I'd imagine she'd be able to discuss this with the clinics.
    Maybe her first point of call should be to see someone such as a counsellor and discuss her "baby cravings" and maybe also look into her sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I work in the sims clinic in dublin. Yes, we do facilitate single women who wish to have children. You can pick your donor sperm and then you have investigatory procedures carried out - scans, bloods, etc to make sure you are capable of pregnancy. The cost for IVF including donor sperm is about €7k depending on where you get the sperm shipped from.

Call sims on 01 497 7774.

There is currently a 2-3 month waiting list to get a consultation in order to become a patient. But call and get your name on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Tri wrote:
    I work in the sims clinic in dublin. Yes, we do facilitate single women who wish to have children. You can pick your donor sperm and then you have investigatory procedures carried out - scans, bloods, etc to make sure you are capable of pregnancy. The cost for IVF including donor sperm is about €7k depending on where you get the sperm shipped from.

Call sims on 01 497 7774.

There is currently a 2-3 month waiting list to get a consultation in order to become a patient. But call and get your name on that list.

At last, a post that answers the question the OP asked.
    All facts, no opinions
    Good one Tri

ircoha wrote:
    At last, a post that answers the question the OP asked.
    All facts, no opinions
    Good one Tri

Exactly... Thanks a million Tri :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

adoption?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

well, like has been said. I think the op's friend has other problems to worry about...
    SaxoDuff wrote:

I concur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I have to say I'm always wary of people who have kids almost as some kind of lifestyle choice.

Do it the natural way if you can or just accept your lot in life.

Your friend sounds like a freak btw. Tell her to get her head sorted before she starts screwing up someone else life too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Any chance you people could actually answer the OP's question?

Yook wrote:
    You mean we have been volunteered to do the ground work. :)

Well thats what boards is for.. is it not?? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'd be more interested in getting her help for the fact that shes terrified of sex.

If the thoughts of sex terrify her, how is she coping with the thoughts of giving birth!?!?! Difficult to see how she has a fear of penetration in one direction but no difficulty at all with it in another direction tbh...

Darragh29 wrote:
    If the thoughts of sex terrify her, how is she coping with the thoughts of giving birth!?!?! Difficult to see how she has a fear of penetration in one direction but no difficulty at all with it in another direction tbh...
    Its not a fear of penitration... I shouldn't have said it terrified her it was a bad choice of words... She just doen't want to be with a man.. Can we forget about the sex thing now?? Anyway my question has been answered... Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sleipnir wrote:
    http://www.fertility4life.com/mni/[/QUOT

Cheers Sleipnir :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Why is every1 giving there opinion on the OP's friend's situation?? :confused:
    She didn't ask for an opinion just some information.
    Sex is about more than just penetration, I really doubt the OP meant her friend is scared of the pain of sex tbh.
    Nobody was volunteered to do the research into the subject, if you dont want to help the OP by giving her the information she needs then dont :mad:

I wish ur friend the best of luck OP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

sullivk wrote:
    Why is every1 giving there opinion on the OP's friend's situation?? :confused:
    She didn't ask for an opinion just some information.
    Sex is about more than just penetration, I really doubt the OP meant her friend is scared of the pain of sex tbh.
    Nobody was volunteered to do the research into the subject, if you dont want to help the OP by giving her the information she needs then dont :mad:

I wish ur friend the best of luck OP ;)
    mmm, why did you post? No one asked you for your opinion on the opinions of the other peoples opinions, so my opinion you just wasted a good chance to post you opinion on the ops question rather than your opinion on other peoples opinions... ya dig? 'course ya do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For a good while now the only option in Ireland has been in Clane, but they would not treat single women or lesbian couples.

Delighted SIMS treats single women - do they also treat lesbian couples, or should prospective patients pretend to be single?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last warning here - stick to the OT.

Advice on insemination only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Unfortunately Sims dont treat lesbian couples. Dont know the ins and outs to be honest, but its something to do with insufficient legislation. And sims are not prepared to take the risk. Basically, too many potential lawsuits in terms of who's the 'parent's' etc etc.

Personally, I think its a terrible shame that Clane is still the one place where lesbian couples can get treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If they won't treat lesbian couples what chance does a single lesbian have, or is she just not going to disclose that :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Up to early last year Clane would not treat lesbians - have they changed their policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

xzanti wrote:
    We suspect she might be gay but she hasn't actually said it... Anyway the question was weather anyone knew of a place that did the procedure, but thanks for your useful comment...

Shouldn't you be encouraging her to address her (possible) sexuality issues before you drop a child into her lap? Your decision is ridiculous, if you feel the ned to meddle like this take up a hobby. Help anyone to have/adopt/acquire a child when they have emotional issues themselves is the height of idiocy.

tbh sounds to me like you've taken this on yourself with very little actual thought to the welfare of this girl, or any child she might have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is a Yahoo group that your friend might be interested in:

Alternative Parents Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Shouldn't you be encouraging her to address her (possible) sexuality issues before you drop a child into her lap? Your decision is ridiculous, if you feel the ned to meddle like this take up a hobby. Help anyone to have/adopt/acquire a child when they have emotional issues themselves is the height of idiocy.

tbh sounds to me like you've taken this on yourself with very little actual thought to the welfare of this girl, or any child she might have.

A classic "friend" story ;)

In some agreement with the point made here though OP. You or your friend should consider exploring the issues surrounding your/their sexuality before considering the committment of children. Personally speaking I believe it would be disingenuous to a child to raise him/her without a father - making allowances for circumstances where that may not be possible obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Maybe the OP's friend is perfectly happy with her sexuality, whatever that may be, but doesn't feel like broadcasting it to everybody?
    People have a right to be gay, straight, bi, so surely they have a right to be non sexual.

She could be a perfectly balanced well-grounded 32 year old who has made a decision that she doesn't want to have a relationship with a man but would love to have a child.

There is some good stuff @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_insemination
    And some links at the end of that page

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

And what about the other way round ?

What if a man wanted to get the baby - but didn't want to bother with the woman ??? Is that possible also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

SaxoDuff wrote:
    SaxoDuff you are wise behond your years :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement