Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Botanic_Living

Options
  • 26-08-2006 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Has anyone here had any dealings/experience with Botanic_Living (hxxp://www.botaniclivinggp.com).

I am interested in their 4x9m 1 bedroomed wooden building. Hoping to stick it in the back garden. According to the website, it has a pricetag of Eur 22K.

Would I need planning permission for a structure like this?

What do people think of the quality of the structures - are they worth the money?

Any others out there with an equivalent product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't know anything about the company mentioned but beware that if you hope to get the building included in your household insurance make enquiries about it before you build, you may find insurance companies reluctant to cover you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

looksee wrote:
    ... beware that if you hope to get the building included in your household insurance make enquiries about it before you build, you may find insurance companies reluctant to cover you.
    Will check it out once I see if its otherwise worthwhile and planning doesnt become an issue.

I did read a previous thread posted by someone who owned a shomera (an equivalent - but much more expensive - product). They seemed to suggest that they had to pay an additional Eur 100/year in insurance. If thats the case, I can live with it.

I currently have a 4 bed semi - with three of the four rooms rented out. If I am still happy with this idea once I've done some more digging, I will be renting out the fourth room and living in the 4x9.2m 1 bed/kitchenette/bathroom/living room wooden house.

I know there are planning issues here to overcome - which I have as yet to get to the bottom of. The plan would be to place the structure in the bottom corner of an end house in an estate (no neighbours on that side). With an area of 36.8m2, and a remaining garden area of 40m2. would I..

1. Get planning for an additional living space?
    2. Get planning for the structure but not as a living space?
    3. Not likely to get planning?

The botanic living structure that I am looking at is asthetically sound. Given the nature of the site & estate layout, it will be discreetly located. The only issue neighbours might have is the additional parking pressures. Then again, its the developers and planning authorities themselves that are responsible for the lack of parking space in estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Best if you ask your local planning department.

1. I would imagine that you might not get planning and if you did it would only be a temporay permission for say 7 years.
    2. The planners arent stupid. What else would use a cabin in your back garden for.
    3. ?.

22k is an awful lot of money to spend if you have to get rid of the cabin...........

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Hi,

Got one in earlier this year from http://www.gardenrooms.ie/
    They are EXCELLENT.

Regarding planning, you most probably do not need it. If you have not previously extended you will be well below the permitted area. Also, unless your garden is the size of a stamp you will not break the rule about using over one third ( I think ) of your garden.

Anyway, they should be able to advise you.

Also, I suggest that you actively look at a few different companies . We were dead set on getting a Shomera but after going out to Gardenrooms we preferred them in the end.
    Plus, ask to see some that they have already installed .... you'll get honest feedback from other customers plus you'll pick up a few ideas from what others have done.

Also, we got insurance cover no problem .... there were some stipulations .. I can't remember them all .... must be alarmed, must not be in danger from nearby trees, heating must be electric and fixed to wall, etc ... nothing difficult. If your regular insurance refuse you there is a company who will cover the cabin seperately.

Finally, if you plan to get it plumbed up for water/waste ... do your research in advance ... the pipes may be directly under the cabin or the flow may not be in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You might not need planning permission for installation but you may need it if you plan to use it as a living space.

• Advertisement

damiand wrote:
    Best if you ask your local planning department.

I rang up the local planning office with a vague outline of my plans. They suggested that if the structure was greater than 25 sq. m. then I would probably need p.p. If it was to be used as a habitable structure, then I would definitely require planning permission.
    damiand wrote:
    The planners arent stupid. What else would use a cabin in your back garden for.
    22k is an awful lot of money to spend if you have to get rid of the cabin...........
    Agreed. Thats why I really want to do my homework before I go to talk to them at a pre-planning meeting. If there is a way to word it, then I need to find out as I am fairly sure that if I tell them straight up what I want and plan for it, it will be dismissed immediately. At the same time, my finances definitely dont run with being able (or reckless enough) to go ahead without the required planning.

@towger: Thanks for the link to gardenrooms.ie - will check them out.

What was the purpose of the structure you bought - was it as additional living space? What size is it?
    FX Meister wrote:
    You might not need planning permission for installation but you may need it if you plan to use it as a living space.
    If that is the case, I couldnt risk it. This is a purely economic move to remove the pressure my mortgage is having on me and put a good dent in it. If I was left paying for a structure that could only be used as an office or shed, then that would be a disaster.

Is there any way to get a fully functional living space into 25 sq. m. .....i think not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I've been in the same boat as you Sam. I had planned to build with brick though rather than put in a wooden structure. Keeping within the 25 sq M guideline but not getting permission for it. If it works out it's all good. If it doesn't then I'm left with a really sweet extra room in my garden. Good for occasional guests as well. As for size, I think you need to be creative with your space and don't expect it to be big.

FX Meister wrote:
    I've been in the same boat as you Sam. I had planned to build with brick though rather than put in a wooden structure. Keeping within the 25 sq M guideline but not getting permission for it. If it works out it's all good. If it doesn't then I'm left with a really sweet extra room in my garden. Good for occasional guests as well. As for size, I think you need to be creative with your space and don't expect it to be big.
    Whats your expectation of what you can fit into this living space FX? Would be interesting to have a breakdown of your layout.

@towger: Have spent a little time on the gardenrooms.ie website. Their prices seem to be expensive? Or is there room for negotiation on that front?

Is there any way to get a fully functional living space into 25 sq. m. .....i think not?

Try living in a (30m2, 3 bedroom) mobile home for a while ;)

Try living in a (30m2, 3 bedroom) mobile home for a while ;)
    3 bedroom:eek: - how does that work!?

• Advertisement

Hi, yes Garderooms are expensive, basically it is much better quality than Botanic living. Most expensive is Shomera. Really it depends on what you need it for and for how long you want it to last.

3 bedroom:eek: - how does that work!?

2nd and 3rd rooms are 2m x 1.8m each had 2 beds (I've taken one out), when you lie down in these rooms your head touches one wall and your feet the other:( , OK for the children. Our room is 2.5m x 2.5m you need to walk sideways round the bed...

If it wasn't for the fact I have to work I'd have the house finished by now:D

towger wrote:
    Hi, yes Garderooms are expensive, basically it is much better quality than Botanic living. Most expensive is Shomera. Really it depends on what you need it for and for how long you want it to last.

If I have a day free during the week, I'm going to call to them all and compare. Cash is very much an issue so I may well have to forego top quality. I will be looking to slap on the additional cost onto my mortgage and utilise it immediately so that I can free up another room and rent it out.

What size (sq. meter/ft.) is the unit you bought and what purpose did you utilise it for?

19 ft by 11ft ... used as playroom for the kids and also I use it on days I work from home.

Well, I checked out Botanic Living and whilst I found a unit that in principal matches my requirements, their pricing does not relate to prices mentioned on their website.

Having checkout the gardenrooms website, brochure & pricelist and having talked to one of their reps, I am beginning to form the opinion that they probably offer better value for money in terms of what you get. Will know for sure if I manage to visit them and check out some of their units soon.

Having said all that, all the irish suppliers appear to be way too expensive in relation to what you actually get for your money. I am in the process of establishing contact with some Baltic manufacturers of these chalets and I may very well take a cheapo ryanair flight out there this Autumn. Cut those prices in half and then purchasing would make a lot more sense.
    More than likely nobody heres gone down that particular avenue?

If you have the time and the talent to construct it yourself having sourced it in Latvia or whereever then fair play to you ..... unfortunately lack of talent on my part definitely required getting the whole job done end to end by professionals :rolleyes:

One thing .... if you do pop out to Gardenrooms their premises is just in the backyard of a house ... it might be offputting, but don't worry , if you go with them they'll do a great job. Also, when comparing prices look make sure you compare like with like ... in particular foundations, wiring, etc

Advertisement