Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sydney, Australia

• 26-08-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone in or going to Sydney in the near future? My current plans have me arriving sometime in late October or early November and since I'll probably be going by myself and don't know anyone I'll be in need of drinking buddies :D. So, if you'll be in the area and would be willing to meet up for a drink please let me know :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 keano10

I am recently back from Sydney and believe me you will have no troubles finding Irish & people from other countries in a similar situation as yourself travelling alone. Stay in some of the popular hostels when you first arrive and in no time you will be meeting people to drink / travel / live with etc.

Best of luck over there you will have a ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks keano, glad to hear that. Whats the cost of living like over there at the moment? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hopalong

Hi JohnK, I spent 4 weeks backpacking down the east coast alone in 1990. I covered Sydney, Melbourne, Perth before that and believe me you won't be on your own!!
    I returned last October under different circumstances (for a funeral) and it was just the same. The locals are great, the ex-pats are grand if thats what you want but the amount of others in the same boat is amazing.
    Enjoy,
    Hopalong

Thanks Hopalong its nice to hear good stories about the place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Head to County Coogee JohnK...you'll be in good company there!

• Advertisement

Thanks dSTAR :D. Coogee, thats the place with a long clif-top walk right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Thats the one.

Irish people seem to concentrate wherever there is a beach and good selection of watering holes, like Coogee in Sydney and St Kilda in Melbourne.

Make sure to keep posting on boards when you are in Sydney and if you make it down to Melbourne let me know and we will have a pot or two ;)

Good stuff! :D I plan on visiting a few cities while I'm over there so I'll definitely be in touch when Melbourne's turn comes around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Pm sent mate!

Ill be sydney, heading over to join my g/f and her mates. Sydney from xmas till feb, then melbourne for a few months then to the family in brisbane!! PINTS :D:D

Nice one!!!!! :D:D:D:D
    We'll have to get a Boards Beers Oz going! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Theres only 1 place for a beers, and thats the Welcome Hotel. Finest porter in sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DO NOT live in this place in Coogee :

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/desfeeney/Last%20Day%20in%20Sydney/?action=view&current=IMG_2451.jpg&refPage=20&imgAnch=imgAnch25

Such a kip. It's a street behind the place in the next picture called Vicar Street, and it is number 21. Plenty of irish in it, but kippy nonetheless. No Air-Con, and riddled with roaches.

But, you definitely have to drink in here :

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/desfeeney/Last%20Day%20in%20Sydney/?action=view&current=IMG_2458.jpg&refPage=20&imgAnch=imgAnch22

And, here's what Coogee looks like in the daytime.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/desfeeney/Last%20Day%20in%20Sydney/?action=view&current=IMG_2438.jpg&refPage=20&imgAnch=imgAnch34

Ah the memories, it'd be starting to get really nice in Sydney around about now.

Thanks seansouth :D. Any tips on finding a good place to live? Also, is it expensive to live there?

The Sydney Morning Herald on saturday mornings and Domain.com.au for accomodation listings.
    Most things, groceries, drink etc. are cheaper than at home. Accomodation obviously varies on the standard, but you are looking at rents comparable to dublin

Thanks pucan :). As long as the drink is cheaper then I should be ok :D. Dublin type rents could be a bit of a problem but sure I suppose thats what bank loans are for!

Well, did you make it over in one piece?

No, I've not made it over yet. My sisters getting married in December now and I'm hanging around for that so it's looking like January at this point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I hate when siblings get married at unconvenient times! My brother got married in August, so I couldn't go away for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Myself and a friend of mine are heading to melbourne in febuary,tickets are paid for im selling my car no turning back!I'm just wondering bout work,i work driving boats at the moment i have my skippers ticket but i want to get out of this kinda work,is it easy to get work out there and whats the pay like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Myself and a friend are in Sydney at the moment and will be here for the next few months.

Its great here.

Anyone know of any Australia forums like boards?

• Advertisement
Advertisement