Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting shooting -Rifle and coutlough questions

Options
  • 26-08-2006 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

I want to take up shooting and get a .22 rifle. I want to shoot birds, pigeons/crows/pheasants. .22 should do me rightly, yeah?

I was half thinking of joining courtlough, ive being up there a couple times. Membership is E250 i think, but what does that actually get you? Do you still have to pay everytime you go in?

My uncle`s farm is next door to where i live and we own all the fields around my house and the neighbouring farmer has all corn fields which are class for shooting and will let me shoot there so ive loads of land to shoot on.

The only awkward thing about my situation is that my folks wont let me keep a gun in the house. My uncle has a shotgun and rifle, would i be allowed to keep a gun thats in my name in his safe? i could probably talk the folks into letting me get a safe installed eventually.

So whats the best way to go about this, just get a letter signed saying ive landowners permission which i do and buy my rifle and leave it with my uncle or is it worth my while joining a club like courtlough at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Also, i heard talk of a shooting place opening in Ardee, anyone have any info on this?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Nuttzy wrote:
    I want to take up shooting and get a .22 rifle. I want to shoot birds, pigeons/crows/pheasants. .22 should do me rightly, yeah?

You would be better off with a shotgun if you're after that type of quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

you cant shoot pheasants with a rifle not to sure about pigions what other types of birds do you mean....

if tis birds you want get a shot gun as for the rest
    you could get licenced on your uncils guns alot easyer and cheaper

I was thinkin of a shotgun at first, but a rifle would be more fun i reckon. I want to be able to head down our fields in the evening and shoot crows out of trees, etc.
    Is the main difference in the rifle and shotgun regarding shooting birds, that with the shotgun you can shoot them in flight, whereas using a rifle i`d need to snipe them whilst roosting in the trees or resting on a fence post?

Why cant you shoot a pheasant with a rifle or do you mean a .22 wouldnt be big enough? Whats the next size rifle i could get, without going mad.

Maybe ill get my own rifle and get meself licensed on my uncles shotgun. Ive only sort of got into all this, dont have much experience with either at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The main difference in the rifle and shotgun regarding shooting birds would be that the shotgun pellets go a hundred yards or so and tend to stop in the birds, whereas the rifle bullet will often go through (or you could miss) and will then continue on for miles, and if they hit someone who's less than a mile away (for .22lr - it's much, much further for fullbore rifles), then they could kill that person.

Also, it's illegal to hunt game birds with rifles, last I checked. Not to mention it being considered so low amongst hunters that there have been libel cases taken by hunters against one another for saying that they did so.

If you've only just gotten into this, the best advice I can give is spend a lot more time asking questions than you'd spend in the shop buying the firearm! Here, in your local gun club, down the range. Any's good.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info, Sparks.
    So what are rifles used for, foxes and deer? I didnt think a .22 would kill a fox anyway humanely? Why is it considered "low" to kill a bird with a rifle, is it overkill or something?

Ive no interest in shooting foxes, i like them, maybe the odd rabbit but i couldnt really see myself shooting a rabbit either. I`d prefer to shoot dirty crows. :) Maybe i`d be best joining Courtlough and getting a gun off them taht i could leave up there and the neventually get my own safe, etc and bring my gun home when more used to it. I done the target shooting in courtlough though, and it gets boring after a while. Sure after 10mins, you dont miss cause its so easy. I was shooting the target birds, the 5 on the trap thingy placed at 25/50/75/100 yards i think it was.

i`d rather the fun of heading down my fields shooting real crows.

Rifles are used for target shooting and hunting game (as opposed to gamebirds and wildfowling) and vermin control for things like rabbits and foxes Nuttzy.

Not sure why it's considered low to shoot a bird with a rifle, just that it is.

And a .22lr wouldn't do a humane job on foxes unless you were fairly close in according to an earlier thread, but other .22 calibre rounds like .22 magnums, .22 hornets and the like would. Or so I've been told and read - I don't hunt myself, I just do target shooting.

If you don't miss after ten minutes, you might want to ask them to put you on an olympic trap to see how well you do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

a .22 would mainly be used for rabbits or target practice
    a .22 hornet or .223 would be good for foxs and u will need something stronger again(+deer stalking licence) for deer.

sounds like you will have to get a shotgun, under no circumstances should you fire a rifle into the air.

Nuttzy - I don't hunt (with guns) myself but I have many mates who do. I prefer fox hunting with hounds.

Hunting is not simply the act of buying a gun, going off and killing a few animals.

There is etiquette, tradition and above all, respect involved. Since I do not hunt with a gun, I do not know of the traditions and etiquette of the sport, but across the board, all hunters have respect for the game which they are hunting, and respect for the environment in which they hunt.

I would suggest, that you go and find some established and respected hunters; and let them explain the sport to you.

That’s my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Nuttzy wrote:
    I was thinkin of a shotgun at first, but a rifle would be more fun i reckon. I want to be able to head down our fields in the evening and shoot crows out of trees, etc.
    Is the main difference in the rifle and shotgun regarding shooting birds, that with the shotgun you can shoot them in flight, whereas using a rifle i`d need to snipe them whilst roosting in the trees or resting on a fence post?

Why cant you shoot a pheasant with a rifle or do you mean a .22 wouldnt be big enough? Whats the next size rifle i could get, without going mad.

Maybe ill get my own rifle and get meself licensed on my uncles shotgun. Ive only sort of got into all this, dont have much experience with either at all.

Eh i think you should have a chat with your uncle about shooting as your new, NEVER FIRE A RIFLE AT ANYTHING WITHOUT A BACKSTOP, EVER.
    you probably wont listen as you seem set on a rifle , but i think a shotgun would be more to your needs....... my 2cents anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

It is considered unsporting to shoot game birds with a rifle because its easy(ish) you can easily get within 50-60 yards of a duck/pheasant and shoot them no bother but you try creep up to within 10-20 yards with a shotgun and shoot them in flight. A pheasnt can accelerate like nothing else 0-40 in a few secs i think.

A rifle is used for stalking animals like rabbits where the skill is getting close to a rabbit and a well placed shot which is alot harder.

Basically if your out for sport you give the quarry all the advantages and try outsmart it which is harder than you might think.

You cant use a rifle to shoot birds out of trees or while they're moving (search for one of my threads i already asked:rolleyes: )

I dunno how competant your uncle is (no offence) but get him to bring you out and show you hows its done

If you've not much intrest in a shotgun theres not much sense in buying one of your uncle is willing to let you license his. If your looking for fun shooting with a rifle targets do get tiring you can try reactive targets like coke cans and chalk and the likes or rabbit shooting which believe me is brilliant fun if you know how to go about it. If your well practiced with your rifle you can have alot of fun with rabbit shooting without wanting to risk sounding sick and twisted but you can take headshots the whole time and watch them do backflips and the likes (this is totally humane rabbits are fully dead and its just the nerves reacting). Shooting crows with the rifle isnt as much fun as you think they're more fun to shoot with a shotgun

all hunters have respect for the game which they are hunting, and respect for the environment in which they hunt.
    Thats why you let your hounds rip the foxes to pieces then? Yes, very humane and respectful that is. Shooting foxes and stuff is 1 thing, they need to be controlled to an extent but it should be done humanely. Using dogs to hunt foxes is just knackery despite your nice words of tradition/respect/etiquette. Are you in the horse hunt then, i had to run them fooks off our land last year after they tresspassed on 2 of our pastures, they started to get snobby, but my other uncle (solicitor) wasnt long about removing them.

To the other posters, I reckon ill go the shotgun route as that does seem to suit my interest better. I can shoot birds in flight whilst having to get close which can be challenging i know. My uncle has his own clay trap machine so i could avail of that too. If i want a rifle then ill use his. Ill probably buy both eventually though.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Thats why you let your hounds rip the foxes to pieces then? Yes, very humane and respectful that is. Shooting foxes and stuff is 1 thing, they need to be controlled to an extent but it should be done humanely. Using dogs to hunt foxes is just knackery despite your nice words of tradition/respect/etiquette. Are you in the horse hunt then, i had to run them fooks off our land last year after they tresspassed on 2 of our pastures, they started to get snobby, but my other uncle (solicitor) wasnt long about removing them.

Whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Nuttzy wrote:
    I`d prefer to shoot dirty crows. :)

I have always had a problem with shooters degrading animals of any description, they all need our respect. If its edible I will eat it, if its vermin I control it.

I try to understand my quarry, the countryside and above all to practice gun safety.

I also spotted a bit of derogatory language regarding some Fox Hunters entering your land. I think in todays society everyone involved in country pursuits should stick together as we are all targetted by the ANTI's. Maybe you have a uninformed 'Class' issue with Fox Hunting, well I will inform you that it is practised here and in the UK by both Lords & Peasants.

I think you need to go off and get some education Nuzzy. The NARGC do courses in safety and game recognition.

would you be interested in an air rifle you have to get alot close and tis alot of fun you can take shots into trees while flying and it is cheaper too(depends on how built up your area is a pellet will travel nomore than 260yards but to be safe extend the range a bit say be 400 yards fromn the nearest undesirable target

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I have always had a problem with shooters degrading animals of any description, they all need our respect. If its edible I will eat it, if its vermin I control it.

Crows are dirty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

nutzy i dont know you and i dont want to criticise you but by the letters and replies you are writing i would say that you are too immature and un educated(in hunting and shooting) to be allowed to have any firearm, especially if you just want to kill birds and animals for fun, and anyone that wants to shoot birds out of a tree obviously has no idea of the dangers involved in any aspect of shooting.i know i probably sound a little old fashioned but i think people who are uneducated in this sport will lead to its ultimate banning, just read any of the english shooting magazines and see how much pressure that shooting is coming under from the antis. my advice is if your uncle is a keen hunter, then spend time going out with him and learn why we shoot, how to shoot, stalk, how to prepare any quarry you kill, and the guns that you use and most importantly SAFETY
    and when your uncle tells you that you are ready then you will know what gun you need for the land you are shooting and the game you are hunting and hopefully teach someone someday all that you have learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Very well put Moby10, You have hit the nail on the head perfectly.

Good Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Crows are dirty!!

while being one of the most intelligent creatures on the planet

Indeed.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    while being one of the most intelligent creatures on the planet

even smrter than most shooters

YIK

The crow and magpie are a formidable quarry.

This weekend I will attempt to shoot some magpies that are in a friends garden.

I look forward to the challenge. I have an electronic caller that works well on them and the 30ft/lb air rifle will be fully pumped.

I love air rifle shooting. It takes decent skill or knowledge of an animal to get in range with the air rilfe. It has to be an accurate shot to ensure a kill and it is silent so usually after the first shot you have not given yourself away and can enjoy another few shots before moving position. Decent ammo is dirt cheap. 15 euro for 500 pre washed and lubed rounds.

Its at this time of year when i really appreciate the sports of shooting and hunting

do those callers really work on magpies? i bought one for calling foxes but i had no luck with it. probably because it only cost €30.00. i have seen ones for nearly €200 but wonder are they worth it. i still dont think you can beat the mirror and piece of foam:p

moby10 wrote:
    do those callers really work on magpies? i bought one for calling foxes but i had no luck with it. probably because it only cost €30.00. i have seen ones for nearly €200 but wonder are they worth it. i still dont think you can beat the mirror and piece of foam:p

I have one of the 200 euro ones. It is amazing for crow and magpie. The first day I tried it out my back window and had to stop using it as the neighbours were coming out of their houses to see why there were so many crows in the air. It looked like a scene from Birds.

It is not good however for fox.

Will someone explain the technique for scraping the aero-board on glass. Do you start with a few quick rubs. Do you rub it as hard as you can. I have never used it so I'd like to see how it goes for me

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

moby10 wrote:

I have one of the €200 callers !
    It is brilliant, best hunting tool i every invested in as the 200+ magpies and grey crow I've shot this year alone will prove. I also have a second chip which holds 8 foxs calls which are better than standard chip calls.

The caller in question...
    (http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51)

bloody hell i must raid the piggy bank for one of those, in relation to the mirror and foam-i shoot a lot of rabbits on a couple of golf courses near by and one of them was having a problem with the foxes killing some ducks on the pond and even a signet so i got out the mirror and foam. i moisten the mirror and and try to mimic a rabbit squealing,(i rub it as gently as i can usually with one long squeal and a couple of short ones, and if i see him approach from a distance i go even more gentle as it seems to arouse his interest even more) its not as easy as it seems and takes a bit of getting used to-to get it right as it can sometimes frighten him away but i swear it is lethal if you get it right. i shot two big dog foxes within half an hour that night.thats my way anyway but i always love to hear of other methods.

it apears i can buy a gun in that store in galway over the net:L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

It is brilliant, best hunting tool i every invested in as the 200+ magpies and grey crow I've shot this year alone will prove. I also have a second chip which holds 8 foxs calls which are better than standard chip calls.

sounds like a good caller....do you know where/if i could download those calls from the internet...I think i would be able to make on using a cheap mp3 player (128mb for about E15...might even be able to scab one from some friends :D) I found some but i'm not sure if they are the same calls off that caller

I have a brilliant fox call...its homemade with just 2 bits of plastic and an elastic as the reed, we copied it from one we bought that broke...its savage tho because they love it and you can hold it in your teeth while you blow it and control the pitch with your teeth. Hands-free !!

you don't shoot gamebirds with a rifle because they are just that gamebirds... i would rarely even shoot a sitting duck.. I let a pheasant go one day because he sat on a tree 5yds from me and wouldn't fly away..Ballsy :D

spideog7 wrote:

you don't shoot gamebirds with a rifle because they are just that gamebirds... i would rarely even shoot a sitting duck.. I let a pheasant go one day because he sat on a tree 5yds from me and wouldn't fly away..Ballsy :D

who said that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

maglite wrote:
    it apears i can buy a gun in that store in galway over the net:L

You sure can !! About time an Irish dealer when online! :D

Advertisement