Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players you like

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'll go rooting around for the link where I saw that tomorrow, too tired now!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0954867823/026-0358801-2745225?v=glance&n=266239&v=glance

page 83 :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Not an autobiography though. ;)

But written by a fan, a mate has it atm i think not quite sure tbh, i get it for you at next trainig thing. Its a good read.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    But written by a fan, a mate has it atm i think not quite sure tbh, i get it for you at next trainig thing. Its a good read.

kdjac

Nice one. :D

It was debated in a thread on www.saintsforever.co.uk (I'm tryin to use their search but its absolutely poxy) and dozens of people were saying they knew for a fact it was 4 grand. I'm obviously only taking their word for it but they seemed to know a lot about it.

40k from Chelsea seems insane for back in those (dark pre-Abramovic) days don't you think??

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Nice one. :D

40k from Chelsea seems insane for back in those (dark pre-Abramovic) days don't you think??

Not really mid 90s some clubs were paying 50k for top players, le tiss being one of them was offered 40 by che in 97ish considering they were matching the olies salaries + more from italy its not that bad.

Utd being the stingiest and keane being the most vocal just made 50k seem mad money when they announced thats what he was getting/wanted. Others just stfu and took it.
    Weah was on 40 for his season with Che.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Hard to be offended by LeTissier.

David Unsworth is a top guy, not the best player but played his guts out for years and now sits in the stands and watches. Top peno taker as well, only missed one in his career that I can think of (against Newcastle in league cup, if memory serves)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

theCzar wrote:
    Hard to be offended by LeTissier.

David Unsworth is a top guy, not the best player but played his guts out for years and now sits in the stands and watches. Top peno taker as well, only missed one in his career that I can think of (against Newcastle in league cup, if memory serves)

Maybe we should get the opinion of Villa fans on David Unsworth. After all, they would know him best......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Xavi6 wrote:
    Maybe we should get the opinion of Villa fans on David Unsworth. After all, they would know him best......

lol, they never got the chance, that's the problem! Unsworth's family live in Liverpool, he went to Villa because he thought he could commute to Birmingham, but he gave it up after a few weeks and came home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

theCzar wrote:
    Top peno taker as well, only missed one in his career that I can think of (against Newcastle in league cup, if memory serves)

Not sure about that but I know he's scored a fair few pens against us and a few in normal play too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ha, okay maybe Fowler was a bad example...I still stand by my original point though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Karl Heinz Riedle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

theCzar wrote:
    David Unsworth is a top guy, not the best player but played his guts out for years and now sits in the stands and watches.
    Playing with Sheff Utd now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Cafu, at 37 he can still get up & down that right side like a 20 year old. He's a real credit to the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i like to see crouchy doing well,seems i honest and decent bloke,plus the fact england fans booed him in a friendly game i think which disgusted me

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

He's retired now, but you'd be hard pushed to find a Leeds fan with anything bad to say about Lucas Radebe. An absolutely immense player on the pitch and a true gentleman off it who has spent a lot of time working with children in South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Stephen O'Brien at Bohs.

Great keeper for such a small guy and a real character especially when playing in front of the Shed at the 'Cross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Tomassi, did he not play for the minimum wage allowed by the players unions in Italy? Something else alright!

Gone to a spanish team for 40k a week this year though, lol.

still, Legend.

el rabitos wrote:
    yeh, as PiE said, he took the smallest weekly wage he could possibly take in (afaik) an effort to prove his fitness after being pretty dogged with injury for a couple of years before hand. loyal to a penny

he was a great player in his day aswell, lost a bit since maybe 2002 or so, but for a few years there tomassi was probably the best defencive midfielder in italy. he joined levante there in the summer i think. good move for him.

kezman
    Savićević
    boban
    r.baggio
    maldini
    Leonardo

...to name a few

He was actually offered 20k a week by roma, but told the fans he would pay for free to prove this love for the club and his grattuide for them standing by him through his injury, but because of union laws had to take 750 a week or something.

kinaldo wrote:
    also Fernando Redondo -I believe he refused to accept his wages after he signed for AC Milan and was ruled out almost straight away for 2 years. Incredible player at Real Madrid, genuine world class.

Best Defensive midfeilder of the last 10 years, amazing class!

was a handy sub for a year when he came back aswell.

His comeback game was Bobans testimonial in Zagreb, was Rivaldos first official outing with the club aswell, he (Rivaldo) was injured so went onto pitch on crutches, took the kick off and walked off.

tdv wrote:
    Cafu, at 37 he can still get up & down that right side like a 20 year old. He's a real credit to the game

Thats Milan Lab for ya, Billy and Paolo are still in thie prime aswell!

• Advertisement

Redondo - Just amazing.

Maldini - Best left back ever, top 3 centre backs ever, God.

Seba Rossi - Nutter!

Boban - Sublime

Savićević - Monster

Shevchenko - I'm a Milan fan, I'm law bound to love him.

Shay Given - as the german manager said "If I was to draw up a list of the worlds top 3 'keepers, Given would certainly be in that list".

Duff - When he plays like he likes to play he is a joy

Kaka - I beleive he is the worlds best play maker, my opinion.

Gattauso - No explination required!

Nesta - The worls best centre back since the age of 21!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Luca Toni
    Ryan Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Maldini
    Rooney (why has no one mentioned him - excitement personified)
    Cristiano Lucarelli

The entire Utd teal from 1992 - 93

Favourite players of all time 1. Gabriel Batistuta
    2. Hristo Stoichkov
    3. Paul McGrath

Football isn't a sport of characters anymore. I would be hesitant to pick a single player who i would say has something worthy of being liked. Footballers these days all talk, look and play in the same production line manner. They may be better players but most of them have zero charisma.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

seansouth wrote:
    Joseph Ndo. Classiest player in the eL

Besides Paddy McCourt obviously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

KdjaCL wrote:
    Tomassi was not getting a contract unless he did that, ryan giggs plays well when its contract time.

apparently you're wrong http://www.adnkronos.com/Speciali/P_Pm/En/tommasi.html
    KdjaCL wrote:
    i could pick holes in all those players but lets be honest there is no honesty in football, bullard left for more money.

you dont know it all,
    you may believe you do,
    what makes you think bullard didnt just want to play for a club in london??
    im sure theres any amount of reasons he could of left.

for me,
    Bergkamp
    Zola
    Cantona
    Le tissier
    Romario
    Fowler
    Barnes
    Beardsley

were legends, way more too but not asrsed goin on and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The same Robbie Fowler who was being paid by two clubs at once?

The same Robbie Fowler who grew up a die-hard Evertonian?

Cynical? Nah!

No-ones asking players to refuse free money, that'd be stupid. I'd take any extra money my boss wants to give me.

Theres been plenty of players who grew up supporting a club but grew to love another, a great example is everton supporters playing fopr liverpool over the last 30 years.(Rush, Fowler,Carra)

I personally belive Robbie to be an honest guy.I like to think he was honest and up front in his book and have great respect for him. He talks about wanting to come back to liverpool a lot in it as he feels he has unfinished business with the fans and club. He was forced out against his will by Houllier (I've heard Reknapp say the same on tv) but never held it against the club. He has a genuine love for the club and turned downa move to everton as a scoolboy (why not go to his favourite boyhood club?)

He , like Carra, seems genuinely greatfull to liverpool and willing to give 100%. I honestly cant remember a game where either of them honestly plodded around the pitch just not giving a crap. Something which cant be said for a lot of others, Steven Gerrard included.

I can honestly say that Robbie and Carra are my two favourite players and probably the only two I have genuine respect for.There are a few other I feel put the effort in week in week out aswell.Steve Finnan for example. Much as I dotn like to admit it, Gary Neville is another who will always give 100%. His obvious hatred of Liverpool is much more through adeep rooted love for Utd than just not being fond of a work competitor or rival company. There are others , but I'd be here all night.

KdjaCL wrote:
    heh heh so why didnt he take a pay cut when he left his beloved Leeds?

When did he use any words of endearment for leeds or any club outside of Liverpool (not includsing supporting Everton as a kid) He has said he never wanted to leave Liverpool and never wanted to play for Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Gary Doherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Stephen O'Brien at Bohs.

Great keeper for such a small guy and a real character especially when playing in front of the Shed at the 'Cross.

Besides giving fans the finger at every opportunity, well 3 times anyway.

Tony O'Connor for Bohs is the one that stands out for me along with Larsson and Irwin.

Kdjac, how about Osam? Would have thought he fitted the profile, still there doing a good job with the 21s aswell, not to mention Charles Mbazi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

LeTissier
    Sheringham
    Maldini
    sherear
    Larson
    Giggs
    Dennis Irwin
    Steven Gerrard
    Hagi
    Stoichkov
    Henry
    Schevchenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Roberto Mancini was another favourite of mine, very solid and consistent player. Remember him from his Sampdoria days. Don't think he played for Itay too often though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ruu wrote:
    I always liked Rubén Sosa (Lazio, Inter Milan and Uruguay I think), very determined and a level headed player.

He knocked a goalkeeper out with a free kick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

With my Hammers hat on:
    Trevor Brooking - God-like genius
    Billy Bonds - played the game hard and didn't complain when he got it back!
    Steve Potts - commitment personified ( a 5' 8" centre-back!)
    George Parris - another Mr 100%

Swapping for my general footie fans hat:
    Le Tiss
    Lineker
    Sheringham - even before he came to WHU
    Les Ferdinand
    John Robertson - late '70s at Forest
    Tony Currie - late '70s/early '80s at Leeds

Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Paul Scholes, Solskjaer and Eidur Gudjohnson. Everyone else already been mentioned(but Solskjaer deserves another mention because he rules so much). Just players I admired on the pitch and never heard about them off the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Gary Doherty

Gary Doherty is one down to earth fella. Been out a few times with him in Norwich and he's one person who'd take time out to talk to fans etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Luca Toni
    Ryan Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Maldini
    Rooney (why has no one mentioned him - excitement personified)
    Cristiano Lucarelli

The entire Utd teal from 1992 - 93

Favourite players of all time 1. Gabriel Batistuta
    2. Hristo Stoichkov
    3. Paul McGrath

Football isn't a sport of characters anymore. I would be hesitant to pick a single player who i would say has something worthy of being liked. Footballers these days all talk, look and play in the same production line manner. They may be better players but most of them have zero charisma.

Why bother repling to the thread then , thats what it is about

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Stil going with Le Tiss as the only true legend of a club, he asked for a transfer when he was 20 due to his agent but sacked him the sewason after and stayed on 20kish wages forever.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Le Tiss was on 4k a week, I shít you not.
    From 95 to the end he was on 20k according to his book Chelsea offered 40k but he turned it down :eek:
    Not an autobiography though. ;)
    But written by a fan
    It was debated in a thread on www.saintsforever.co.uk (I'm tryin to use their search but its absolutely poxy) and dozens of people were saying they knew for a fact it was 4 grand. I'm obviously only taking their word for it but they seemed to know a lot about it.

Not really mid 90s some clubs were paying 50k for top players, le tiss being one of them was offered 40 by che in 97ish considering they were matching the olies salaries + more from italy its not that bad.

Utd being the stingiest and keane being the most vocal just made 50k seem mad money when they announced thats what he was getting/wanted. Others just stfu and took it.
    Weah was on 40 for his season with Che.

For closure...

attachment.php?attachmentid=100304&stc=1&d=1262209885

attachment.php?attachmentid=100305&stc=1&d=1262209950

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Teddy Sheringham
    Ryan Giggs
    Paolo Di Canio
    Gianfranco Zola
    Alessandro Del Piero
    Xabi Alonso
    Shay Given
    Michael Owen (even when he was at pool)
    Jason MacAteer (for that goal against Holland)
    Scott Parker
    Ruud Gullitt (going back a bit I know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Teddy Sheringham
    Ryan Giggs
    Paolo Di Canio
    Gianfranco Zola
    Alessandro Del Piero
    Xabi Alonso
    Shay Given
    Michael Owen (even when he was at pool)
    Jason MacAteer (for that goal against Holland)
    Scott Parker
    Ruud Gullitt (going back a bit I know)
    + Denis Irwin
    Lineker
    Gazza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For closure...

attachment.php?attachmentid=100304&stc=1&d=1262209885

attachment.php?attachmentid=100305&stc=1&d=1262209950

:)
    Thanks for that, we were all wondering when you'd get back to us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

james milner... for inventing football, sliced bread and the earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Jimmy Bullard FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Didier Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Ian Taylor - Played brilliantly for villa for years, and can now be found in the stands watching matches with the fans.
    Solskjaer
    Agbonlahor - Seems to have a great attitude and constantly trying to improve his game
    Given

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Jimmy Bullard. How could ya not like this fella?
    Micheal Essien
    Kun Aguero
    Messi
    Gattuso
    Pirlo
    Pato
    Zola
    Vialli (naturally enough)
    Fat Ronaldo
    Davids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

darren-bent-624689877.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ESSIEN

essien.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

essien.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

1. Samir Nasri
    2. Hernan Crespo
    3. Thierry Henry (Legend)
    4. Paddy Viera
    5. Tony Adams
    6. Martin Keown
    7. Freddie ljungberg
    8. Jimmy Bulard
    8. Sylvain Wiltord
    9. Robbert Pires
    10. Dennis Bergkamp
    11. Jens Lehmann :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pigman II wrote: »
    In this era of agents, publicists and player greed I thought it'd be interesting to compile a list of players who have managed to stay on the straight and narrow and do all their talking on the pitch without becoming assholes off it.

This is the thread where you can list the players you think are genuinely decent people (so I guess/hope no one will be mentioning Gazza, Best, Collymore, Rooney etc here)

What makes a decent person? George Best seemed like a decent person - afflicted by alcoholism & depression - but not a bad soul. And he's not of "this era of agents, publicists & player greed". Neither really, were Gazza & Collymore. You could hardly call them assholes either. It's not like they murdered anyone, committed crimes against humanity or destroyed life as we know it.

They may have been courted by the press or courted them in equal or unequal measures, but who cares? They were all talented & flawed people. And people like to read about successful & trainwrecked people in equal and or unequal measures.

Again.. what makes a decent person? Up until a few weeks back, Tiger Woods was the "perfect" role model for a "decent, straight & narrow" sportsperson, who did his talking on the field. Apparently his balls were also landing off the course.. somewhere outside the woods, so to speak. But so what? Where do you draw the line at "decency"? And furthermore, how do you gauge it & how do you know that your gauges have not been breached?

Daft idea.

But if you must... King Eric. How more decent can you get than to kung-foo a racist, english, fat pr*ck in the face, then shake it off to the press with a throwaway comment about seagulls, then leave what was a PLC, at the time, because they made him into a doll / Man U brand-ite?

How decent is anything?

Decent schemeecent.

Westlife are "decent". But they are also very, very boring, my dear.

Let's have a poll for the Daniel O'Donnell of football instead. Just to liven things up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

What makes a decent person? Best seemed like a decent person - afflicted by alcoholism & depression - but not a bad soul. And he's not of "this era of agents, publicists & player greed". Neither really were Gazza & Collymore. You could hardly call them assholes either. It's not like they murdered anyone, committed crimes against humanity or destroyed life as we know it.

Again.. what makes a decent person? Up until a few weeks back, Tiger Woods was the "perfect" role model for a "decent, straight & narrow" sportsperson, who did his talking on the field, but apparently his balls were landing off the course. Somewhere outside the woods, so to speak. But so what? Where do you draw the line at "decency"? And futhermore, how do you gauge it & how do you know that your gauges have not been breached?

Daft idea.

But if you must... King Eric. How more decent can you get than to kung-foo a racist, english, fat pr*ck in the face, then shake it off to the press with a throwaway comment about seagulls, then leave what was a PLC, at the time, because they made him into a doll / Man U brand-ite?

How decent is anything?

Decent schemeecent.

Westlife are "decent". But they are also very, very boring, my dear.
    He might not get back to you soon. Wrote that 2 years ago and is banned. Just don't keep clicking refresh, waste of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement