Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players you like

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Neither really, were Gazza & Collymore. You could hardly call them assholes either.

Collymore used to beat his lass, he's certainly not 'a decent person' in any way, shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Collymore used to beat his lass,

He also used to beat his lad on the dogging scene.. neither acts are highly regarded in society, but that doesn't mean he's not a nice person at heart. ;)

CHD wrote: »
    Just don't keep clicking refresh, waste of time.

? I just clicked into the soccer forum?!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Robbie Savage and yer oul one

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What makes a decent person? George Best seemed like a decent person - afflicted by alcoholism & depression - but not a bad soul. And he's not of "this era of agents, publicists & player greed". Neither really, were Gazza & Collymore. You could hardly call them assholes either. It's not like they murdered anyone, committed crimes against humanity or destroyed life as we know it.

They may have been courted by the press or courted them in equal or unequal measures, but who cares? They were all talented & flawed people. And people like to read about successful & trainwrecked people in equal and or unequal measures.

Again.. what makes a decent person? Up until a few weeks back, Tiger Woods was the "perfect" role model for a "decent, straight & narrow" sportsperson, who did his talking on the field. Apparently his balls were also landing off the course.. somewhere outside the woods, so to speak. But so what? Where do you draw the line at "decency"? And furthermore, how do you gauge it & how do you know that your gauges have not been breached?

Daft idea.

But if you must... King Eric. How more decent can you get than to kung-foo a racist, english, fat pr*ck in the face, then shake it off to the press with a throwaway comment about seagulls, then leave what was a PLC, at the time, because they made him into a doll / Man U brand-ite?

How decent is anything?

Decent schemeecent.

Westlife are "decent". But they are also very, very boring, my dear.

Let's have a poll for the Daniel O'Donnell of football instead. Just to liven things up.

There's so much wrong with this post. The three players you named have all been convicted of spousal abuse (over a period of time). Something which no matter what you might say definitely puts them in the 'not decent' category. If you need a yard stick for what is and is not decent, here it is simplified animaniacs style: Good idea - not beating your wife. Bad idea - beating your wife.

And Eric Cantona did not leave united due to a doll. This is just a downright stupid thing to say. Almost as stupid as the first part of your post.

Players i like:

Scholes
    Ole
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    El Diego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Steven 'Superman' Ireland
    Shaun 'The Goat' Goater
    Georgi 'Kinky' Kinkladze
    Craig 'Bellers' Bellamy

and not least -
    Jimmy 'The Legend' Bullard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ha ha epic bumpage is epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Riquelme
    Cafu
    Juninho
    Costacurta
    Maldini
    O'Shea
    Serginho
    Giggs

Players I like....

Being a Utd fan & biased to f*ck..

1. Bestie (pure rock n'roll)
    2. Cantona (posing genius)
    3. Keane (leg / heartbreaking genius)

All "decent" chaps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Loads of players I like who seem to be nice people.

Fernando Torres being at the top of the list.

• Advertisement

Holsten wrote: »

Savage striker too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Maldini
    Weah
    Boban
    Costacurta
    Kaka
    Ronaldo (the real one)
    Shevchenko
    Inzaghi
    Leonardo
    Serginho
    Maurizio Ganz
    Fernando Redondo
    Rod De Khors
    Andy Meyler
    Conor Frawley
    Adrian Carburry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Arjan De Zeeuw

Always a very dependable player, seemed like a gent on and off the pitch and a model professional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Holsten wrote: »

yeah right, hes sly and prone to leaving the odd elbow or foot in as well as constant whinging to refs and waving imaginary cards to get players booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kida wrote: »
    yeah right, hes sly and prone to leaving the odd elbow or foot in as well as constant whinging to refs and waving imaginary cards to get players booked.

...way to get into the spirit of the thread...

...now, back to players we like and spousal abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Deegan - you'll be missed.

3 in a row here we come

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ...way to get into the spirit of the thread...

...now, back to players we like and spousal abuse.

Truth can be hard to take - similar feelings were made by pool fans in the pool thread - good player he might be but hes not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I think this thread shows that a player can really change with age. From the 2006 posters Rooney comes in for a bit of harsh treatment, but I think he's shown himself to be a really decent guy over the past few years.

Also for those saying crouchy, I think he's just happy he's not a virgin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kida wrote: »
    Truth can be hard to take - similar feelings were made by pool fans in the pool thread - good player he might be but hes not nice.

Oh, I dont like his moaning and whinging which he does at times when he gets frustrated on the pitch, but come on, does that mean he's not a nice guy?! Absolutely every single thing i've ever seen from him off the pitch has had him come off in a fantastically good light. Every interview, every story you hear about him putting time in at Alder hey hospital, everything he's done for folks back home - everything points to him being a pretty nice, down to earth guy.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Oh, I dont like his moaning and whinging which he does at times when he gets frustrated on the pitch, but come on, does that mean he's not a nice guy?! Absolutely every single thing i've ever seen from him off the pitch has had him come off in a fantastically good light. Every interview, every story you hear about him putting time in at Alder hey hospital, everything he's done for folks back home - everything points to him being a pretty nice, down to earth guy.

fair enough - my points all refer to his behavior on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rekop dog wrote: »
    From the 2006 posters Rooney comes in for a bit of harsh treatment, but I think he's shown himself to be a really decent guy over the past few years.

Apart from the diving.

http://vodpod.com/watch/2686033-wayne-rooney-dives-vs-aston-villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Players who I often view as good role-models and seem to be decent, 'nice' guys:

-Paolo Maldini
    -Gianfranco Zola
    -Roberto diMatteo
    -Ole Gunnar Solskjær
    -Gary Pallister
    -Nicolas Anelka
    -Pavel Nedvěd
    -Kaka
    -Andriy Shevchenko
    -Andrei Arshavin
    -Petr Cech
    -Brad Friedel
    -Peter Crouch
    -Fernando Torres
    -Xavi Hernandez
    -Lionel Messi
    -Shay Given
    -Michael Essien

And then, there are a few players who I like and in a twisted way admire, for being the rebels of the game, the ones unafraid to show a violent passion and do whatever it takes to win. Victory at all costs, who dares wins, kind of stuff. The bad boys of football. (Or that's the excuse these violent headcases use). That or they can be just nasty people, but I still like them.

-Marco Materazzi (The Darth Vader to Shevchenko's Luke Skywalker....)
    -Jens Lehmann
    -Roy Keane
    -Dennis Wise
    -Ron Harris
    -Claudio Gentile
    -Ashley Cole
    -Harald Schumacher
    -Cyril Rool
    -Kevin Muscat
    -Patrick Blondeau
    -Vinnie Jones
    -Paul Gascoigne (the best footballer England ever produced???)
    -Oliver Kahn

And of course, my all time favourite: Diego Armando Maradona. Overweight, on cocaine, drinking etc.... and still as good a player as there is ever likely to be.

Advertisement