Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sat Navs?

• 26-08-2006 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone uses these. I've been in a few taxis where he uses one and they do seem quite handy. Is there much use in them if you arent using them for commercial use? I got lost last night, going way off track so was thinking that that could have been avoided with a sat nav.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i uses one and it excellent

mine is onle a basic model and im waiting for the update to be active
    they are handy but not essential,if you do a fair bit of driving around to different locations every week then they are a worthwhile investment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'll say what I always say. Get a Goodmans gnav10 off ebay. You can get them for around 120gbp and they have full street level mapping of Western Europe, and very user friendly too. Best value for money by miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭skibum

zuutroy wrote:
    I'll say what I always say. Get a Goodmans gnav10 off ebay. You can get them for around 120gbp and they have full street level mapping of Western Europe, and very user friendly too. Best value for money by miles.
    I see from another thread you are a taxi driver, from your experience how good / accurate is the gnav10 in dublin and surrounding areas?
    Thanks.

It's very good. Uses NAVTEQ maps that are maybe 2 years old. It's pretty much as good as that map-book you often see in taxis. Notable omissions are Stephens Green is not updated with the new flow direction. The bridge over the train tracks at coolmine is not there. Some newer apartments aren't listed.
    As far as I know NAVTEQ are the best maps. The points of interest database is excellent. Loads of hotels/restaurants/golf courses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Navteq have ireland finished since a couple of months back ,so depending on the manufacturer of the unit you have ,the updates should be available in a couple of months.
    I use a becker traffic assist ,the navteq maps are great.

• Advertisement

From what I can see the GNAV10 isn't that update friendly, but I could be wrong. I got it because it was by far the cheapest unit with full Euro mapping and I'm moving to Belgium in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Someone I know won one of these in an amusements in Bray. Not sure how good it is, but it's an mp3 player and everything. He spent maybe €30 trying to win it and says it's probably worth about €300. He then told his brothers and dad about it. Altogether they won 5 of them and they have never been put back into the machine since so the amusements must have lost a fair bit on them 5:o

Advertisement