Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NYPD Police car?

• 26-08-2006 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I saw an NYPD police car at a junction in Bray the other day, anyone else seen it about? It seemed to have all the markings on it, with "NYPD POLICE" written along the side. It was like this one as far as I remember.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Did you see what plates were on it, ie. was it irish reg'd?
    The pic you have there is a chevrolet caprice - there was a plain white one of those doing the rounds in Cork a few years back and then a white one appeared less than a year ago on eBay in the UK still sporting the plate 91 C xxxx :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Probably out in Ardmore studios for filming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

John R wrote:
    Probably out in Ardmore studios for filming.

Thats what I was thinking. Although I would have thought it was illegal to "impersonate" a police car on public roads. Although maybe because it was American. Nope, didnt see the reg plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Seen one like this (I think, closest I could find!) along the canal in Dublin before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another very cheapo movie then!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭samo

There's a guy who has a company in Dublin that supplies classic American cars for film and TV. He has a fleet of NYC taxi's and other old classic cars, I dealt with once in a travel agents I was working in when there was a film being done around OConnel st some years back and he pulled up outside in a NYC taxi!!

Would put money on it it could be something to do with him and for film being done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Cianos wrote:
    Thats what I was thinking. Although I would have thought it was illegal to "impersonate" a police car on public roads. Although maybe because it was American. Nope, didnt see the reg plates.

In the UK there are many classic ex-UK police cars in private ownership (in police colours) which are driven on public roads ....albeit in car rallies or to shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Saw it on the N4 beside Liffey Valley headin inbound with all it's lights flashin sittin in stop-start traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

I saw ford torino today done up as starsky and hutch's car. looked class. It was in tallaght...... Fighting crime in jobstown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

There is at least one doing the rounds of the classic car shows. It was at the show in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Cianos wrote:

I don't know if there is a specific law about cars but impersonating an officer is a serious offence.

Even the most stupid would have to put effort into mistaking that for a Garda car though.

There are a few security companies around that have Mondeos and similar done up to look very like official Garda cars, they ought to be done for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

well having a car looking like a garda car isnt actualy considered "impersonating" as far as i can remember. you can have all the stickers you want on the car as long as your not trying to tell people you are a garda, i.e. if your in the car and sumbody asks "Are you a guard" and you say no, well your not realy impersonating are ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Saw it today in Donnybrook / Leeson Street. It had markings and names on it in memory of NYPD officers killed in Duty and a US Number to call for a reward for information. It had UK plates.

I was driving behind it for a while.

Advertisement