Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mage talent spec

Options
  • 26-08-2006 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

right so I've recently started a new mage character on laughing skull (horde) and I'm nearly at lvl 30...

and I'm starting to think about how I want to spend my talent points for later on in the game...

I'm thinking of going frost/arcane...could someone who's got a high level mage please recommend a decent end game frost/arcane mage spec?

ktnxbai

Nic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

This is my soon to be PvP build for Frost/Arcane

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Rdxxb0foZZVVGhobth

Arcane (21 points)

2/2 Arcane Subtlety
    1/5 Arcane Focus
    5/5 Improved Arcane Missiles
    5/5 Magic Absorption
    2/2 Magic Attunement
    2/2 Improved Counterspell
    3/3 Arcane Meditation
    1/1 Presence of Mind

Fire (0 points)

None

Frost (30 points)

5/5 Improved Frostbolt
    5/5 Ice Shards
    3/3 Frostbite
    2/2 Improved Frost Nova
    3/3 Permafrost
    1/1 Cold Snap
    2/2 Arctic Reach
    5/5 Shatter
    1/1 Ice Block
    3/3 Improved Cone of Cold

For PvE (level grinding) you can mix it up a little by dropping some of the more PvP centric Arcane talents and getting clearcasting.

But the simple fact is, Arcane is pretty weak for leveling up :(

Any frost or fire build would work well for xping its really all about where you put the rest of the talent points, afterwards ;)

[edit]
    Something like this would probably be more suited for leveling up, go with the frost tree first as Ice Barrier is a very nice tool for xp'ing with, basically granting you an extra 600 hps and the ability to cast while taking damage (though thats not really a factor)
    [/edit]
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=kZVgMzbcZVVGcoft0o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ripcat

arcane/Frost spec for more survability.
    Arcane/Fire if ur grouped a lot
    Combustion Fire Spec rocks in some high end instances.`(http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/mage/talents.html?2300550000020000505202002303305100300000000000000) my current spec

Overall i'd prefer arcane/frost if i was levelling up again as its good in both PVE and PVP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm sorry, arcane is just crap for xping. Its great for high end PvE where mana conservation is more important than pure raw dps but those occassions are rare enough to not make it worthwhile...

I hate to say it, but arcane is gimped.
    The reason I have it for my PvP spec is that PoM is just unreal in PvP. Any other occassion, its just unnecessary.

By arcane/frost, i mean similar to what u posted before, just a matter of terminaology. I levelled to 60 on "arcane/fire" and switched to "arcane/frost" for pvp then changed back to combustion spec for AQ and Naxx, altho it does suck a bit for BWL and MC but I rarely do MC on my mage anymore. I'll post some specs when i get into work and have some time to spare ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

Pure Elemental PvE Endgame Build

I am Elemental 30/21 Fire Frost. Only taking the pure PvE Raiding Talents. So, no Shatter / Frozen Targets etc as high end raid mobs are immune to these effects.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/mage/talents.html?0000000000000000505202002303305005350003102101000

I have no OOM problems as with a 30% crit rate I get 9% mana refund from MoE, which is nearly equivalent to the benefits from Clearcasting......and only takes 3 not 5 points.

This Build offers the same dps from Frostbolts as any Frostie, while giving you all the dmg from Fire, plus all the talents needed to light up those mobs with your rolling ignites ^^

You can leech any Winter's Chill effects when using Frost .

Of course you have a straight choice between Ice Block and Combustion, I like the safety of IB for when those Ignites get a bit too big :) ...........and have a plenty high enought crit rate to make Comsbustion not truly beneficial.

• Advertisement

The rolling ignites are really a killer for moages. 3723 max ignite on standard mobs so far. Instant aggro if it happenes too soon in a fight. My guild has 5 combustion spec'd mages on our normal raids and its a fair bet that they die a lot ;)
    Only realy boss I have problems with mana on is Cthun as its a resonably long assed fight. A few pots are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

10k ignites on chromaggus last night, then resisted the time lapse.

combat res me plx!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

oh and ignite.jpg is my best ignite so far on a normal mob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

arcane (10) / frost(the rest) here on a level 52 mage (human) - i love being a frost mage :)
    was in western plaguelands the other day when I was 51 with a level 51 fire mage - we simply couldn't, be, touched! frightening :)

Advertisement