Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs Vs Everton

Options
  • 26-08-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Very poor display by our lads. Jenas was awful .. davids cant pass. No creativity anywhere in the side. They lads didnt play with any hunger and passion. Jol is going to have to have a big rethink about his tactics and team selection. Losing to Bolton and Everton is unacceptable if we are going to consider a top5 finish. I just hope this is a poor start and we are going to turn things around very soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Very very poor, didn't create a decent chance all game - best was Defoe's wayward shot at the end - and that's against 10 men for the majority of the game. Like you say if it goes on like this any longer we're in serious trouble if we want top 4/5. United at Old Trafford looks like coming at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

pathetic.

good old spurs. get our hopes up and then rape us up the arse.

its times like this i hate being a spurs supporter.

we should be 9 for 9 points by now. i can already feel my excitment for the season diminishing.
    another 2 weeks, and i can see myself not even bothering to check the scores on a saturday.
    another month, and i wont care for a another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Yep ...the rollercoaster ride of being a spurs supporter has taken the first dip ... our next match is Man U away ... so we don't have long to put things right. The transfer deadline closes Thursday and it seems like Downing may join. He will hopefully give a little more balance on the left and so we can get more crosses in from both flanks for the strikers.

But, even more than that we could do with Ledley being fit and back in the team..he seems to be a calm source for all around him. Hopefully Jol will kick Jenas and the rest up the arse to get them firing ... i'm not giving up yet..seasons still young and we are 2 points ahead of Arsenal ... so not totally gloomy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Playboy wrote:
    Losing to Bolton and Everton is unacceptable if we are going to consider a top5 finish. I just hope this is a poor start and we are going to turn things around very soon.

I'm not too worried yet. It is a poor start, and puts Tuesday into perspective (Sheff Utd are very poor), but remember Newcastle managed to finish 7th last season with an awful start, and Wigan in 10th despite a brilliant start.

Some things have to change though. We don't have a decent backup for Ledley King, Dawson is too young to take the leadership role (much like King was when rSol packed his bags) so the CB pairing won't work regardless of whether he plays alongside Snoop or Davenport.

Davids should be finished, he's just not good enough. All hustle and bustle, but if thats all we wanted why didn't we keep Mickey Brown? Much more honest. Midfield should be Zokora and Jenas in the centre, or Zokora and Huddlestone, with Lennon and Tainio as our wide players. Failing the signing of a LM, I'd give serious consideration to Keane on the left, with Defoe and Berbatov up top. At the moment, Keane is functioning as our playmaker, he's caught between the midfield and forward line, and we lose a goalscoring threat in the process. Look at pre-season...no goals for Keane, and his only contribution since the season started has been his involvement in the buildup to our two goals on Tuesday night. Effectively, with him in the lineup we play 4-4-1-1, and Berbatov can't do it all on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

we missed carrick today horribly. we have to get a creative cm asap to partner zokora who i am sure will replace davids for the next game. or maybe teach jenas consistancy, he was a class act on tuesday, ignoring the goal which was well taken, but today he was nothing. though he did play right back for the last 30mins.

i agree about keane, perhaps a shot at the left side, we dont need a winger as such becuase lennon offers us so much width on the right that keane and play inside a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Well Murphy's a creative CM and hasn't been given a full chance but it doesn't look like he's anywhere near the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Well Murphy's a creative CM and hasn't been given a full chance but it doesn't look like he's anywhere near the side.

Come on are you serious? Were looking to break into top four do you think Murphy could cut the mustard? Robbinson called it right when he said selling carrick was a step backwards and selling him to a top four club was a big mistake(although I dont agree with the outburst at this stage). When we look at the team now can we really say we have strengthened from last season? Zokora is surely a step backwards, ekkotto looks far from convincing, we badly need cover for lennon(davenport was very poor yesterday). Berbatov is a positive and we'll surely get a left mf before the deadline(although atm it doesnt look like it will be downing with boro acting like children saying they want Lennon to somehow get back at us:confused: ) but it was a huge blow not getting Duffer. If we had of keeping carrick and signing duff I feel we would have been close to challenging for the league!(think about it, why not?). Now I feel we'll be lucky to retain 5th spot.

Babybing wrote:
    When we look at the team now can we really say we have strengthened from last season?

Frankly, yes we have. Results aside, three in and one out was good business. I don't buy the argument that we're missing Carrick and thats why we're underperforming, he was a great player for us but he'd have made f*ck all difference against Bolton or Everton. Both sides outfought us, plain and simple.
    Babybing wrote:
    Zokora is surely a step backwards, ekkotto looks far from convincing

Think you're so wrong on both of those. Ekotto is a huge improvement on Lee at LB, was very solid against Sheff Utd, but their poor show aside I think he's got what it takes. Zokora should be starting, end of. Jenas and Davids have been rubbish in the centre.

Our problem is shape, and to a lesser extent attutude. Jenas's concentration is appaling, he's a liability at the moment. We need a LW asap, and we need to decide whether Keane is a striker or a playmaker. As it is he'll fall between two stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Imo our problem lies in midfield. We have no player willing to take the responsibility of taking the ball from the defence like Carrick did and distributing it. Maybe Zokora can do it but Davids and Jenas certainly cant. We also have the same problem as last season that we have only width down one side of the pitch which makes us predictable and puts too much pressure on Lennon who is being man marked out of games. Also a problem we had last season is a quality attacking midfielder who is going to create chances in the final third and deliver a killer ball. At the moment Keane is dropping deep to do this with only partial success against the weaker sides aka Sheff Utd. We could also do with better cover at right back and centre back as Dawson and Davenport dont look good enough. We rely on King too much in our defence.

So we have had a whole transfer window to solve the problems at RB, CB, LW, AM and Levy and Commoli have not managed to get the players we needed. This I am pissed off at. They knew the problem areas at the end of last season but have done nothing about it. According to Jol Zokora is a replacement for Carrick but he leaves him on the bench .. why? I can only hope that we are going to pull about 3 rabbits out of the hat at the last minute of the transfer window or we are going to really struggle to repeat our league position this season. We should not be waiting this late in the transfer window to sign players .. they should be settled in our side by now. 2 defeats this early in the season has affected our morale with Robbo mouthing off in the press about Carrick, and Davids having a bust up in the dressing room with Zokora and a couple of other players. Lets pray we can turn this around. I cant remember the last time I was as optimistic about a season as this one with spurs and now it looks like it could go down the tubes once again. Oh the joy of being a Spurs supporter ... I'm starting to think that I am a masochist

If the Davids bust up rumour is to be believed then he needs to be shown the door. I'm all for players wearing their hearts on their sleeves,but if he ain't got the performance to back it up then its empty words.

I'm more worried by the possibility of dischord than I am in the performances TBH, don't want to see us a shambles like the end of the Hoddle era. Jol needs to lay the law down NOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

persoanlly, id have huddlestone and tainio in centre of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I do think we need to do something with the midfield, and Huddlestone and Tainio are as good a pairing as any. But for some reason players like Hudd and Ghaly don't seem to get a look in... We will have to see what the transfer deadline brings us...if anything

Advertisement