Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock problem 7600GT??

Options
  • 26-08-2006 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I just bought an ASUS GeForce 7600GT (fan cooled edition) and I have to say it's a brilliant step up from my 7300GS(waste of silicon, well in gaming respects).

I found it was sluggish at default clocks of 560(core) and 1400(memory) so i used smart ASUS doctor to overclock it, it worked great at 592core and 1492mem but around 2 or 3 days later i tried 2 load up fraps and my pc froze, i thoght nutin of it and restarted but the same happend. But i notived coloured dots on the sreen they were bareley noticable, jus a few coloured 1's, it also happend in games. So i guessed it was my graphics card. Powered off and set default frequencies (ASUS smart doctor comes up after u login) i then loaded fraps no problem and other games. i set the core to 586 and had no issues and tyen memory to 1444, all safe. bu it happend again so lowered mem to 1424 and safe since

if i go any higher tings get wonky again, is there a problem wit the memory or is this just the max overclock i'm jus wonderin cos it took a while to happen?

SPECS: P4 LGA 775 3.0GHZ, 1GB Ram, Dunno wat mobo cos it came with the system:(, it's a 945p dats all i know, 305W PSU, 250GB HD, 7600GT

i'm not botherd really as this gives me a 15-17fps increase in NFS most wanted and a 7-10fps increase in call of duty 2both at 1280*1024 and high detailed DX9 for COD2. both easily playable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Thats more then likey the maximum speed for it. All you can do to better it is to get a better cooler on it, and add some ram heat sinks. and ensure you have good air flow passing over it.

I would also upgrade that psu too, its underpowered. especially if you plan to upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shortie989

ye i agree i'm worried about the PSU cos it's jus enuf 2 get by on, i was jus surprised cos it took so long for the pc 2 crash after the overclock, well at least even with the minimal overclock i get a 10Fps boost so its pretty gud anyway. :D

I'm thinkin of buildin a PC dis year(it would b my first 1 to build), the 1 i hav at the moe is a dell dimension 5100, but i want my own creation cos u no evrytin bout it and can do wat u want with it.

I was thinkin bout a AMD64 X2 4600+ Socket 939, DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert, but i'm unsure about RAM and hav to decide on a power supply,

RAM is confusing wit all the PC8000, PC4200 i jus dunno which is gud, i'm lukin around the 120-150 price range but with gud performance (1GB) too and it has 2 b DDR cos of the proccessor.

4 a psu 500W is o.k or shud i go higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tell us your full budget & you'll get plenty of help :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

update your signature as well ;) - 500W will do you grand.
    Tell us your full budget & you'll get plenty of help

exactly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shortie989

I'm not sure really nothing 2 high cos i justgot my 1st job(I'm 15 so it's harder 2 get cash!:D ).

prob around €800 giv or take.

I'll need a gud mobo cos thats realy the foundations i'm not sure wether 2 get a core 2 duo or the AMD i mentioned earlier they both cost the same (the spec of core 2 duo and ehe athlon64X2) but i hear the core proccessor LGA 775 is real gud even the lower end 1's. Or shud i go So AM2 wit Amd?

dis is the core 2 duo: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322632

and this is the Athlon 64 X2: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309863

as 4 mobo's i heard the ASUS P5B deluxe is a good LGA 775

and the DFI lanparty UT NF4 SLI DR-expert is gud for So 939

then comes the horrible RAM issue, i can luk at so many with low latencies etc but 1 cud b 70euro and the other 150.

I hav a GFX card so thats o.k

• Advertisement
Advertisement