Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver in a Skyline...WTF?

Options
  • 26-08-2006 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Motoring along the new Ashbourne bypass today I spotted a white 97D Skyline...with L plates!!!

I mean, WTF?

Am I being an old crusty by suggesting that a Skyline isn't exactly the most apropriate car for a learner driver?

Anyway, I passed our friend out and proceeded to keep to an even 120kpm/h. Ten minutes later chummy whizzes past me at what looked like 160kpm/h with a 95D Honda Accord up his behind.

Madness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In fairness, he seems to have figured out the going fast bit. the rest might follow....
    skylineyd2.jpg
    (then again, maybe not.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Perhaps the L plate wasn't there for the drivers benefit.

Perhaps the L plate wasn't there for the drivers benefit.
    (I don't get it)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote:
    (I don't get it)

Neither do I. Someone who drives it must be a learner!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

L could of standed for Langer

• Advertisement

L could of standed for Langer

Langer? Munster expression??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Am I being an old crusty by suggesting that a Skyline isn't exactly the most apropriate car for a learner driver?
    Your not being an old crusty but are you thick that you cant figure out that displaying l plates doesnt mean he or anyone driving the car is a learner. It means 1 of the divers of it is on a provisional licence, could be driving 5yrs or more and be on a provisional, would that be a learner to you. :rolleyes: Say hes on a provisional for the past 3yrs and has his l plates up, then does his test tomorrow and passes, takes L plates off, is he a better/worse driver the day after tomorrow??:rolleyes:

Whats your point anyway, jealous you cant afford 1? I noticed you mention the other cars on the road but didnt say what your driving, POS is it?

A Skyline is an unusual learner car. It may not belong to the learner and it may have been the only car available to them (although the cost of insurance alone for a provisional driver would surely buy another car plus insurance) . Anyone doing 160kmph should be criticised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nuttzy wrote:
    could be driving 5yrs or more and be on a provisional, would that be a learner to you. :rolleyes:
    Yes. The definition of a learner driver is someone who hasn't passed their driving test yet.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Whats your point anyway, jealous you cant afford 1? I noticed you mention the other cars on the road but didnt say what your driving, POS is it?
    I'm driving an 04 BWM 320 on a full licence that I qualified for in 1994, accident and conviction free on a full 5 years NCB.

Now get yours out, since you want to turn this into a pissing contest.

Well im half your age, but my dad has a 330D. I have a Honda 450 quad though and a nice civic coupe. :) Oh, yeah and we`ve land.

Whats a BWM?
    Do you live in a housing estate?
    Yes. The definition of a learner driver is someone who hasn't passed their driving test yet.
    So your 1 of them ever increasing politically correct spas, thought so. An l plate doesnt mean hes "learning" it more than likely means hes probably more than capable of driving his car.If you used your common sense you`d have understood that but common sense is rare in people these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

And we have land Stupidest quote of the year award goes to Nuttzy.

Nuttzy wrote:
    An l plate doesnt mean hes "learning" it more than likely means hes probably more than capable of driving his car.

I'm pretty sure L plates are used by learners

Thanks, ill pick up my award at a later date.

Nuttzy wrote:
    So your 1 of them ever increasing politically correct spas, thought so. An l plate doesnt mean hes "learning" it more than likely means hes probably more than capable of driving his car.If you used your common sense you`d have understood that but common sense is rare in people these days.
    You've kinda given away the game that you're on a Provisional licence yourself and probably well under 25.

Provisional licences mean nothing. I can be a complete danger to life and limb and still be on my 5th Provisional licence. You might as well argue that hundred of hours playing GTA gives you driver skills.

In an ideal world, Provisional Licence holders would only be allowed out with a driving instructor and we'd have enough Driving Testers to ensure a waiting list of a few days. That's the way it works in most of mainland Europe.

This being Ireland though, we have learner drivers bunting around in Skylines and one of the highest rates of road deaths in Europe.

P.S. Kudos to yer Da for having both a 330D and land.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Motoring along the new Ashbourne bypass today I spotted a white 97D Skyline...with L plates!!!

I mean, WTF?

Boy racer. A "sensible car in which to learn the ropes" is fairly low on their list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Nuttzy wrote:
    Oh, yeah and we`ve land.

Do you live in a housing estate?

Whats up with you, Nuttzy?

I'm just amazed that the driver could get insurance, even a tame Skyline is nigh on impossible to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe he's a named driver in daddy's car.

Nuttzy wrote:
    then does his test tomorrow and passes, takes L plates off, is he a better/worse driver the day after tomorrow?

It means that he has proven that he has reached the required standard. I don't see your difficulty with this. Take the leaving certificate examination as an example. A student who has not sat/passed the LC may be a lot smarter that a student who has. However try telling that to a prospective employer/college. A doctor who has not passed his finals cannot call himself a doctor yet he may be more competent than one who has. Yet he will not be allowed to practise until he passes.

I can be a complete danger to life and limb and still be on my 5th Provisional licence.
    Would you agree that you could be an equal danger to life and limb and have a full license? Thats all my point was.

Ps:Im 22 and have got my full licence on the 3rd try but am not ignorant enough to assume an L plate displayed means the driver or 1 of the drivers is literally "learning to drive". You make it sound as if you were half expecting the skyline to be bunnyhopping around the roads.

• Advertisement

Nuttzy wrote:
    You make it sound as if you were half expecting the skyline to be bunnyhopping around the roads.
    It was.

But now I'm intrigued! How much land does Daddy own? Where's it situated? Have ye a quota? Does he let you race your quad on it and bother the cattle?

until you get your full license and proven you can drive, you are a learner. (some types insist that you never stop being a learner)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm just amazed that the driver could get insurance, even a tame Skyline is nigh on impossible to cover.

Too true,hard enough insuring a skybus with a full licence and some ncb never mind as just a learner,id say it cost a right wedge to do.Then again if you can use a skyline as a daily driver you should have no problems paying big money for insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

It was.

But now I'm intrigued! How much land does Daddy own? Where's it situated? Have ye a quota? Does he let you race your quad on it and bother the cattle?

And does he have a lake for his jetskis??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nuttzy, still winning friends and influencing people.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nuttzy wrote:
    Well im half your age, but my dad has a 330D. Oh, yeah and we`ve land.

lol at the we have land. Your dad has land, you have fcuk all apart from a quad and a civic coupe :rolleyes: I presume you still live at home with your parents too since you boast about their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mloc123 wrote:
    lol at the we have land. Your dad has land, you have fcuk all apart from a quad and a civic coupe :rolleyes:

And don't forget he is the proud owner of a Provisional License too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I mean, WTF?

Anyway, I passed our friend out and proceeded to keep to an even 120kpm/h. Ten minutes later chummy whizzes past me at what looked like 160kpm/h with a 95D Honda Accord up his behind.

Madness.

So?

you want a skyline? ...off you go!
    you want to drive at 160kmh?..be my guest!

whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

This thread didnt start with the definition of a learner. Besides, if he can get insurance (XS Direct), pays his tax, then there is nothing to whinge about, he can legally drive what he wants. Now obviously in this case he was allegedly speeding which is a different matter.

Also, its unlikely he started in the Skyline now isnt it? One day, waiting lists for tests will be measured in days, but till then, guess Ireland has a "unique" road makeup.. :D

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

eireal wrote:
    Then again if you can use a skyline as a daily driver you should have no problems paying big money for insurance

You should be more specific. I drive a 2.5 nero straight six every day, non turbo and it cost less to run each day than my wifes 2.0 v6 maxima. I dont understand what you have based your facts on. Is it your experence of skylines or your thoughts on people who drive them. For the record I wouldnt say we had no problems getting insurance on it but we did and I probably would have saved harder if it was more expensive.

Advertisement