Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver in a Skyline...WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Is your car gold by any chance?
    I base it on expierence of a Gtst,with on a good day 20mpg.The car could have done with its own petrol pump in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Maybe the car belongs to a full licenced driver and a learner is also insured on it as a named driver. It doesn't really matter, people can drive whatever car they want.
    Why do people think that learners should drive a 1L car???
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Less powerful cars are easier to control when you're learning the basics of how to handle a car. They're also statistically less likely to be in an accident.

I think once you have the basics of car handling though then engine size becomes less of a factor in how easy it is to drive the car. That's probably what Nuttzy was trying to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sullivk wrote:
    It doesn't really matter, people can drive whatever car they want.
    Why do people think that learners should drive a 1L car???
    :confused:
    Is does really matter, we have one of the highest rates of road deaths in Europe.

I don't think learners should drive a 1L car...I think learners shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel at all unless accompanied by a driving instructor (as is the case in France and Germany).

I really couldn't give a stuff if he's on his millionth provisional licence, if it's really his dad's car, etc etc. A Japanese supercar is not the appropriate choice of bus for the learner IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

the cars engine might be a small one ,or maybe taxed that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

It would've been really difficult to get insured on it, I was quoted a grand to go named driver on my sisters 1L Micra, and couldn't get a named driver on my dads MR2 G-Limited

The more I think about, being a boy racer, the chances are he wasn't insured at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

theres no way the driver (if it was a learner driving at the time) ,wasn't insured.
    You can be guaranteed the reason the L signs are on the car is because the guards have stopped the car without the L signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Stark wrote:
    The more I think about, being a boy racer, the chances are he wasn't insured at all.

Read my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eireal wrote:
    Too true,hard enough insuring a skybus with a full licence and some ncb never mind as just a learner,id say it cost a right wedge to do.Then again if you can use a skyline as a daily driver you should have no problems paying big money for insurance
    A well known scam by the "Daddy has land" brigade is to tell the insurance company that the skyline has a towbar, and thus insuring it under farm insurance. FBD will do this, for one.

Of course, these morons don't realise that the disc on their windscreen is only fit for wiping their arses with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Doing driving lesson's in navan a few year back and the next pupil after me turned up in a porshe 911. Needless to say she got out of the porshe and into the instructors yaris.

According to the instructor it was the pupil's hubby's car. He is in the car business.

Still though I don't think I'd be handing over the keys of my beloved porshe to a learner.... Would love to have seen the testers face if she turned up and did the test in the 911!

Shows how messed up the system is that a person can learn to drive in a 911 or skyline!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

eireal wrote:
    Is your car gold by any chance?
    I base it on expierence of a Gtst,with on a good day 20mpg.The car could have done with its own petrol pump in the garden

No its not gold.

That might be true of your Gtst, I didnt say it was economical but its cheaper to run than the Maxima.

Fact.

Stark wrote:

Thats assuming he indeed was a boy and not a man, as Dublinwriter did not specify an age group. Why do people see a Skyline and figure boy racer.

Stark have you never taken your car past 120k if you did it in a skyline would that make you a boy racer?

What a great imagination you have. Think about it a bit more.

Well I'm under 25 and I reckon if I was driving at 160km/h in a white skyline which my buddy riding up my ass in a Honda Accord, I probably would fit the definition of a boy racer ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm pretty sure L plates are used by learners
    and quite often, their parents!

They need to make the easy peel ones more available. I was surprised to find out how hard they are to come by. The adhesive ones are completely pointless except for long-term provisional licence holders with their own cars which is very common but not exactly in keeping with the spirit of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I wish I had a Skyline when I was learning to drive. No harm in a learner using a Skyline as long as they have had an appropriate number of lessons and a fully licenced driver with them while driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wish I had a Skyline when I was learning to drive.
    I had a 998cc Metro :D
    No harm in a learner using a Skyline as long as they have had an appropriate number of lessons and a fully licenced driver with them while driving it.
    This is Ireland - how often is that going to happen?

All this misses the point imho - far too many Irish drivers are unsafe at any speed, so their choice of car is hardly relevant.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stark wrote:
    Maybe he's a named driver in daddy's car.

Maybe the driver just put L-plates up because he know some a$$hole on boards.ie would start a thread about it, knowing it would evolve into a war?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

seamus wrote:
    A well known scam by the "Daddy has land" brigade is to tell the insurance company that the skyline has a towbar, and thus insuring it under farm insurance. FBD will do this, for one.

Of course, these morons don't realise that the disc on their windscreen is only fit for wiping their arses with.

Never heard that one before!

It'd be a strange sight seeing a skyline with a hitch on it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

comanche wrote:
    Doing driving lesson's in navan a few year back and the next pupil after me turned up in a porshe 911. Needless to say she got out of the porshe and into the instructors yaris.

According to the instructor it was the pupil's hubby's car. He is in the car business.

Still though I don't think I'd be handing over the keys of my beloved porshe to a learner.... Would love to have seen the testers face if she turned up and did the test in the 911!

Shows how messed up the system is that a person can learn to drive in a 911 or skyline!

ermmm my 37 year old missus recently did her test in an S320, tester was very surprised, then again that thing drives itself. She's now on her 4th provisional and bottles' it everytime in the testing situation, next time she's promised to arrive about 1 min before the test, do the exam, out for the drive then back, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

My mates dad is 45 and drives a Subaru, has been on his provisional for years and pays €1000.

Could be an older driver behind the wheel.

Stark wrote:
    Well I'm under 25 and I reckon if I was driving at 160km/h in a white skyline which my buddy riding up my ass in a Honda Accord, I probably would fit the definition of a boy racer ;)

Lets assume? he was under 25 and also lets assume his speed was 160k and not say 140k or a bit less, also lets assume he was overtaking a slower driver no disrespect dublin writer, and lets also assume the man driving the honda was doing likewise. Would he still be a boy racer?

Fill in the blanks dublinwriter and take us away from assumptions.

Its always the same starts off with a comment about a fast car being driven fast and ends up. BOY RACER DID THIS...

Throw the first stone those of you who have never broken the speed limit to overtake a bad driver, If you dare.

Im not saying he wasn't/ isn't a "BOY RACER" im just wondering why u guys assume he is with out all the facts

Lets start a new thread "Man shot in his car in Finglas" lets see how long it is before somebody makes him a drug dealer.

Assumptions are the mother of all .... cant remember the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eireal wrote:
    Never heard that one before!

It'd be a strange sight seeing a skyline with a hitch on it too!
    Well, they don't get a hitch fitted, that's the key. It invalidates their insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

You cant assume the driver is a prov driver just because there are L plates up. the driver could have a named driver who is a learner. I often drive
    my wifes car which has L plates up and im sure people often just assume im the learner and therefore usually feel the need to pass me regardless of my speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Chonker wrote:
    Assumptions are the mother of all .... cant remember the rest

Generally id agree,
    But in all fairness its a reasnable assumption...

I mean if it was a focus with blacked out windows, full bodykit and an exhaust you could loose a basketball in speeding down the motorway id have more doubt that it was a boy racer. But a Skyline?

A Skyline is the holy grail and wet dream of most boy racers all rolled into one.
    You can buy an online kit specifically designed to bring a stock skyline to 1000bhp (or so they claim).

The car is imported just because of its outragous acceleration and speed...
    Its not exactly what youd call a practical car or a runabout to get mom down the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm just amazed that the driver could get insurance, even a tame Skyline is nigh on impossible to cover.

Yis wont believe this but here goes.
    Just built a house and most if not all of the guys working there were under 25 from what I seen for the year there was on the street M3 (insured as a 316) Integra Type R (insured as normal integra) Civic Type R (insured as a 1.4) Supra dodgy insurance disk from a corolla.
    I couldnt get it trough to them that non of their cars are insured and they could well end up in jail if they hit anyone and anything happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

bennyc wrote:
    Yis wont believe this but here goes.
    Just built a house and most if not all of the guys working there were under 25 from what I seen for the year there was on the street M3 (insured as a 316) Integra Type R (insured as normal integra) Civic Type R (insured as a 1.4) Supra dodgy insurance disk from a corolla.
    I couldnt get it trough to them that non of their cars are insured and they could well end up in jail if they hit anyone and anything happened.

How did you know what each of them was insured as? Or that they weren't just kitted as an M3 or type r's?

Wazdakka wrote:
    Generally id agree,
    But in all fairness its a reasnable assumption...

I mean if it was a focus with blacked out windows, full bodykit and an exhaust you could loose a basketball in speeding down the motorway id have more doubt that it was a boy racer. But a Skyline?

A Skyline is the holy grail and wet dream of most boy racers all rolled into one.
    You can buy an online kit specifically designed to bring a stock skyline to 1000bhp (or so they claim).

The car is imported just because of its outragous acceleration and speed...
    Its not exactly what youd call a practical car or a runabout to get mom down the shops.

Wazdakka nissan make more types of skyline than the gtr or the petrol guzzling single turbo's

A skyline Gtr is the holy grail, the others are just wannabes mine included.
    My car was imported because I looks amazing and yep its fast enough for most people, and guess what compaired to my wifes Maxima or some Bmw's, Mercs, Petrol jeeps, people carriers its very practical.

All I'm saying is lets not generalise.

So trust me its not a reasonable assumption. Not all skyline drivers are boy racers infact I would bet the house most are not.

That online kit you mentioned for a stock Skyline??????
    Exactly what in your opinion is a "Stock Skyline"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Chonker wrote:
    Lets assume? he was under 25 and also lets assume his speed was 160k and not say 140k or a bit less, also lets assume he was overtaking a slower driver no disrespect dublin writer, and lets also assume the man driving the honda was doing likewise. Would he still be a boy racer?

Fill in the blanks dublinwriter and take us away from assumptions.

Its always the same starts off with a comment about a fast car being driven fast and ends up. BOY RACER DID THIS...

I can see you'd fail a driving test based on lack of observation alone. I never said the driver was a 'boy racer', I asked is a Skyline an appropriate vehicle for a learner driver to be driving. I never made reference to the age of the driver either.

You can assume away yourself. I know what I observed. The road wasn't busy. I was doing 120 kmp/h. He shot by at around 160 kmp/h with an equally stupid Civic up his arse.

Advertisement