Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver in a Skyline...WTF?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

JohnCleary wrote:
    Maybe the driver just put L-plates up because he know some a$$hole on boards.ie would start a thread about it, knowing it would evolve into a war?!
    Well, at least I'm asshole enough to ask questions about the crazy learner driver system we have in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chonker wrote:
    That online kit you mentioned for a stock Skyline??????
    Exactly what in your opinion is a "Stock Skyline"

A stock R34 GT-R.
    Google is your friend

I agree with it not being a "traditional" learner car but if the nice gentleman in question can afford the insurance and running costs then I have no problem with what he drives as long as he doesn't act the muppet and kill someone else while he is killing himself.
    Being, brutally honest, he could go out and buy a bike and get himself some proper power and speed.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

95D Honda Accord up his behind.
    I can see you'd fail a driving test based on lack of observation alone.
    Civic up his arse.

Speaking of observation, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I can see you'd fail a driving test based on lack of observation alone. I never said the driver was a 'boy racer', I asked is a Skyline an appropriate vehicle for a learner driver to be driving. I never made reference to the age of the driver either.

You can assume away yourself. I know what I observed. The road wasn't busy. I was doing 120 kmp/h. He shot by at around 160 kmp/h with an equally stupid Civic up his arse.

Observations observations observations..... You are not so observant your self pal.

I was writing to the guys who were assuming all kinds of things based on your post. I was at no stage suggesting you said he was a boy racer. But I did ask you to make clear what you seen to the guessers on the thread.

Dont you read your own thread dude. Not everything is about you!!:D

By the thats a fail for your observation. Im very observant. Very!

Lets get the facts people, read then quote I hate dummys.

mloc123 wrote:
    Speaking of observation, lol

Thats funny I guess they do look alike, you know the big H and all.

I wonder was it even a Skyline.

www.specsavers.ie

These guys can help Dub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Chonker wrote:
    Thats funny I wonder was it even a Skyline.

It was probably and Almera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Chonker wrote:
    A skyline Gtr is the holy grail, the others are just wannabes mine included.

Yup read up a bit and your right.
    someone in work thought he was a car buff and posted in my name while i was gettin a cup of afternoon caffine.
    only just saw it now.

Wazdakka wrote:
    Yup read up a bit and your right.
    someone in work thought he was a car buff and posted in my name while i was gettin a cup of afternoon caffine.
    only just saw it now.

No probs...

Remember guys dont assume were all boy racers because we drive fast(ish!) type or modified cars past you. Some of us are happy family men living our dream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

This being Ireland though, we have learner drivers bunting around in Skylines and one of the highest rates of road deaths in Europe.

ah yes but it isn't the provisionals having the most lethal accidents it's fully licenses drivers , your man from the RSA was on newstalk the other day giving facts and figures was vert interesting to hear alot of whats usually trumped out basically rubbished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Sorry, Im still laughing at the 'we have land' quote! Put that man forward for an award!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Fey! wrote:
    How did you know what each of them was insured as? Or that they weren't just kitted as an M3 or type r's?

We had a conversation in the house one of the days and one had just recieved his new cert. Then I was told "how to get a car insured":eek:

I drove the trpe r's and the supra and they are the real deal. But in fairness I couldnt vouch for the M3 but no reason to belive its not the 2.9 as they all stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Is does really matter, we have one of the highest rates of road deaths in Europe.

I don't think learners should drive a 1L car...I think learners shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel at all unless accompanied by a driving instructor (as is the case in France and Germany).

I agree
    I really couldn't give a stuff if he's on his millionth provisional licence, if it's really his dad's car, etc etc. A Japanese supercar is not the appropriate choice of bus for the learner IMHO.

I think you are assuming too much. Could be someone with a licence in another country waiting to get their Irish test. Could be anything. However, the law allows a provisional to drive anything they want. I don't agree with it either. But since they don't enforce the current provisional laws, what difference does it make. If they enforced the no driving on your own, it would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Right young male driver be he named or proposer of policy IS paying an exorborant amount on his insurance. Do you really think he is going to act the fool with his car, crash and end up doubling his policy? Look at any crash involving "boy-racers" and what you see is fiestas and starlets and other 1l pieces of horse manure weighed down with neon lights and body kits twice the width of the car! Anybody driving a skyline appreciates there car and has obviously saved hard to be able to afford to dish out such money on insurance. Ask anybody who is into cars would they consider a "pimped" out starlet or a skyline more of a boy racer and you can be guranteed to get the same response from all!
    Also how can you tell that he was driving at 100 miles per hour? Had you some way to guage his speed? Were you able to sight him againt a sign or land mark you knew was exact distance and had a stopwatch primed and ready to time him? If you were travelling as you say at 75mph and he was travelling at 100 that would mean he was overtaking you at the rate of 1.1m/sec so did it take him under 3 seconds to completly pass your car out?

Before you ask I am a 19 year old male with a full licence. Learned to drive on my parents cars which were a 1.6 mazda 323 and a 1.9hdi Peugot 406. I'm now buying a BMW 318 C for myself which is going to cost the bones of €3k to insure so I know for a fact, like my friends with high powered cars, that I will be minding it like a child and that if i am driving it fast that i am both capable to do so and that the road is suitable to do so.

Signpost - all cars can be crashed regardless of how much they cost.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭insane drummer

im a lerner driver and only on the road about a month, just turned 17 in july and im driving a 520i bmw. its my dads car and he has me insured in it through his company untill we get my own car sorted out, but i have the L plates up on the bmw the whole time. so maby the person in the skyline wasnt actualy a main user of the car, maby they just took it every now and again. but yea ur right, if it was his car, it is kinda weird to see that with a provisional, but if he can afford it, y not, but the fact that he was going at 160k seams to baffle me. there would already be allot of attention being drawn to him because of the fact that theres L plates on a skyline, but let him do what he wants as long as he dosnt put anyone else in danger

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

can be - just because they are high powered and usually ownded by car enthuasists doesnt mean there is some divine right of god pulling them towards the ditches. Anyone who appreciates their car and has a working knowledge of it will no its capabilites and mind it. I know full well that my mazda wasnt good for more than 70mph where as the peugot was able for 110mph safely under the righ t conditions. it was very rare i would drive at these speeds and everything would want to be right but given the circumstances that is the max i would take them to, not that they would go but that they would be taken to. Like all my friends we value our lives and our cars and know their capabilities. After all speed signs arent targets there recommendations for what the council deem the road fit to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fey! wrote:
    How did you know what each of them was insured as? Or that they weren't just kitted as an M3 or type r's?
    The people who do this kind of thing are so lacking in mental faculty that they tend to tell all and sundry and expect to proclaimed heroes for "beating the system". I've talked to plenty in my time. One day they'll be saying it to a friend of a friend without realising that they're detailing multiple crimes to a Garda.

Odd the the stats would suggest theres is a divine attraction. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Source please.

what exactly is the most crashed car in Ireland???

• Advertisement

Neither one of those sources says anything about what brand of cars are involved.

So you are wrong to say just because it is a skyline it is more likely to be crashed based on those sources

What i'd like to see is the number of, lets say, all toyota corollas registered in Ireland versus the number of registered toyota corollas that are involved in accidents every year, or honda civic or skyline or SUV.

Or out of all the cars involved in accidents which one is involved the most

Vegeta wrote:
    So you are wrong to say just because it is a skyline it is more likely to be crashed based on those sources...

Are you reading a different thread m8? Where did I say that? :D

Vegeta wrote:
    What i'd like to see is the number of, lets say, all toyota corollas registered in Ireland versus the number of registered toyota corollas that are involved in accidents every year, or honda civic or skyline or SUV.

Or out of all the cars involved in accidents which one is involved the most

It would have to be the % crashed out of the total cars of that type to make any sense.

Ever try to find a straight used performance car that has never been prnaged. Lot harder than finding a straight non performance car. Thats just coincidence obviously. :rolleyes: I dunno what you are arguing about. The primary reason for buying a Skyline is its performance. You don't buy it to carry the kids around and do the weekly shop.

Signpost says
    just because they are high powered and usually ownded by car enthuasists doesnt mean there is some divine right of god pulling them towards the ditches

then you say that the statistics say otherwise

That's where you said it!!

you specically said high power cars are more likely to be crashed.

I asked for statistics from a reliable source.

You quoted sources which don't have anything to do with high powered cars being crashed.

I am not disputing anything buddy I asked you for a source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Would anyone object to all learner drivers being restricted to cars of 1000cc/1200cc or less?

Yes it is stirring the pot but I cannot see a logical reason why a learner would need any more than that.

I am of the mindset that if the road speed limits are 120kph, then why are road cars not restricted to 130kph.

And to add my 2cents, I don't think that the insurance company should allow an L plate driver be put on anything which might even be considered high performance (yes, I said might even be considered) regardless of whether it was on company insurance, farm insurance or daddy's insurance.

Vegeta wrote:
    Signpost says

then you say that the statistics say otherwise

That's where you said it!!

you specically said high power cars are more likely to be crashed.

I asked for statistics from a reliable source.

You quoted sources which don't have anything to do with high powered cars being crashed.

I am not disputing anything buddy I asked you for a source

I must be going blind, I can't see Skyline in that anywhere :D

Actually I didn't specially say anything specific. My comment was a general response in context of all those gone before it re: learner/young/inexperience drivers having crashes, usually having lost control of a car, despite people claiming that being an enthusiast or paying more for a car in someway keeps you out of a ditch.

Whereas the stats suggest thats precise the age group likely to have an accident, and the stats suggest a ditch is most likely where they end up! I thought that was ironic. Learner/Young enthusiast drivers in performance cars are a subset of that, not excepted from it.

I don't see the point in trying to prove that drivers under 20yrs in lime screen skylines with a 1000hp engine mod are a tiny % of the overall accident rate. I'm sure grannies with purple cushions on the back window are a lot lower. :D

The primary reason for buying a Skyline is its performance. You don't buy it to carry the kids around and do the weekly shop.

Thats just not true. Your being general.

I thought you guys knew about cars.

I did not buy my car for its performance, so please be more specific.

Did you mean to say... The primary reason for buying a turbo, or Gtr Skyline is for its performance..... maybe then you might be correct.

I do the weekly shopping and carry the kid around in my Beautiful R34.

You may not be blind Tempest, but you are also not correct.

I must be going blind, I can't see Skyline in that anywhere :D

Weird neither do I...yet its at the top of every page how odd. Maybe just maybe a skyline is powerful car and the subject of this thread
    Actually I didn't specially say anything specific. My comment was a general response in context of all those gone before it re: learner/young/inexperience drivers having crashes, usually having lost control of a car, despite people claiming that being an enthusiast or paying more for a car in someway keeps you out of a ditch.

Oh how conveneient...beside the fact you respond to a poster who used the word ditch and divine and then you used them, you decide to play the "No when i responded to that poster using the same phrases, I was being general" card :D

Whereas the stats suggest thats precise the age group likely to have an accident, and the stats suggest a ditch is most likely where they end up! I thought that was ironic. Learner/Young enthusiast drivers in performance cars are a subset of that, not excepted from it.

Again i'd like to know exactly what % of that population they make up.
    I don't see the point in trying to prove that drivers under 20yrs in lime screen skylines with a 1000hp engine mod are a tiny % of the overall accident rate.

Neither do I. I want to know out of all the crashes every year how many are (insert car manufacturer and model here), the total number of (insert car manufacturer and model here) on irish roads and the age and sex the drivers of each (insert car manufacturer and model here)

Chonker wrote:
    Thats just not true. Your being general. I thought you guys knew about cars. I did not buy my car for its performance, so please be more specific. Did you mean to say... The primary reason for buying a turbo, or Gtr Skyline is for its performance..... maybe then you might be correct. I do the weekly shopping and carry the kid around in my Beautiful R34.
    You may not be blind Tempest, but you are also not correct.

Reverse that arround You can use it on a track but would you buy a 1.4 A-Class for use as a track day car? How about a Micra? How about a transit van? I have no idea why you'd buy a R34 if not for the performance.

Vegeta wrote:
    ...So you are wrong to say just because it is a skyline it is more likely to be crashed based on those sources....

You said I had posted about a Skyline I didn't. Besides you're talking about Corolla's. Hosited...petard. Convient? He mentioned a ditch, as does the article. It was a lighthearted comment. Jeez.

AFAIK they havben't released any reports of make and model. Even if they did you'd be arguing what constitutes a "performance" car. 2.0 non turbo Skyline etc. In the UK at least you have some idea of the risks with certain cars with their Groups system. If someone here did release figures of accidences of cars models and ages, you could be sure some politician would jump on the bandwagon to introduces limits on younger and/or inexperienced drivers, regardless of the stats. Because it would be an easy target, politically.

• Advertisement

Reverse that arround You can use it on a track but would you buy a 1.4 A-Class for use as a track day car? How about a Micra? How about a transit van? I have no idea why you'd buy a R34 if not for the performance.

It looks Great thats why.

If i wanted performance I would have bought an R33 Gtr.

Why do you find that so hard to believe. Why would I lie.

The 2.5 non Turbo is no faster than some Volvos.

If you have no idea why I would buy my car if not for the performance you really need to get out more and see what they look like.

So please accept that not all skyline's are bought for performance. And stop making silly general statements, when you dont seem to know all the facts.

People buy cars for looks also and my car looks amazing, at least it does to me.

Go on you know you love it.

Advertisement