Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver in a Skyline...WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Chonker wrote:
    Thats funny I guess they do look alike, you know the big H and all.

I wonder was it even a Skyline.

www.specsavers.ie

These guys can help Dub
    Oh gosh, no, wait, now I think of it, it was a 16 year old Micra being driven by an old lady full of toys in the back that she was rushing to deliver to the local orphanage!

Guess what, I even took pics as I anticipated the usual amount of pedantry on here.

But until I can get my Razr talking to the Bluetooth PCMCIA card in my laptop, you'll all have to wait and just take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'm not into the Hot Wheels look myself all the decals etc. I think the R34 GT-R as stock is decent in mean/ugly kinda way. The earlier ones don't do it for me. Something along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd gen RX7 I would consider far prettier. I suppose saying people buy for the performance, is a misnomer. Because lots of people by the performance image too. Like the tarted up yokes you see around of all makes. But of course people buy them because they think they are just pretty. I'll give you that. The Skyline with the L plate could have been a 130bhp one.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I'm not into the Hot Wheels look myself all the decals etc. I think the R34 GT-R as stock is decent in mean/ugly kinda way. The earlier ones don't do it for me. Something along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd gen RX7 I would consider far prettier.QUOTE]

Who really cares what you go for in cars.

I'm just pointing out your statement was wrong, at least in my case it was as I cant speak for everybody's tastes or reasons for purchasing a certain type of car.

Just dont be so general thats all I'm saying.

Oh gosh, no, wait, now I think of it, it was a 16 year old Micra being driven by an old lady full of toys in the back that she was rushing to deliver to the local orphanage!

Guess what, I even took pics as I anticipated the usual amount of pedantry on here.

But until I can get my Razr talking to the Bluetooth PCMCIA card in my laptop, you'll all have to wait and just take my word for it.

Thats funny Dub. I hope you got the honda Civic/Accord too has your v3 got a speed camera built in, mine doesn't.

Did you read back through the usual amount of pedantry and find were exactly I said you at anytime stated "Boy Racer"
    If not, do I still fail my driving test.

You say that like its some kind of victory you Idiot, get off your phone when your driving at 120k. I have a child in Ashbourne, and scumbags like you are no better than the fool doing your assumed 160k.

Yes I called you a scumbag thats what guys who are driving at 120k and think its ok to take fu*kin photos, you Idiot. Worse than that you have nerve to tell 75,000 people on boards did it.

First you cant remember which type of car, and then you tell us your operating a dangerous weapon! (in the wrong hands) at a steady 120k per hour and your taking holliday snaps. Dude do you always step in sh*te or is it only when you open your mouth.

Go away and hide your head in shame after you walk down and hand your licence in to the nearest Garda station.

Sorry for the language but what a fuc*kin hypocrite one law for learners another for Dublinwriter.

Chonker wrote:
    ...Who really cares what you go for in cars. I'm just pointing out your statement was wrong, at least in my case it was as I cant speak for everybody's tastes or reasons for purchasing a certain type of car. Just dont be so general thats all I'm saying.

YeeaaaassssSuuuur! I must remember that when I see all those horrors on the road. These people think their yokes are actually good looking. So tell me, where do you sign up for the fashion police anyway? :D

• Advertisement

Chonker wrote:
    I have a child in Ashbourne, and scumbags like you are no better than the fool doing your assumed 160k.
    Really? And you let her play on the by-pass? Shame on you.
    Chonker wrote:
    Yes I called you a scumbag thats what guys who are driving at 120k and think its ok to take fu*kin photos, you Idiot. Worse than that you have nerve to tell 75,000 people on boards did it.
    There's a world of difference between taking a quick shot with your phone and going yak-yak-yak to somewith with it for a couple of minutes.

And guess what? I ALSO ATE A KIT-KAT! Oh the horror, won't someone think of your children, etc...

Really? And you let her play on the by-pass? Shame on you....

No obviously not. Idiot. But if a moran can take Pic(s) like you said not a simple shot on the bypass in Ashbourne im pretty sure he wont only limit his lawbreaking to the major roads, you just incase he see's something he may need proof of in the near future. What you did was wrong no matter how you may decide to justify it.
    There's a world of difference between taking a quick shot with your phone and going yak-yak-yak to somewith with it for a couple of minutes.

And guess what? I ALSO ATE A KIT-KAT! Oh the horror, won't someone think of your children, etc...

Really, Maybe you should be in charge of making all Irish laws. Usually people dont have to take there eyes off the road to stuff something into their mouth so I dont see your comparison.

YeeaaaassssSuuuur! I must remember that when I see all those horrors on the road. These people think their yokes are actually good looking. So tell me, where do you sign up for the fashion police anyway? :D

Listen to me for the last time.
    I said that was my opinion. I like how my car looks, If I wanted performance I would not have bought that model. Why is that so hard to understand.

Does giving my opinion of my car make me part of the fashion police!

Start making sense please or at least reply to what Ive actually said not what you think Ive said.

It was your authoritian tone :eek:

Dude I'm only having a laugh, hence the smilie. This is meaningless banter don't take it so seriously. I suggest laying off the personal insults, I think its against the rules and besides its not cool. I've a SR20DE lump in my own motor, but I didn't buy it for that, or the looks. I bought it because it was cheap, had 4 doors and more room for the family.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Chonker - I agree with your sentiments, but relax before you have a heart attack!

TempestSabre - out of curiosity, what is an SR20DE?

DublinWriter - you're b1tching and moaning about a car going past you at 160kph, and that it has a learner sticker. As has been pointed out, it may not have had a learner driving it at the time. Also (I don't know what the smallest engine/bhp in the Skyline range is), maybe it was the baby of the range done up to look like the daddy.

Chonker is right - you are being a hypocrite by taking a photo at 120kph of the cars going past you. Firstly, you have to search for your phone/camera. Then you have to set it up/turn it on. Where are your hands and where are you looking during all that? Then you have to aim it to the right to take the picture of the car passing you, taking your concentration of the road ahead, and at least one hand of the wheel at 120kph. Finally, you have to do all that in the couple of seconds it would have taken the car to pass you at +33.3% of your own speed, meaning that you must have been jumping around your car like a lunatic to get all that.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    Chonker - I agree with your sentiments, but relax before you have a heart attack!
    QUOTE]

lol, Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

just to clarify what everyone thinks. Which do ye find more dangerous:
    A) Passing out a car on a major road with no pedestrians around while having full concentration on the road ahead and being aware of all oncoming dangers.
    B) Taking out your phone, unlocking it presumably, loading the camera, focus the camera to make sure it is taking the correct pic (cant usually be done without looking at the screen) and therefore having no immediate view of oncoming obstacles or dangers.

Maybe its just me that think the phone is by FAR the more dangerous of the two.
    Also since it hasnt been noted there is the issue of performance of the cars which i feel should be legally addressed to the council. A Skyline be it for beauty or speed was designed to be able to handle speed and stop quickly etc... a micra wasnt. I feel high performance cars should be legally allowed diff speeds but since the crazy age we live it that wont happen. Instead the responsibility lies with drivers. A skyline is capable of speeds MUCH faster than a micra and it can do these speeds safer than a micra can do the legal limit.

Signpost - I'm with option "B".

Good point about the design of the 2 cars, too.

Fey! wrote:
    ....TempestSabre - out of curiosity, what is an SR20DE?...

Popular Nissan 2.0 engine. Lots of info on the web.

Signpost wrote:
    ....A skyline is capable of speeds MUCH faster than a micra and it can do these speeds safer than a micra can do the legal limit.

The driver might not be as able though. Physically or mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Im not being a smart ass but i'd feel safer seeing a monkey driving a skyline at 70mph than most average drivers driving at 70mph in a micra. At least if the monkey presses the brakes the car will safely stop. Also how mentally sound is a driver if they produce their phone to take pics while travelling at 70mph? Guranteed the driver of the skyline wasnt using his phone!
    Thanks Fey aswell for agreeing with design of cars. Its very unfair that a few wanna be rally drivers make it impossible for us to get insured. These people should be restricted to 1l cars for the simple reason they arent experienced to drive highpowered cars if they crash them. I grew up on a farm (not boasting like your man at the start of the thread) so have been driving on our off roads since i was 10. 9 years later i want to get my own insurance policy on a 318ci BMW and only reasonable quoat i got was off FBD for €2600 which seems too much to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

Been following this thread with interest, lmao at the "we have land" comment, classic!

First off, if they can afford the insurance, fair play to them, I undestand the point of a Skyline not being the best car to learn how to drive in but its been pointed out Dublinwriter could not see the driver, so we don't know for sure if it was some young lad in his daddys car or some 50 year old who just never bothered his arse to get his full driving licence!

Throughout the thread you get a sense of nobody 'deserves to own a Skyline' from certain people. Do you people honestly think someone in a Skyline is instantly more dangerous just because he has L plates up? Or do you just begrudge the fact this person has a Skyline?

I'm young and I have an RX7, do you hate me? Does the fact I take care of it, drive courtesly and don't drive the absolute bag out of it make a differance? Does the fact I'm not loaded or have land and had to work hard to save the money to buy it/run it make a differance?

If this person can afford to have a Skyline on the road, fair play to them, let them enjoy it. Some people go out clubbing Fri Sat Sun, some people jump out of planes, some people travel etc etc, and some people drive high performance cars. Each to their own.

If I was driving down the road and had a choice between a learner driver in a Skyline and some f*ckwit with one hand on the wheel while trying to take a photo of said Skyline, I'll choose the Skyline.

Kaos

I don't care what they are in as long as they aren't driving like a moron. Its usually someones weird behaviour that makes me look for a reason for the bad driving. If its a L plater I'll give them some space.

If its a gleaming Skyline with kids and shopping even wider berth, its probably Chonker :D

Kaos - there is a lot of "if they drive such-and-such a car they're only boy racers/up their own arses/wasters" on boards. Just look at the multitude of anti-BMW driver commentaryon a lot of the threads here, a lot of which generally refer to BMW drivers as self-absorbed roadhogs.

If its a gleaming Skyline with kids and shopping even wider berth, its probably Chonker :D

I guess that one quote sums up your intelligence.

• Advertisement

Chonker - deep breaths!!! Spot the smiley face; he's only slagging!

Fey! wrote:
    Chonker - deep breaths!!! Spot the smiley face; he's only slagging!

Ok Sorry Tempest against my better judgement I will take that comment as a slagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Luke Crowley

connundrum wrote:
    Would anyone object to all learner drivers being restricted to cars of 1000cc/1200cc or less?

Yes it is stirring the pot but I cannot see a logical reason why a learner would need any more than that.

I am of the mindset that if the road speed limits are 120kph, then why are road cars not restricted to 130kph.

And to add my 2cents, I don't think that the insurance company should allow an L plate driver be put on anything which might even be considered high performance (yes, I said might even be considered) regardless of whether it was on company insurance, farm insurance or daddy's insurance.

Right then, this thread has been gradually getting up my nose since I started reading it, but I'm going to pick on you because you put your views so concisely. I'm sure you're very nice, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I waited 17 years to get behind the wheel of a car, and now that I finally have, I'd like to be able to drive whatever I please. For the record, I drive a 1.8 litre Mercedes-Benz 190E. It might be considered sporting, but I assure you it's not. Certainly not as sporting as the Saxos and Puntos that my friends drive. I also recently entered a draw to win an equally unsporting 4.2 litre Cadillac Seville. and if I want to drive that too, I will. Complete with L-plates, because I've been patiently waiting to take my test for the past 10 months.

Now, to fuel the fire further, I'm a shy, non-drinking, law-abiding citizen who always drives courteously and responsibly. However, I have broken several speed limits where conditions allow, driven uninsured on occasion (including a brief stint behind the wheel of a quite sporting 5.6 litre Chevy Tahoe), and although I am on my first provisional, I drive unaccompanied all the time. And I have not had an accident since I started driving.

[/] End of rant. :)

Chonker wrote:
    You say that like its some kind of victory you Idiot, get off your phone when your driving at 120k. I have a child in Ashbourne, and scumbags like you are no better than the fool doing your assumed 160k.

Yes I called you a scumbag thats what

Stone me, talk about anger problems.

What ever happened to 'attack the post, not the poster?'.

Stone me, talk about anger problems.

What ever happened to 'attack the post, not the poster?'.

I get angry at you Idiots on the phone in a car. I have good reason to but thats of no interest to you.

Why cant you admit what you did is wrong. You started a rant about a guy breaking the law but neglected to inform us that at the same time you were fumbling around with your v3 trying to do similar and then you try to justify what you did as being something not so important. A quick snap, I have a v3 and it aint that easy you have to save each picture and you said you had more than one ie pics. You really are no better than the guy who sped past you. If you still dissagree then there is no hope for you.

People die because Idiots use there phone behind the wheel, and of course also because idiots speed. And yes that makes me angry. Very angry.

Chonker wrote:
    People die because Idiots use there phone behind the wheel, and of course also because idiots speed. And yes that makes me angry. Very angry.

Only idiots jump to conclusions. I have a Pioneer Bluetooth hands free headunit, so you can sleep safe tonight.

As I said, world of a difference between yakking away on the phone and picking up the phone, pointing it *at* the car in front of you and taking a snap.

And a friendly word of advice seeing that you've just arrived, calling people scumbags on here is generally frowned upon.

Only idiots jump to conclusions. I have a Pioneer Bluetooth hands free headunit, so you can sleep safe tonight.

As I said, world of a difference between yakking away on the phone and picking up the phone, pointing it *at* the car in front of you and taking a snap.

And a friendly word of advice seeing that you've just arrived, calling people scumbags on here is generally frowned upon.

Actually I take it all back, nothing has been achieved here today, You still believe you didn't break the law and I still think you did. I guess this can of worms was all for nothing.

No hard feelings dude, good luck with the new points system.

Chonker wrote:
    You still believe you didn't break the law and I still think you did. I guess this can of worms was all for nothing.
    And no, I don't admit that I broke the law either, as you seem to eagerly imply here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054984741&referrerid=59211&highlight=site:boards.ie

How many times do I have to say that taking a quick-snap with a mobile when on the road is *NOTHING* like having a conversation with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The law on not using a mobile phone while driving is nothing to do with having a conversation on it. You should not be holding a mobile phone while driving, that is the law. So by taking a picture on your phone while driving you were indeed breaking the law.

Advertisement