Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver in a Skyline...WTF?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I break the law every time I copy a CD to my iPod. Doesn't make me a scumbag though.

The question is, regardless of legality, just how dangerous was reaching for a phone while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Considering how many fiddle with their dash radio, or fumble around in the glove-box, I must be worse than Hitler.

Yes, I'm a total scumbag, photographing a learner driver in a Skyline shooting past me at 160 kmp/h+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm not saying you are a scumbag or anything. All I am saying is that by even holding a mobile phone while driving you are breaking the law, but who cares really?

I 'd say everyone on here has 'broken the law' while driving at some stage yet there will always be somebody complaining about something they saw that day. My advice is worry about your own driving and let everyone else worry about their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I assume its as dangerous as any distraction while driving. But not all distractions are illegal. We don't know its a learner either. All we know is that they were speeding. So I dunno what a photo would prove, unless you got your own speedo in the photo. Thats a different can of worms though. Besides the quality of a V3 camera is crime in itself. At least mine was.

When a thread degenerates to name calling, its run its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

colm_mcm wrote:
    Anyone doing 160kmph should be criticised though.
    The should crash into something, survive and see how lucky they were so they will never do it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Considering how many fiddle with their dash radio, or fumble around in the glove-box, I must be worse than Hitler.

Yes, I'm a total scumbag, photographing a learner driver in a Skyline shooting past me at 160 kmp/h+

Dub you were talikg photographs while driving at 120k, the insult is because you still dont think you broke the law. Guys who break the law which you did no matter if we all do it are open to insults. When they do it.

Lads if you drove past somebody at 120k taking a picture, would you point him out to your passengers and say anything other than an insult.

I bet DW would too.

Look DW your still gonna do it again, so lets leave it at this, I was wrong to insult you and you broke the law trying for some reason to catch someone breaking the law. I had no reason to imply you were a scum bag on boards I should keep remarks like that for Idiots on the road.

By the way what type of honda was it really or were u too busy getting the v3 ready... only kidding mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

well, it seems that everybody getsto break the law (unintentionally) then realizes it a bit later when somebody points it out to him.:D sure thing is that, we get to be defensive drivers all the time especially now that road accident figure has risen up.:( For learner drivers, ease up on the grip and stick to your limits!

don't wanna end up collidingwith you guys!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You just haven't learned anything from this yet have you???

Prove that the driver was driving that car while holding a provisional licence for that category of vehicle.

On the other hand, if you post the pictures you took, we can all see the proof that you WERE doing something illegal while driving (through your own admission)

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Right then, this thread has been gradually getting up my nose since I started reading it, but I'm going to pick on you because you put your views so concisely. I'm sure you're very nice, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I waited 17 years to get behind the wheel of a car, and now that I finally have, I'd like to be able to drive whatever I please. For the record, I drive a 1.8 litre Mercedes-Benz 190E. It might be considered sporting, but I assure you it's not. Certainly not as sporting as the Saxos and Puntos that my friends drive. I also recently entered a draw to win an equally unsporting 4.2 litre Cadillac Seville. and if I want to drive that too, I will. Complete with L-plates, because I've been patiently waiting to take my test for the past 10 months.

Now, to fuel the fire further, I'm a shy, non-drinking, law-abiding citizen who always drives courteously and responsibly. However, I have broken several speed limits where conditions allow, driven uninsured on occasion (including a brief stint behind the wheel of a quite sporting 5.6 litre Chevy Tahoe), and although I am on my first provisional, I drive unaccompanied all the time. And I have not had an accident since I started driving.

[/] End of rant. :)

So what if you have a Merc 190E while your friends have Puntos and Saxos. If you can afford to run it and insure it, then it's your headache! So what that you don't drink and you're law abiding; I very rarely drink and several of my friends
    don't drink at all, and we're all law abiding. Doesn't make us any better than anyone else.

However, your post really shows you to be an irresponsible little toerag who drives with no concern for others. You state that you're always courteous and responsible, yet in your next breath you openly admit that you drive uninsured. What happens when you have an accident? Put a child in hospital? :mad:

Reading your post, you come across as if your 17 and feel that you're Gods' gift to driving - like we all did. You haven't had an accident since you started to drive - how many miles have you done to date? You openly flout the laws and have the audacity to call yourself responsible. :eek:

Take it from me; at 17, you know NOTHING about ANYTHING.

Do the rest of us a favour; stick your name up on your car in BIG letters.

That way we can all avoid you on the road.

Luke Crowley sounds like a troll to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Stark wrote:
    Luke Crowley sounds like a troll to me.

I know, but thought I'd reply anyway, because (unbelievably) I do know several people just like him... (or just like his post, anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

fey
    i wouldn't lower your self by answering...

Fey! wrote:
    However, your post really shows you to be an irresponsible little toerag who drives with no concern for others.

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Ah the wisdom of youth...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

How many times do I have to say that taking a quick-snap with a mobile when on the road is *NOTHING* like having a conversation with it?

Yes your exactly right. It is nothing like having a conversation. Its about 20000 times worse. Just for clarity i tried it while my car was parked and it took me 16secs. My gf was official timekeeper and she said that my eyes were on my phone and not on the road for 7 secs. (broken into 2 secs to see was camera loaded and 5 making sure my hand was steady and that i was capturing the car i was photographing and not sky / driveway. At least one can watch the road while having a convo. I personally despise people driving while on the phone but given choice id choose to have someone talkin that having there eyes not on the road.
    Not for me to call anyone on ere a scumbag but i would really question your driving mentality taking pictures at 75mph. And yet again I'll ask the question how can you tell he was doing 100mph? Since you didnt answer it last time prove to everyone that you can without any shadow of a doubt prove to us he was going 100mph!

Yea DW I'm really sorry bout the scumbag comment, because you used your phone while driving doesnt make you a scumbag.

But I do reserve the right to call you one if you kill somebody while doing it next time.

Ok friends again!

Signpost wrote:
    Since you didnt answer it last time prove to everyone that you can without any shadow of a doubt prove to us he was going 100mph!

I'd like to know what metric you used to determine that taking a picture with a camera is 20,000 times worse than having a conversation on a phone.

A person having a conversation on the phone still needs to pick it up to answer it, or to make the phone call.

And it is possible to grab something next to you without taking your eyes off the road if you're used to it. If you couldn't, then we'd have to take our eyes off the road every time we change gears (just like learner drivers have a tendency to do). I often have to get sunglasses out of my side pocket while keeping my eyes on the road if I turn a corner and hit nasty glare in the evening.

To take a picture on a camera phone, it's a case of pick up phone from seat, press the camera button (no need to navigate a menu on most camera phones), hold the camera roughly in front of you, click again, drop the phone. I can't see how that would take your eyes off the road for 7 seconds.

I'd like to reiterate that I've never taken a photo whilst driving, but I don't see why people are whipping themselves into a moral high ground frenzy over the issue. And I do think having a conversation is *far* worse. The stupid things I've seen people do while try to do all the various things in a car with only one hand. Going round corners and taking hand off steering wheel to change gears being one example.

i used the metric of "signposts ratio of dangerosity". You'll hear of it in about 16000 years lol. Was just meaning that i felt there was a big difference between the two and didnt like to use the phrase lightyears etc... everyone for their own but i def think takin pics while drivin is more dangerous. wouldnt do either but id take a call much faster.
    Just a test aswell stark. Today sit into your car and take pic while not looking at your phone and i gurantee you will find it near impossible to do so and if you dont i could almost bet you will not have a very good picture of your target (remember now the pic will have to be in front and to the right of you since dub was being passed out at the time of the incident) and next try repat this in complete process in about 10 secs since the driver was allegedly doing 100 mph and would be gone like the wind otherwise without looking at your phone. bet you will find it alot harder than it sounds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Sorry to bring this up again but "Oh, yeah and we`ve land".

Ahh I need a coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Signpost wrote:
    Just for clarity i tried it while my car was parked and it took me 16secs.

jjjjjjjjjjjeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssss....

16 sec... get a new phone

press two keys on my phone and its done... press one key and it opens the camera function second key takes the pic... done.

• Advertisement

wait for it to load up while trying "not" to look at the road and then take d pic. Prob do need a new phone alright but this is d one i have to do with for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Signpost wrote:
    Just for clarity i tried it while my car was parked and it took me 16secs.
    Jesus wept, what were you using? A Box Brownie?

...ironic, considering the only reason I took the snaps in the first place was I knew some loon on here would go "How can you be so sure it was a Skyline? How do you know it was doing 160 kmp/h?"

Tell you what, I'll give Chonker a total eppy by getting a Laser Gun like the guards have, and constantly drive one handed up and down the N2 pointing it at cars out the window. But then someone will ask "how can you be so sure it was calibrated propertly?" and the heated exchange will continue.

Jesus wept, what were you using? A Box Brownie?

...ironic, considering the only reason I took the snaps in the first place was I knew some loon on here would go "How can you be so sure it was a Skyline? How do you know it was doing 160 kmp/h?"

Ok DW next time we will trust you. Just put the phone down dude before you get the points.

By the way the you get the Honda (s) on your V3.

Tell you what, I'll give Chonker a total eppy by getting a Laser Gun like the guards have, and constantly drive one handed up and down the N2 pointing it at cars out the window. But then someone will ask "how can you be so sure it was calibrated propertly?" and the heated exchange will continue.

You know what, in future why dont you just leave it all to the guards, and focus on tha road ahead. Who made you the N2 patrol.

Advertisement