Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

broadband providers in carlow with no phone

• 26-08-2006 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi so i want to get broadband in some rented apartment in carlow town. Anyone know who is the best service to go with. Anyone any experience with the metro?. or should i go through the cable with chorus or ntl? think there is already chorus in the flat. I dont want a connection thats dog slow. there will probably be 4 people using the broadband so demand would be high.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

In Carlow you have a few options. DSL from eircom/digiweb/bt/utv. Requires a phone line obviously. Wireless options are IBB/Clearwire and Digiweb. Metro just launched, we've the 5mbit/1mbit product in the ofifce, and so far it is the bees knees. Problem you might have is getting permission to have the Radio mounted on the building and line of sight.

With Metro you get a free phone so it's well worth the few euro they charge for it.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

Yes i think that could be a problem alright. Anyone any experience with chorus and its tv and internet package? there's already cable in the apartment. Also its a student house so wanting to keep the costs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Any way you could 'sub-let' your BB connection to other interested parties in the block - one way of keeping costs down.

Bear in mind any minimum contracts if you're a student - you won't be there for about 6 months of the year anyway - and if you go for a Clearwire/IBB type thingamajig, will it work when you move home/house/apartment/gaff/digs/squat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

Yes well think the 12 month contract can be got around. I was thinking about the subletting thing but how does it work with download limits. its gonna be impossible to know who exactly has been downloading masses of films etc putting the monthly limit overboard... also dont know people in the block.there is an unsecured network in the block already so i know people have broadband there so maybe they're already subletting it but surely they'd do it via mac address thingy and not just have it unsecured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I have Clearwire connection in Carlow at the moment and TBH the connection is not that bad if you are just browsing or doing a bit of web development and i have found their service to be fairly reliable!

But if you want to use torrent's or P2P you may forget about Clearwire as it seem's that since the start of the year that they have blocked those services.

Also they tend to have a habit of Port Blocking for example i use a control Panel to access the admin side of a website but recently they seemed to have blocked port 2222 (which i require to access it) :mad:
    It then took 4 day's of phone calls to try get it sorted ( and them swearing that they dont port block!!! but the site was up and accessable from other ISP's!!)

The other thing to also keep in mind is that if i remember correctly the 12 month contract with Clearwire has a €120 get out fee. You may want to check what the get out fee is for Digiweb Metro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

KC81 wrote:
    there is an unsecured network in the block already so i know people have broadband...

Q.E.D.

Advertisement