Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40?

• 26-08-2006 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am on the look out for a new . 2nd hand car and was thinking about a Volvo S40 - u can get a 01/02 model for between 7 and 9 k .

Just wondering is there anything volvo specific i should look out for when i am looking at models?

anyone driving one out there, how do u find it?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Smithers wrote:
    Hey guys,

I am on the look out for a new . 2nd hand car

I might be completely wrong, but I seem to remember you got an A4 not that long ago? Why ditch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

have it over 2 years, just fancy a change ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Smithers wrote:
    have it over 2 years, just fancy a change ,

Ah, fair enough. I remember your previous car :D

Tbh I reckon an S40 would disappoint you coming from your A4. What's your budget, what's your annual mileage and what are your priorities?

What's your budget, bout 7k
    what's your annual mileage hmm, about 12-14k
    what are your priorities? gud question, something big and confortable

just never thought about an s40 - seen a few for sale and kinda like the look and various specs on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1996 - 2004 Volvo S40 uses the running gear of the Mitsubishi Carisma on which it is based. Both the S40 and Carisma were built in Holland along side each other as part of a venture between Mitsubishi, Volvo and the Dutch Government.

This was the first Volvo to be built outside Sweden. Alot smaller on the inside than it looks on the outside due to the Carisma underpinings

The S40 had most engines from Renault including the 1.9 litre diesels. It also used the 1.8 litre GDi engine from Mitsubishi which was supposed to have good mpg. Avoid the 1.6 litre petrol as it was dog slow.

The best one is the 1.9 litre TD with 115bhp which was not a bad unit, it was available from 2001 onwards and replaced the old 90bhp version. It was made by Renault and while not as refined as the VAG TDi it was an ok unit. Also watch out for dodgy electrics and go for the highest spec possible, ie SE trim with leather and winter packs.

• Advertisement

cheers bazz, will bear it in mind

Advertisement