Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish resident a-level??

Options
  • 27-08-2006 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

how does the leaving cert compare to the uk and their A-Levels?can an irish resident take the a-level exam?you see british colleges all seem to only allow one sitting of the leaving cert so even if i repeated my leaving and say i didnt meet the academic requirements for an irish college but did for a british one i still would`nt get in,and just last week on the news it had a woman in her 40s or 50s who had taken the gcse and she was from tipperary,so would it be possible for me an irish born irish resident to register and go to northern ireland and take the A- level exams??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

j2u wrote:
    how does the leaving cert compare to the uk and their A-Levels?can an irish resident take the a-level exam?you see british colleges all seem to only allow one sitting of the leaving cert so even if i repeated my leaving and say i didnt meet the academic requirements for an irish college but did for a british one i still would`nt get in,and just last week on the news it had a woman in her 40s or 50s who had taken the gcse and she was from tipperary,so would it be possible for me an irish born irish resident to register and go to northern ireland and take the A- level exams??

I have heard of people doing it. But I don't have any more information on this. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You don't have to go up north, there is a place in Dublin(the name of which escapes me at the moment) where you can sit A-levels, it's like the Institute. As long as you have all the subject in your LC that you need for matriculation you can take whatever subjects for the A-levels that you need to(if you didn't pass Irish you have to take it as an A Level), most people do four and I think you count three for points. I have a friend from Belfast who said it's quite like your first year of college in terms of difficulty(hence why they do so few compared to the LC and get double the point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I did one GSCE subject. God when I think back on it was such a waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

The Dublin Tutorial Centre offers only A-Levels. And I don't mean to be bitchy, but all this information is available in various places. The Sunday Business Post had a supplement about Medical Schools a while ago.

But instead of trying A-Levels, maybe you should apply to the Eastern/Central European Universities, or to American pre-meds. I was looking up UCAS the other day, and they quote a figure of 20,000 applicants for 800 medical places. 15% of UK applicants with all the necessary qualities were rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Oh god... The A-Levels are so terrible compared to the Leaving. In English for example you have to tackle all the questions so abstractly. You have to basically end up answering a different question to what you're asked. I did the A-levels, dropped out and am now back in Ireland about to attempt the leaving instead. My advice : stay away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I did one GSCE subject.

As did I, registered with the English CEA through school because the JC dosent offer any ICT-related exam, so we took it during fourth year.

Try looking here, it's all google turned up for me on the subject and i can't remember what CEA stands for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    As did I, registered with the English CEA through school because the JC dosent offer any ICT-related exam, so we took it during fourth year.

Isn't CEA Northern Irish?

Advertisement