Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 in North East Meath - Faster than a bag full of fast things!

Options
  • 27-08-2006 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Am I allowed to go yipeeeee?

I really thought I'd die before I got more than (allegedly) 64kbps via eircon ISDN here in the Royal County (near Duleek).

FINALLY Net1 have answered my prayers (with a little dish and a transponder).

I'm paying €47.00 a month for a nominal 2.2Meg line (it's supposed to be synchronous) and NO download limit - "always on", of course. Apparently, this is the "Home/Soho" package.

(When I was a lad, Soho was a dodgy area up West in London with a lot of cheap clip joints for picking up tarts; numerous strip clubs selling warm, watered down so-called beer; and shops selling bizarre implements which, at first glance, appeared designed solely for neutering cats. Or so I was told. Apparently, Soho now means Small Office HOme. Which isn't so much a TLA as TLA posing as a FLA, which is DAFT.)

€47.00 compares VERY well the alleged 64kbps I was getting for the extra line charge from eircon + the ISP charge of €25.00 month from NewTel (NOT always on, but fair play for a reasonably priced dial-up package).

The reality (irishisptest.com) is that I'm actually getting closer to 4900kpbs Download and 1762kbps Upload. So only about 28 times faster than eircon, then.

To be fair, there have been a few teething troubles but the support guys are:
    a) VERY technically competent and,
    b) VERY concerned about providing the best service they can (I get e-mails written at nearly 1 o'clock in the morning telling me they're working on a problem!)

I swear, it's so fast that sometimes I don't realise the Google page has changed.

I'm also using Skype and even calls to land lines are being reported to me as "very clear". And at €0.017 per minute, quite cheap. Yes, 1.7c per minute. (€0.16 per minute to Irish mobiles, by the way.)

I really shouldn't be telling anyone about this, though. I'm supposed to be suffering a 15:1 contention ratio but apparently there are rather a large number of Internots (those on the hard shoulder of the information superhighway) in my very sparsely populated area and I'm, ahem, getting ALL the bandwidth at the moment.

It doesn't stop me supporting the campaign, though. Anyone in Ireland who wants it should have affordable, unmetered, broadband Internet access.

Whilst I can afford €47.00 a month, there are many out there who can't. For a government that stresses the advantages of a "young, educated workforce" they aren't doing a whole lot to keep it that way.

Anyway, for anyone interested, it's http://www.net1.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Small Office / Home Office.

not a TLA mutated to four letters!

In late 70s there were some good Chinese resturants & supermarkets though in Soho. Don't know about the the other.

Well if you use a VOIP service and cancel Eircom line you save nearly 1/2 what you are paying for Internet. You can get adaptor for a real phone and a real geographic number so that people dialing you are not confused and your PC need not be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I Want BB! wrote:
    Am I allowed to go yipeeeee?
    Well, let's see how well you get on after a couple of months, early days yet.

I'm probably in the same area as you roughly, and I gave up the ghost with Net1 a year ago. It's a very bad sign in a company when you can't even talk to anyone in sales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob still says to rural Ireland

Support Your Local Wireless ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I Want BB! wrote:
    I'm also using Skype and even calls to land lines are being reported to me as "very clear". And at €0.017 per minute, quite cheap. Yes, 1.7c per minute.
    Even eircom charges less than €0.017 per minute for off-peak local calls.

Providers like voipstunt.com or voipcheap.com will give you 300 minutes a week of free calls to landlines and charge 1.16c/minute (€0.0116) after that. (For calls to mobiles, voipcheap.com only charges 9.28c!).

Skype rhymes with hype for a reason ;)

Advertisement