Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to vB3.6?

Options
  • 27-08-2006 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Any news on when boards will be upgraded to vB 3.6?
    From what I have read it improves on a number of problems with 3.5.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm not sure if its stable enough yet, better to be safe than sorry but I can't speak for the admins. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Any news on when boards will be upgraded to vB 3.6?
    From what I have read it improves on a number of problems with 3.5.
    What are the differences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There looks to be a lot of cool features (looks like the stable 3.6 release came out at the beginning of August). Have a look here, fade_to_grey. Lots of new toys for the mods. :)

edit: sparky-s site(htireland.com) is running 3.6, he'd be able to tell you far more than I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Cheers Ruu!

Sounds like there's lots of cool new features, the Infraction system will probably be a god send for ye mods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Some of the new features in 3.6 will be very handy for us non-mods too, my personal favourite is Multi-Quote. I know IPB had a multi-quote feature for a while.

I am hoping that 3.6 is better optimised, and as a result, not only will boards run faster, but the search system may be more efficient, so it can then be re-enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

We will probably test this on our test server shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Some of the new features in 3.6 will be very handy for us non-mods too, my personal favourite is Multi-Quote. I know IPB had a multi-quote feature for a while.

I am hoping that 3.6 is better optimised, and as a result, not only will boards run faster, but the search system may be more efficient, so it can then be re-enabled.

Multiquote is very handy indeed.

What is also impressive is the RSS bot feature, and frontend announcement editing.

There is also a private message quota warning system for any of you getting worried about your PM space.

In terms of vB becoming better optimised, I think I read that the backend was slightly improved for better optimisation.

There is also a load of template reverts. In simple english, a lot of work for the admins.
    :)

Multiquote is indeed quite cool, though I wished you could 'add' each quote, and that they'd be then added to the quick reply box rather then having to go to the 'Post Reply' page.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Myth wrote:
    Multiquote is indeed quite cool, though I wished you could 'add' each quote, and that they'd be then added to the quick reply box rather then having to go to the 'Post Reply' page.

That would probably be a pretty easy hack to do in the current version. I wrote something very similar (about 5 lines of JavaScript), and it would be nearly identical for this - the only thing it doesn't take into account is if the post quotes another post, so it's probably not much use here in it's current state.

Myth wrote:

I think the overall idea of multiquote was to reply to certain posts as you have quoted.
    Having a load of quotes in a small quick reply box doesn't seem logical to me anyway.

I'd say the vB crew would of assumed a user would rather do this in a full editor that post reply offers.

I'm sure a hack is available on vB.org, or if not, will soon be.
    If enough people ask for it, vB will make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sparky-s wrote:
    I think the overall idea of multiquote was to reply to certain posts as you have quoted.
    Having a load of quotes in a small quick reply box doesn't seem logical to me anyway.

I'd say the vB crew would of assumed a user would rather do this in a full editor that post reply offers.

I'm sure a hack is available on vB.org, or if not, will soon be.
    If enough people ask for it, vB will make it.

It's logical if you don't want to load a new page, which is a factor on boards.ie anyhow! The hack could include expanding the size of the quick reply box as soon as it is enabled, which would make it more user-friendly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any updates? :P

Funny thing is, ages ago I requested Multi-Quote and I was laughed at :P Told it was a pointless feature and I was lazy. Now it seems everyone likes the idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

vb 3.6 is alot better then 5.4 i love it i think the infraction system is stupid and pointless why they couldnt just add a normal warning system like invisions buy yea 3.6 rules iv been running it on my own forum since it became stable

Boards can survive on 3.5 for a good while.
    All boards need is the security patches, for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

All we need is only the security patches.
    You should probably not post like you're an admin here. It might lead to confusion.

Steveire wrote:
    You should probably not post like you're an admin here. It might lead to confusion.

Ah, true. Sorted. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Steveire wrote:

Ah sure, we can all tell by the badge and colour of his stars anyway :)

Dont think he was talking like an admin, just making a point as he was refered to earlier on in the thread as being the best guy to know as he uses it himself :P

Advertisement