Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowdown on the gaffer

Options
  • 27-08-2006 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

Right, am a little bit confussed but by my reckoning seansouth's real name is Des and he's the manager of this here team. right so far?

Either way I'd like to get to know a bit about whoever the gaffer is and whoever else is giving a dig out. Not trying to be smart here in anyway, just wanna know who's running the show and what they're into and what have ya.

There's probably a few thoughts I'd like to run by the gaffer so just wanna know who it is and if theyre interested in hearing opinions. I can totally agree that this would be best done in private as the last thing we need is dissenting voices, so maybe if we can agree that if you have an idea you do XYZ in private but in public we should be hearing only one man's voice it'd help everyone overall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seansouth/Des is manager :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I must admit, I'm slightly let down by this after the thread title I was expecting some scandal!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Should we create a seperate thread to collect funds for the Mourinho overcoat and tweed cap?

cotswoldcap.jpg
    overcoat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Unless Des comes dressed like that, we have no chance at success in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

And if we're going to be serious we'll need one of these for time-keeping.

rolex_datejust2_lg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

mickey_mouse.jpg

fergie swears by these ones.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Right, am a little bit confussed but by my reckoning seansouth's real name is Des and he's the manager of this here team. right so far?
    Yep!
    Either way I'd like to get to know a bit about whoever the gaffer is and whoever else is giving a dig out. Not trying to be smart here in anyway, just wanna know who's running the show and what they're into and what have ya.
    Well, KdjaCL is doing the jersies and that jazz, he's also trying to organise the friendly for this week.

This is my first foray into management, and even though I see this job as a stepping stone to bigger things, I am still 110% Committed :D

As for what I'm into, well, I like a variety of music, from Metallica to Orbital; Clannad to Dr. Dre. I enjoy travelling, and have just returned from a world trip. I'm an avid reader. I support Shelbourne, and do a bit of work for the official website on matchdays, like the live updates, post game interviews and that kind of stuff. I have various medals for football from my younger days, from U-11 to U15, I am also a qualified FAI referee (some people may argue that there is no such thing), but had to give up actually doing games after I did the ligaments in my right knee. That's like a very bad hobbies and interests part of a CV! Is this what you were looking for?
    There's probably a few thoughts I'd like to run by the gaffer so just wanna know who it is and if theyre interested in hearing opinions. I can totally agree that this would be best done in private as the last thing we need is dissenting voices, so maybe if we can agree that if you have an idea you do XYZ in private but in public we should be hearing only one man's voice it'd help everyone overall.
    There is a PM service here on Boards, by all means feel free to PM me, as the old cliché goes, my door is always open. If you'd prefer to talk to me face to face, again, please feel free.

The only thing I ask is that come matchdays if there is a system in place on the field that people will stick to it. We need to trust each other, especially on the pitch. I'm not out to give unwarranted stick, and I'm not about to start roaring at people in training. On matchdays it's a different story. If I see people doing silly things, playing out of position etc, they will be pulled up on it.

Systems like 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-5-1 etc will have to evolve. I have a system in mind, and this proposed friendly will be the test of that. I don't know if it will work, and I'm sure it will need some tweaking. I have a tentative starting XI in mind too, but, again, it will need to be tested to find out what the story on it is.

I've been saying to my mates for a few years that I'd like to manage a team, when this idea was first mooted on the soccer forum about a month and a half ago, I decided to take the bull by the horns and give it a lash. I'm sure it's a learning curve for all of us, and if we can all remember that then I'm sure there will be no problems.

On a final note, I think it is very important that we get to know each other socially, to try and build some kind of relationship in the team. Please everyone, make an effort to come to the Soccer Beers next Saturday for the Ireland game. I'm sure Stan will be giving me some tips on how not to manage a team.

Advertisement