Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peeling paint...

Options
  • 27-08-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hows things?

Does anyone know of a way to stop paint peeling? The problem keeps happening. Is there some kind of paint i can put down first that will stop it happening again?

Photo of whats happening should be attached...

Any advice would be much appreciated...!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay you have a problem with your substrate...most likely the gypsum in the cement/render is leeching and causing the surface of the render to be chalky and powdery.
    I assume that's exterior masonry paint you have on your plinth.
    It's having trouble staying stuck to the render.

First things first; to fix it, scrape back as much of the paint as will come off (even if it's all of it). Brush the surface down with a sweeping brush or whatever.
    Next you can do one of three things....
    the render can be painted with an oil based undercoat and gloss system. Oil adheres better and will resist the powderiness for a lot longer.
    Or you could paint the surface with a stabilising solution, which is also oil base. You leave this to dry for 24 hours then paint over with your masonry paint.
    Lastly (my preferred method)....go to the paint shop and ask them for something called EB. It's made by Owatrol, you only need a very small amount but it's fairly expensive (15 quid for 500ml)
    You simply add this to the first coat of masonry paint following the kixing instructions. Allow to dry and second coat with only the masonry paint.
    EB makes any emulsion paint stick to bad substrates inside or out and IMO is the best method

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

My two cents on top of wertz suggestions,use a wirebrush to clean surface. Also Dulux have a paint called "All Seasons" its an oil based masonry paint which is rain proof in 20mins or so.Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Thanks for the tips... Will try and sort out some EB and see what happens. Off to work i go...!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have a similar problem on inside walls. The house was built in the 50's and i don't think that there was any seal or undercoat put on the walls then. When we paint (inside) the outside walls particularly the paint as it dries swells and can be flaked off leaving the chalky wall behind it. Would sealing this with unibond solve it???

any help welcome.

artieanna

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

I have the same problem with our exterior walls. I got some advice from someone on boards (6th was his name I think) and applied a coat of Sandtex Stabilising solution. It's an adhesive. It's too early to say if it has worked but I can see how it would work. It was very hard to get the splashes of it off my skin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement