Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which dsl modem/wireless router combo?

• 27-08-2006 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'd like to setup a simple wireless network at home - replace the Prestige 600 series adsl modem witha wireless router/dsl modem combo.

So, whats the recommened hardware? Linksys? Netgear? What about them new-fangled 300Mb/s jobbies? Any good?

Thanks.

edit - forgot to mention - I'll be leaving a standard NIC in my home rig - just want the wireless for my laptop really.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Linksys don't really have a DSL modem/router combo at the mo for what ever reason. So I'd go with Netgear and Dlink.

Personally I wouldn't go for the N type stuff. Expensive and unless you also have a N type adapter you're just using it as a normal G type network. Plus it's in draft stage anyway. I'd wait for it to be standard before investing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

What'd be your recommendation then robins?

Remember, I'd be trying to connect the laptop with the dodgy 2200BG.

Thanks.

Well I've no hands on experience with DSL modems I'm afraid (I'm IBB). So I'm just basing my choices on experience with other netgear and dlink equipment which I found to be good.

Maybe look the modems up on amazon.co.uk and have a read of the reviews to give you an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

IBB - sorry for your troubles!

Cheers, I'll do just that.

SwampThing wrote:
    IBB - sorry for your troubles!
    Meh, works fine for me. Def faster than most people for upload. 5Mbps :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement