Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codename: Kentsfield - License to chill

• 27-08-2006 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

From wikipedia:

Conroe XE

By the end of 2006 Intel plans to introduce the Core 2 Extreme X6900, which is slated to clock at 3.2 GHz, while keeping the same FSB speed, L2 cache size, socket, and TDP.

According to leaked info, Intel is to release another Conroe XE in the 4th quarter of 2006, model X8000 with 3.33GHz and 1333MHz FSB QDR.

Kentsfield

Kentsfield is the codename for the first quad-core version of the Conroe processor. The new Core 2 Extreme will arrive with a clock speed of 2.67 GHz, more L2 cache and substantially higher power consumption. Kentsfield will be the next Core 2 Extreme processor. Unlike AMD's 4x4 (which is two dual-core dies connected with a Hypertransport bus), Kentsfield will be a one socket solution, with two E6700 chips connected together by a 1066 MHz FSB on one MCM, resulting in lower costs but less bandwidth to the northbridge.

Why is it they don't connect two of these upcoming X8000 and combine the best of what they will have instead of using two E6700s?

From reading the wikipedia article pasted above one can see that intel plans to release two XE chips at the same time, one the X8000 and the second the Kentsfield I find it a bit confusing.

Also what do you guys think the shelf life of overclocking these chips is? After spending upwards of €1000 one I should very much like to stick it into a server when replaced after a few years, is this possible or will it be too screwed up from overclocking by even the most careful of ocers? (which I am not but for arguments sake)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i have a old amd 3000+ 400fsb here, and its been overclocked and watercooled all its life. Its still going strong now on my ubuntu box.

I think all this overclocking will shorten the life of your pcu is rubbish tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lonnbeimnech

Here's hoping :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Why is it they don't connect two of these upcoming X8000 and combine the best of what they will have instead of using two E6700s?

Thermal envelope, 4 cores pumping out loads of heat makes for a bad chip.
    From reading the wikipedia article pasted above one can see that intel plans to release two XE chips at the same time, one the X8000 and the second the Kentsfield I find it a bit confusing.

When has Intels processer numbering system not been confusing to anybody but the hardcore tech enthusiast.
    Also what do you guys think the shelf life of overclocking these chips is? After spending upwards of €1000 one I should very much like to stick it into a server when replaced after a few years, is this possible or will it be too screwed up from overclocking by even the most careful of ocers? (which I am not but for arguments sake)

You had better ask yourself what do you think the usefull shelf life of any chip is? Overclocking with high temps can shorten a chips life, but by the time that comes into play the chip is worthless anyway. Only the overclockers with stupid amounts of money buy the best chips, normal overclockers will buy the ones with the best possible potential, eg the 6600E

krazy_8s wrote:
    Only the overclockers with stupid amounts of money buy the best chips, normal overclockers will buy the ones with the best possible potential, eg the 6600E
    L31mr0d wrote:
    P.S: Get a good CPU cooler with your order from Komplett, the whole point of getting a 6600 is that they have the best overclock to price ratio of the conroes.

I understand what you guys mean by the best possible potential and overclock to price ratio as the E6600 is less than half the monetary price of the X6800 but I'm sure this doesn't correlate on the vavavoom factor.

It's just I've been saving for this build for a long time but because I'll be working with alot of multimedia/encoding etc and I don't mind saving another month on top of the time I'm projecting to construct to make up the difference from a E6600 bought on komplett for €345 and an (as we don't have anything hire to compare price too) X6800 bought on ebay for €693 although I would have to be sure I was covered if the goods didn't arrive intact.

I've read on wikipedia:

It (X6800) does come with an unlocked multiplier, however, allowing it to basically simulate any E6x00 with 4 MB of L2 cache. This also allows it to gain a better overclocking ability than the other Core 2 processors, with up to a 14X multiplier.

Benchmarking tests in multimedia and gaming have shown that the X6800 can lead the best AMD processor by up to 36% in performance. Overclocking proves more promising, as Intel allows the user to change the multiplier number. The X6800 has shown the ability to be overclocked to 3.4 GHz on Intel's stock cooler with no increase in voltage to the system components.

I do see your point in that I would save a large amount of cash starting now by buying the chips with the best possible potential and overclock to price ratio as to be able to replace them more frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Why the heck do you keep quoting wikipedia.. IIRC anyting from the X6600 beats the highest Athlon64 X2/FX processor on most canned benchmarks. Just read reviews and come to your own conclusions. Then discuss your conclusions with someone else who has conclusions.

Buying the X6800 is a waste of time/money unless you are planning to use some insane cooling. That is the only way you are really going to see the benefits of having an unlocked multiplier. On air you will only get a OC in the region of 15/20% while with the X6600 you will be able to get something in the region of 30/35% easily for less than half the price. The price premium just is not worth it.

Read the table in the first post and look at what coolers, MB and RAM are being used. Any extra money would be better spent there so that you can get the max OC possible. Note the speeds that can be reached on the 6300 that costs a 5th of the price.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792

So you can get within 90% of the performance offered by a €1000 euro chip for €175

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Pentium_Core_Duo2.html

Regarding your concerns about the Kentfield and higher FSB bus speeds that they will offer. Those bus speeds are available in the Xeon range of processors based in the Conroe architecture. You can get these processors in Dell's new range of workstations.

• Advertisement

I've been quoting wikipedia because I'm new to self builds and have been reading alot from there about architectures of different processors, overclocking and multipliers etc etc. I'm broadening my horizons to other more specialized websites but like I said I'm still only learning.

With the benefit of the links you posted, some other benchmarks I've seen, other posters and your good self I can now see why the X6800 isn't worth the extra money and the E6600 is the one to overclock on of the current selection.

I can appreciate that the money is better spent on coolers, motherboard and ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hes catching on quick isnt he lads ;)

I think we'll keep this one

shamoan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

1st RULE: You do not talk about tweaking/modding .

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about tweaking/modding .

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp,keeps on banging.

4th RULE: Only two guys to a orgy.

5th RULE: One orgy at a time.

6th RULE: No toys, no shoes.

7th RULE: orgys will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at a orgy , you HAVE to do it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

awhir wrote:
    1st RULE: You do not talk about tweaking/modding .

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about tweaking/modding .

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp,keeps on banging.

4th RULE: Only two guys to a orgy.

5th RULE: One orgy at a time.

6th RULE: No toys, no shoes.

7th RULE: orgys will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at a orgy , you HAVE to do it..
    I go Tuesdays and Saturdays :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

SickBoy wrote:
    I go Tuesdays and Saturdays :D

ok your booked in with the new 1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Theres a guy on my DC team whacked a Kentsfield onto one of the projects in my sig. A true Monster. BTW he had it at over 3Ghz! Not sure of cooling though, but not a hugh amount of heat.

Advertisement