Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL Binoculars again 10 x 50 €19.99

Options
  • 27-08-2006 1:52pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060904.p.Binoculars

Looks like the Meade ones again :)

They are as cheap as chips, at the price you can't go wrong, for a first set or a spare or one for the kids so they don't borrow an expensive set or just to leave in the car.

Yes you can get better binoculars, but only if you spend a lot more.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Nope not Meade's Binoculars

Meade 10x50 Travel View:
    opticsplanet_1908_78826334
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/meade-travel-view-10x50-full-size-porro-prism-binoculars-b120103.html

But for €19.99 you can't go far wrong, i'll probably pick them up with the Digital Compass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A good set of 10 by 50s are great. No astronomer should be without them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭seinstein

Great stuff guys!, I've been wondering about buying Bi-nocs or a telscope.
    I like astronomy and also like aircraft so why not combine them. i.e. when a cloud covers the sky above me i can watch the planes land.
    But would the nocs do?, you see Swords airport is about 9 to 12 miles away,
    so ould the nocs be strong enough.
    You said they are 10x50, what exactly does that mean?
    I' ve been using my dad's 25x scope is 25x stronger than 10x50?
    I'll probably buy the nocs anyway I was curious if any1 can help....
    Thanx all...:)

PS-damn those MAYOnaise scum....1 lousy point and they think they own the GAA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

seinstein wrote:
    Great stuff guys!, I've been wondering about buying Bi-nocs or a telscope.
    I like astronomy and also like aircraft so why not combine them. i.e. when a cloud covers the sky above me i can watch the planes land.
    But would the nocs do?, you see Swords airport is about 9 to 12 miles away,
    so ould the nocs be strong enough.
    You said they are 10x50, what exactly does that mean?
    I' ve been using my dad's 25x scope is 25x stronger than 10x50?
    I'll probably buy the nocs anyway I was curious if any1 can help....
    Thanx all...:)

PS-damn those MAYOnaise scum....1 lousy point and they think they own the GAA.

The 10x50 stands for 10x magnification and the objective lenses are 50mm in diameter, so there a pretty big pair for just €20

And whether its better than that scope is up to the diameter of the objective lense and their focal ratio.

what does it say on the scope 25x50 or 8x25?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭seinstein

Yeah it says 25x50 so i guess it's 2 & 1/2 times more powerful than the nocs
    in LIDL. cool....:)
    Also do you kno if there is any advantage of having 2 scopes, suchas binoculars as they have two lenses, 1 for each eye. But scopes have only 1
    lens, what affect would 2 lenses have on you vision?...:confused:
    So basically is it a good buy for just €20?????
    Cheers slade...:D

• Advertisement

seinstein wrote:
    Yeah it says 25x50 so i guess it's 2 & 1/2 times more powerful than the nocs
    in LIDL. cool....:)
    Also do you kno if there is any advantage of having 2 scopes, suchas binoculars as they have two lenses, 1 for each eye. But scopes have only 1
    lens, what affect would 2 lenses have on you vision?...:confused:
    So basically is it a good buy for just €20?????
    Cheers slade...:D

Binoculars just give you more of your peripheral vision, basically a wider view.

When using binoculars you should always space the two eye pieces at the correct width corresponding to the position of your eyes, so that you should get a clear, unstraining view. some people i know do not do this and end up with an odd divide in the middle of their view. when viewing properly as im sure most know, views from both eye pieces should overlap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

slade_x wrote:
    Nope not Meade's Binoculars

Meade 10x50 Travel View:
    opticsplanet_1908_78826334
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/meade-travel-view-10x50-full-size-porro-prism-binoculars-b120103.html

But for €19.99 you can't go far wrong, i'll probably pick them up with the Digital Compass

hmm, i bought the ones from lidl, and they look an awful lot like the ones on that link.

While it does not say meade on the box, when i opened it it did say meade on the warranty info. 5 year warranty. not bad for 20 bucks :)

Advertisement