Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Install taking ages

• 27-08-2006 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Came home last night, to find out that windows had noticed that some files it requires to run were replaced with unrecogizeable versions, and was asking for my XP 64bit CD. The AV was turned off, so I assumed this is a virus/trojan. So I put it in, but it still couldn't see it. I rebooted the machine, but still no joy.

So I tryed to do the reinstall/repair option. That went ok, but on restart, I noticed the computer didn't see the CD-ROM drive, and I found out that the PC only saw the CD-ROM drive if the PC was left off for a minute or so, then a fresh boot (didn't see it after a restart). So anyway, it continued on, and I left it do its thing last night, after waiting 30 minutes for it to fo from "39 minutes remaining" to "34 minutes remaining".

I woke up this morning, to find it asking for the sounddriver and still at the 34 minutes remaining mark (it says "Installing Devices"). So I cancel the sounddriver request, and contiue it. Its still on the 34 minute mark.

This ever happen to anyone before? The specs for the machine are 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, etc, as my sig says, so I don't think it should be taking this long.

Any help would be nice.

Update
    After 40 minutes, its gone down to 33 minutes :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

kind of sounds like you could do with formatting the hd before installing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only thing I've seen to cause this is I/O errors. The hard drive, cd drive, cd media or one of the I/O cables could be fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seamus wrote:
    The only thing I've seen to cause this is I/O errors. The hard drive, cd drive, cd media or one of the I/O cables could be fecked.
    Cool. Sounds like it, as the CD drive wasn't doing too well. They're IDE, and kind of new (came with the CD drive [DVD burner]). As for the HDD cable, its a SATA cable, so I'll have a look. Maybe a loose wire, or something :/

=-=

tman, no way will I be formatting the HDD beforehand. WAY too much stuff that I need on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just confirming it was caused by a virus/trojan. Just did a full reinstall on Windows. No problems. Didn't stop @ the 33 minute mark like what happened when I was doing a repair install with the previous windows.

Found a few files renamed to ".OwNeD" in the root, and "[ Project ] Inferiarum.OwNeD" was one of the files. I'd say it was lucky that I had 64bit windows, as some of the files had "run in 32 bit only" inside (opened them up with notepad), and had a "killhdd.exe", etc, on it.

Notch it up at lessons learnt. Gonna recover any files now, then do a virus scan to ensure all of it is gone.

Advertisement