Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silent ringtone??

• 27-08-2006 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Apparently there is one, and I want it! It is said that people over 30 cannot hear it, but I can.....(WAY over 30 :) )

http://audio.cbsnews.com/2006/06/12/audio1701350.mp3

Would come in rather handy..... Anyone know where I can get it without having to pay €5 a week??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

its called the mosquito ringtone and you need the .WAV format i think so that link is useless.

I will have a look anyway for it

EDIT: Found it!

http://www.jetcityorange.com/toys/17KHz.wav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Thanks - clicked on your link and it is anything but silent :D A real screech!

i know try listening to it for 20 mins (dont ask why).

I'm gonna ask
    why? I think I'd rather stab myself in the eye than have it on for 20 mins..

well i was bored in work and left it on for 20 mins and got older people to come in and asked them if they heard a screeching sound.oh and some people over 40 can hear it too. very surprised by that

• Advertisement

Erm, I'm not surprised at all, as it is not actually SILENT.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i have that on my phone, i use it to make small children that annoy me cry

Ha! that is mean.
    But how can I get it :)

dragona wrote:
    Erm, I'm not surprised at all, as it is not actually SILENT.

but for older people it should not be in their hearing range and thus would make it seem silent to older people.

@melekalikimaka:

evil b*stard haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dragona wrote:
    Ha! that is mean.
    But how can I get it :)

humm i can't remember where i gotit, ya could just convert it to mp3 and use it then.

small kids actually find it unbareable they start screaming and the parents are oblvious, its hilarious, especial when i worked in a shop and the month starts giving out to the kids and i'm sniggering with my phone under the counter

• Advertisement

here is a link to the mp3 version

http://www.freemosquitoringtone.com/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, unfortunately I can hear it. It sounds like a dodgy television transformer!

mp3 version is an iffy one try teh .WAV one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I can hear it, it sounds like a very high pitched tone.

My bother had it on his phone before and he told me I wouldn't be able to hear it because I'm too old (27 by the way:rolleyes: )

Am I hearing the right thing ? At what age is this inaudable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Hi all,

Well im 30 and i cant hear a thing.
    My hearing is kinda screwed from years of going to gigs tho.

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

there's no set age for not being able to hear it. its a 17kHz frequency. the official range of human hearing is 2kHz-20kHz but that's just the average. a five year old might not be able to hear it.

it would drive dogs mad because they can hear up to 100kHz. that's how dog whistles work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Put this on my phone last night, I can't hear anything and really thought I was being wound up and today in the car I put my bluetooth headset on and could hear it.

Then when I got home I tried it out on my 4 neices who range from ages 8 to 13 and they were going mad telling me to stop it.

Unbelievable really :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I am having great fun in work as its sending people mad :D

I keep playing it every hour or so and some people are saying they can hear noise and others can't and the people who can't hear it are thinking the others are crazy :p

Going to get the bus home tonight !!!! See what fun I can have there !!!

Can't believe a 30 year old man can have such fun with something so simple :o

I know! Its a scream! Through my speakers on the pc I can hear it as a screech - on my phone as an mp3 ringtone, I cant hear it at all but kids can - I was driving them mad with it last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

there's no set age for not being able to hear it. its a 17kHz frequency. the official range of human hearing is 2kHz-20kHz but that's just the average. a five year old might not be able to hear it.

it would drive dogs mad because they can hear up to 100kHz. that's how dog whistles work

As you get older you tend to not be able to hear higher frequencies that you once could. Just like how eyesight deteriorates.
    Everyone's different, but in general this is the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement