Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too old to start boxing

• 27-08-2006 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm 22 and currently unfit. I'm going to spend the next year running and working out and getting back in shape. When I am back in shape will be I too old to start boxing? Maybe something like Muay Thai Boxing would suit someone who hasn't had the benefit of training in the specified sport since childhood. I'm not looking for medals but I'd like to compete, keep fit and use it as an outlet for stress. What do you think rambo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'd say you're not too old (though I'm not sure about competition rules) and won't be in a year's time but if you leave it until "when [you] are back in shape" it's probably never going to happen. No matter what club you join (boxing or other), they are not going to expect you to be in great shape your first night down.

As regards whether you're too old or not, talk to the instructor but I'd say you ought to be fine. Certainly, you would be for muai thai or regular kick-boxing (or if there's an mma club near you, you ought to consider that if none of the others suit). I just advice not to give yourself an excuse to wait before you start. Start as soon as you can. Your fitness will catch up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

This type of thread pops up on the martial arts forum quite a lot.

You might be better learning Muay Thai (www.bridgestonemuaythai.com) because it caters for complete beginners of all shapes and sizes and boxing clubs generally don't.

About getting yourself fit, if you want to be fit for Thai or for normal boxing you'd be better training in the gym and doing the exercises that are relevant/specific to your sport. no harm loosing the belly though.

bottom line, start now and he fitness will come with technique. join later and you'll still need to get sport specific fit and you'll be starting from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

without been funny-the standard of 22-23 year old boxers is amazing and they would badly beat you. but there is novice tournaments that might suit you now and again-do that then move into kickboxing and you might do o'k..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Im 26 and started boxing about a month ago, a lot of guys between 15 - 20 started at the same time and they're still struggling...dont think ages matters that much as long as you keep yourself fit...

Competing is a different story alright tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You might be better learning Muay Thai (www.bridgestonemuaythai.com) because it caters for complete beginners of all shapes and sizes and boxing clubs generally don't.

I'd echo this. I'm 30. Just started doing Muay Thai a couple of weeks ago. Age isn't such an issue there, even if you want to compete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

Most boxing clubs will welcome you to train with them and are incredibly cheap to train in-my club is 5 euro a week-mon-fri. non profit.
    muay thai is o'k but more expensive and takes longer to learn and the standards are not the same as in thailand-and also is less practical in real life situations..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads if a lad came on to the GAA board wanting to take up hurling would ye tell him to take up cricket???

There are novice competitions for adult boxers up to the age of 29, but boxing does involve hard work hard training and supreme fitness, but most of all its a dicipline. If you don't have that your shot.

Advertisement